Torque Specifications - Still Searching

Gaylord Poe

Premium Member
I keep searching but have yet to find torque values and capacities for even the simplest maintenance tasks. The owners manual is lacking, and STILL no shop manual available! Looking for all drain and filler plug torque specs, final drive oil capacity. (BMW MOA video says 210ml but I would like to verify...same video(s) will not give torque #s...says “Look it up” and I’m saying “OK where?” Would be nice if a BMW tech would weigh in!

I keep searching but have yet to find torque values and capacities for even the simplest maintenance tasks. The owners manual is lacking, and STILL no shop manual available! Looking for all drain and filler plug torque specs, final drive oil capacity. (BMW MOA video says 210ml but I would like to verify...same video(s) will not give torque #s...says “Look it up” and I’m saying “OK where?” Would be nice if a BMW tech would weigh in!
If you are waiting for a service manual, have a seat and good luck.

The final drive fill plug has a copper crush washer and the drain plug has a rubber 'O' ring gasket. Just snug them up by feel and don't worry about it.

Since I also have a K1600B, I referred to its parts fiche and shop manual before exploring others. I started with finding part numbers for the R18 service items, then found those same parts used in other BMWs and used their torque references for my "pre-shop manual" service list. So the following info is not a recommendation by any means , it's my sharing the info that I personally will use until the shop manual is released. I will modify as needed/learned.

FLUIDS: Types and quantities are as found in the owner's manual.

OIL FILTER: Part# 11427673541 Torque: 11nm (or hand tighten until seated, then an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn)

OIL DRAIN PLUG: Crush Washer Part# 07119963252 Torque: 28nm

REAR DRIVE: Refill with 210ml (210ml is what I've found so far but...look for any leaks before draining, and measure what you drain). Fill Plug Crush Washer Part# 07119963132 Torque: 20nm, Drain Plug O-Ring Part# 33117695219 Torque 20nm

Since I also have a K1600B, I referred to its parts fiche and shop manual before exploring others. I started with finding part numbers for the R18 service items, then found those same parts used in other BMWs and used their torque references for my "pre-shop manual" service list. So the following info is not a recommendation by any means , it's my sharing the info that I personally will use until the shop manual is released. I will modify as needed/learned.

FLUIDS: Types and quantities are as found in the owner's manual.

OIL FILTER: Part# 11427673541 Torque: 11nm (or hand tighten until seated, then an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn)

OIL DRAIN PLUG: Crush Washer Part# 07119963252 Torque: 28nm

REAR DRIVE: Refill with 210ml (210ml is what I've found so far but...look for any leaks before draining, and measure what you drain). Fill Plug Crush Washer Part# 07119963132 Torque: 20nm, Drain Plug O-Ring Part# 33117695219 Torque 20nm

I know that nothing starts contentious debates like topics of oil & filters... but are most of you on board with using the Mahle OC306 oil filter?

I know that nothing starts contentious debates like topics of oil & filters... but are most of you on board with using the Mahle OC306 oil filter?

I just looked at the link and it states:
This does not fit your:

2021 BMW R 18

Your Garage (3)

See similar products that fit this vehicle:
Replacement Parts > Filters > Oil Filters & Accessories > Oil Filters
See all products that fit this vehicle

I just looked at the link and it states:
This does not fit your:

2021 BMW R 18

Your Garage (3)

See similar products that fit this vehicle:
Replacement Parts > Filters > Oil Filters & Accessories > Oil Filters
See all products that fit this vehicle

I did a search for the R18 OEM oil filter number and it matches the number listed in the Amazon listing, so it SHOULD be the right design. As for Amazon's vehicle-to-part recommendations, I've found it to be wrong almost as often as it's correct.

I did a search for the R18 OEM oil filter number and it matches the number listed in the Amazon listing, so it SHOULD be the right design. As for Amazon's vehicle-to-part recommendations, I've found it to be wrong almost as often as it's correct.
I'm not able to disagree with your comment...because I only buy OEM brands when it comes to service items. I've found it doesn't cost that much more and brand loyalty can help tremendously with "good will" when you have an out of warranty issue and need an assist from the manufacturer. As for Amazon in general I use it a lot (including for OEM brands) and have had very little trouble.

I called Mahle and the tech(40 years BMW experience)said that they are the same filter.Actually I ordered the factory part number from www.autohausaz and they sent me a OC306 but my receipt says 11427673541.You can also order some of the same crush washers from them.
Go figure,
Regards,Tom

btw,thx for the TQ settings.

I did a Final drive oil replacement the other day and look like i've drained about 250ml... i put back 210ml ... should i put back same amount i've drained?

Attachments

• 24F3944D-FA80-49D2-B050-7895AD80C24F.jpeg
    24F3944D-FA80-49D2-B050-7895AD80C24F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • FC00CB47-AED6-44C9-B60A-D48EAD72E26F.jpeg
    FC00CB47-AED6-44C9-B60A-D48EAD72E26F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • CE16A6AC-C60B-4388-A61D-63D83E6D1FF4.jpeg
    CE16A6AC-C60B-4388-A61D-63D83E6D1FF4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • C92C8C33-7A1E-4B03-9AFF-EC4224BCFFCC.jpeg
    C92C8C33-7A1E-4B03-9AFF-EC4224BCFFCC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
I did a Final drive oil replacement the other day and look like i've drained about 250ml... i put back 210ml ... should i put back same amount i've drained?

Appears to be another issue BMW keeps alive and well is the final drive fluid level.

Normally I would say replace with new fluid of similar volume, but the 210 you added is recommended in everything I have read or watched reference routine servicing. BUT, I would call your shop just to ensure you have the correct/latest specification. I say this after having owned several model year R1200 models that originally had lifetime fluid fills where BMW eliminated the drain plug and then reincorporating a plug and then changed recommended fill levels ultimately taking several years to settle their reliability concerns. If they won't confirm for some reason I'll gladly check with my shop.

Appears to be another issue BMW keeps alive and well is the final drive fluid level.

Normally I would say replace with new fluid of similar volume, but the 210 you added is recommended in everything I have read or watched reference routine servicing. BUT, I would call your shop just to ensure you have the correct/latest specification. I say this after having owned several model year R1200 models that originally had lifetime fluid fills where BMW eliminated the drain plug and then reincorporating a plug and then changed recommended fill levels ultimately taking several years to settle their reliability concerns. If they won't confirm for some reason I'll gladly check with my shop.
The only problem is that the bike its new to them, its not something they will know without looking further, and they don't like since we are not doing the service with them... thank you anyways Bob

Back