Tyre pressure warning

Anibal

Site Supporter
Ok, I was in my way from work today riding in the motorway at about 70mls/hr when suddenly my TFT went red and gave me a warning saying that the tyre pressure did not meet or match (can’t remember exactly)the set point or something like it and asked me to stop immediately.
Needless to say I thought I was toasted as I still had another 10 mls or so to go and being a Friday night at 6:00pm there are no chances of getting home at a decent time. Anyways, I pulled over the hard shoulder and checked the pressure on the TFT and the reading was normal. I did the old fashion tyre grab to feel any kind of softness on the tyres and they were solid like a rock. So I decided to carry on and the warning lights / message never came back. What the f**k was that all about? I intend to top up the pressure tomorrow as the reading has been since I bought it 2.7 at the front and 3.1 at the back and I believe it should be 2.9F and 3.2B which is not massively off as it is. Has anyone experienced something like this before? It was not particularly hot in the UK today. 21c the hottest.
Cheers

I've had one warning for pressures being out of spec, after tyres being replaced
by a BMW dealership, sorted by inflating to correct pressures. Also one after a rear
puncture, a piece of copper tube through the rear tyre.

See, I would accept that kind of scenarios but on mine was an all of a sudden for no reason warning. A real case scenario is alway a bit worrying if you are not close to home and on rural roads let alone throwing a warning for the hell of it.
I did not have a pressure drop on either tyre and after stopping the bike without switching the engine of the whole thing went away . One of those modern days gremlins I guess since everything is controlled by a computer or a couple.
Ride safely 👊

I have no idea how the tire pressure sensors work on cars and motorcycles; however, I have to assume it's wireless and maybe your bike was in close proximity to an RF source at or near the same frequency that is used by BMW?

I lose my TFT map screen everytime I pass through a very specific part of RT-17N/S in NJ (maybe for 100 meters or so); I suspect it's a co-channel Wi-Fi, which is strong enough that the TFT can't decode the Wi-Fi signal from my phone .

I have no idea how the tire pressure sensors work on cars and motorcycles; however, I have to assume it's wireless and maybe your bike was in close proximity to an RF source at or near the same frequency that is used by BMW?

I lose my TFT map screen everytime I pass through a very specific part of RT-17N/S in NJ (maybe for 100 meters or so); I suspect it's a co-channel Wi-Fi, which is strong enough that the TFT can't decode the Wi-Fi signal from my phone
Thank you for the suggestion.
The monitoring system is a clever sensor attached to the valve that is installed on the wheels and tells the vehicle if there is a drop in pressure. It is called TPMS.
Where the incident happened is on a stretch of motorway I have to drive by to go and come from work. This has only happened once so it could have been some sort of electronics fluke.

I had a similar experience on my GTL, Humming along on some back roads in NW Arkansas and all of a sudden RED Lights! Pulled over thinking the tire was going flat, Low and behold put an air gauge to it and it was fine. Road that way for another couple of hundred miles. Finally got it to the dealer (under warranty, and they replaced the sensor on the rim. I have also had them just quit working and got the yellow lights. Batteries in the sensor unit. on the rims. You can replace the batteries if so inclined a real PITA to be sure or get BMW to sell you a new sensor for a extremely high price. Or Option 3, buy the same sensor on Ebay or Amazon (don't remember which) for about 15 or twenty dollars (US). They are the same sensors BMW uses in autos. You will have to take the bike to the dealer if the new sensor doesn't calibrate to the bike. Took them all of about 45 minutes to get it calibrated. On my GTL I did go through 4 sensors in over 80K miles. While annoying it didn't hinder Safe operations. LOL

I had a similar experience on my GTL, Humming along on some back roads in NW Arkansas and all of a sudden RED Lights! Pulled over thinking the tire was going flat, Lo and behold put an air gauge to it and it was fine. Road that way for another couple of hundred miles. Finally got it to the dealer (under warranty, and they replaced the sensor on the rim. I have also had them just quit working and got the yellow lights. Batteries in the sensor unit. on the rims. You can replace the batteries if so inclined a real PITA to be sure or get BMW to sell you a new sensor for an extremely high price. Or Option 3, buy the same sensor on Ebay or Amazon (don't remember which) for about 15 or twenty dollars (US). They are the same sensors BMW uses in autos. You will have to take the bike to the dealer if the new sensor doesn't calibrate to the bike. Took them all of about 45 minutes to get it calibrated. On my GTL I did go through 4 sensors in over 80K miles. While annoying it didn't hinder Safe operations. LOL
Thank you for sharing Oscar. Hopefully this was a one off.

Just had this happen to me yesterday!!! WTF! Like others, I pulled.over, tire was perfect and pressure magically returned to normal following a restart.

The tech on this bike was supposed to be superior. Not working out that way so far. Starting to feel like this bike is exhausting all of the grace I've been willing to extend to it.

Reactions: 425
I’ve had that happen on my 2017 R1200RT. But it’s a 2017 so I just figured the battries were getting low. I replaced both… BTW, something like the GS911 scan tool will tell you what’s going on and in the case of my RT, it said something like sensor interferience.

yep. Happened to me on my recent big trip to North Carolina. That red screen freaked me out man. Guess better then actually blowing a tire. kept an eye on my tire pressures the rest of the trip and had no repeat of this false warning.

yep. Happened to me on my recent big trip to North Carolina. That red screen freaked me out man. Guess better then actually blowing a tire. kept an eye on my tire pressures the rest of the trip and had no repeat of this false warning.
Did you have to replaced the sensors and or the batteries to the sensors; what's the fix..? I'm assuming this can be done during the time when new tires get replaced..?

How long are these batteries supposed to last?

Did you have to replaced the sensors and or the batteries to the sensors; what's the fix..? I'm assuming this can be done during the time when new tires get replaced..?

How long are these batteries supposed to last?
Hi Scott. the batteries last 4-5 years in bikes (on average) they are sealed units and are replaced when the tyres are done upon request. BMW ones are fearfully expensive Aliexpress ones work. They need coding but your software can do that. The batteries can be user replaced but is a real PITA- for the sake of $25ea I would get new ones.

Just had this happen to me yesterday!!! WTF! Like others, I pulled.over, tire was perfect and pressure magically returned to normal following a restart.

The tech on this bike was supposed to be superior. Not working out that way so far. Starting to feel like this bike is exhausting all of the grace I've been willing to extend to it.
Not to fear....Had this happen on my '23 Honda Accord last month.....showed left rear tire low....checked air pressure and it was perfect. Shut down the engine, restarted and never repeated. Still perfect pressure a month later. Can happen to any vehicle.

If we drive too close to the presidential beast, the department vehicle's air pressure sensors all start lighting up due to the RF jamming signal; I'm wondering if maybe forum members experiencing a random tire pressure sensor failure, maybe drove close to some sort of RF transmitter?

If we drive too close to the presidential beast, the department vehicle's air pressure sensors all start lighting up due to the RF jamming signal; I'm wondering if maybe forum members experiencing a random tire pressure sensor failure, maybe drove close to some sort of RF transmitter?
That's a definite possibility.

I was riding through Congaree National Park. Nothing for miles.

Back