Went to the Mid-Atlantic Bike Days and saw a Bagger in the Flesh

tommymck

The local dealer sponsored a "bike show" an flat-track race. They had test rides for most of the current BMW line-up, and a Bagger, though they weren't offering rides on it. I generally liked the looks and vibe as something different, but it wasn't entirely my cup of tea. Fun time though...

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

I rode in on my Honda. It was funny because they waved the Japanese bikes to the back of the lot!

IMG_3092.jpg

Went on Sunday it rained torrential on one if my test rides...one of the most fun events ever.

Had been thinking about Harley PanAm or r1250GS/GSA as a commuter. After riding the R18 I was blown away.

First bagger has come up on my dealer's website. I was a bit shocked by the price: https://shop.maxbmw.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=1585
$28,800 is right in-line with the Indian Chieftan Limited at $27,999 and less than a Street Glide Special at $29,999. If they want to sell this model in the United States, those are the bikes that this will be competing with for sales. I sure hope it sells well, but if it follows the track record of our FEs, these may be available in the 20k range by next summer

I really like that bike and am very tempted, but just couldn't pull the trigger, be an early customer and get burnt again. Perhaps if the pricing would fall dramatically over the next 12 months, picking one up at a great discount would soften the sting of getting beaten up on my FE.

The local dealer sponsored a "bike show" an flat-track race. They had test rides for most of the current BMW line-up, and a Bagger, though they weren't offering rides on it. I generally liked the looks and vibe as something different, but it wasn't entirely my cup of tea. Fun time though...

View attachment 2341

View attachment 2342

View attachment 2343

View attachment 2344

I rode in on my Honda. It was funny because they waved the Japanese bikes to the back of the lot!

View attachment 2345

Since the turn signal/brake light is located on the saddle bags you won't have the option to ride without them.Kinda suprised they didn't use the lights on the R18....

Lastly,I never ride without my saddle bags or tour pack on my Indian so,I guess it won't be a issue for most.Just having that option would be nice.

Regards,Tom

I really like that bike and am very tempted, but just couldn't pull the trigger, be an early customer and get burnt again. Perhaps if the pricing would fall dramatically over the next 12 months, picking one up at a great discount would soften the sting of getting beaten up on my FE.
This is my train of thought as well. I do hope BMW does well with these but they're not versatile enough for me to justify spending that much on one. I might snag a full dresser if their price tank in a year or two.

Nice review & very cool machine.
I'm still glad I got the R18C since I already have a Tourer.

Regards,Tom

Echoing other posts here: like the Bagger a lot. Can't justify trading my Classic for one. Maybe in a year or two if prices drop dramatically--but I hope the bike defies predictions and sells well.

Saw one today at the dealer.Nice!
The bike is luxurious. The tour pack & saddle bags are really nice,but do not have the capacity than my Indian has.Not sure if 2 full face helmets will fit in the tour pack.Really like the gas tank capacity & front fender(wonder if it will fit the R18C).
I sat on it and found the Transcontinental to take more effort to get it off the kick stand.Much more the my R18C & yes more effort than my Indian.
Seemed taller with a higher center of gravity.
It is nothing like the R18C.Totally different frame & the forks are behind the steering neck.
More in tune with a Goldwing,Ultra or Roadmaster.It is a beautiful machine & I am not knocking it 1 bit.
Just sayin, to those not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
I purchased the R18C specficly to install a sidecar since its has reverse.While I am waiting on the sidecar,I found the R18C to be a great motorcycle.It has really supprised me.It is just plain cool.SoLo to the ground with great handling and easy to ride.

To be honest,I like the R18&R18C enough that I one could purchase a Corbin Fairing & their Hard Bags if you desire a tourer.Maybe a longer aftermarket shock to get a little more travel from the rear suspension would be my only addition.

Regards,Tom

Saw one today at the dealer.Nice!
The bike is luxurious. The tour pack & saddle bags are really nice,but do not have the capacity than my Indian has.Not sure if 2 full face helmets will fit in the tour pack.Really like the gas tank capacity & front fender(wonder if it will fit the R18C).
I sat on it and found the Transcontinental to take more effort to get it off the kick stand.Much more the my R18C & yes more effort than my Indian.
Seemed taller with a higher center of gravity.
It is nothing like the R18C.Totally different frame & the forks are behind the steering neck.
More in tune with a Goldwing,Ultra or Roadmaster.It is a beautiful machine & I am not knocking it 1 bit.
Just sayin, to those not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
I purchased the R18C specficly to install a sidecar since its has reverse.While I am waiting on the sidecar,I found the R18C to be a great motorcycle.It has really supprised me.It is just plain cool.SoLo to the ground with great handling and easy to ride.

To be honest,I like the R18&R18C enough that I one could purchase a Corbin Fairing & their Hard Bags if you desire a tourer.Maybe a longer aftermarket shock to get a little more travel from the rear suspension would be my only addition.

Regards,Tom
The travel of the rear suspension is limited by the driveshaft to frame clearance.
You would need to modify the frame.
Driveshaft Frane Ckearance.JPGrear febder complete.JPG

And less favourable again;

$28,800 is right in-line with the Indian Chieftan Limited at $27,999 and less than a Street Glide Special at $29,999. If they want to sell this model in the United States, those are the bikes that this will be competing with for sales. I sure hope it sells well, but if it follows the track record of our FEs, these may be available in the 20k range by next summer
I stand corrected on my previous comment. At $28,800, the First Edition R18 B has these features that a StreetGlide Special ($29,800) and Indian Chieftan Limited ($27,999) do not have at those respective price points:
-speakers/amps in bags
-heated grips and heated seat
-adaptive cruise control
-adaptive headlight
-reverse assist
-hill start assist
All of these are very pricey add-ons to the other bikes, some of which are not even available on the other bikes.
-the 10.5 inch informational screen is much nicer than Indians, though Indian’s is touch screen. Harley’s screen and system is so laughably inferior that it’s barely worth mentioning. The Indian Chieftan Elite has some of these features, plus an individualized paint job, but will set you back $33,900. The Harley CVO is around $43,000, but does have the 117 motor, so not a straight-up comparison there.The one huge miss on the R18 B is lack of power windscreen. Advantage Indian there. The StreetGlide is Harleys biggest seller, yet they do not have a power windscreen. The Blacked-out R18 B can be had with all of the above-mentioned features as the FE, minus the chrome and pinstripes, for $26,600, making it a significant price point advantage versus it’s peers.

I stand corrected on my previous comment. At $28,800, the First Edition R18 B has these features that a StreetGlide Special ($29,800) and Indian Chieftan Limited ($27,999) do not have at those respective price points:
-speakers/amps in bags
-heated grips and heated seat
-adaptive cruise control
-adaptive headlight
-reverse assist
-hill start assist
All of these are very pricey add-ons to the other bikes, some of which are not even available on the other bikes.
-the 10.5 inch informational screen is much nicer than Indians, though Indian’s is touch screen. Harley’s screen and system is so laughably inferior that it’s barely worth mentioning. The Indian Chieftan Elite has some of these features, plus an individualized paint job, but will set you back $33,900. The Harley CVO is around $43,000, but does have the 117 motor, so not a straight-up comparison there.The one huge miss on the R18 B is lack of power windscreen. Advantage Indian there. The StreetGlide is Harleys biggest seller, yet they do not have a power windscreen. The Blacked-out R18 B can be had with all of the above-mentioned features as the FE, minus the chrome and pinstripes, for $26,600, making it a significant price point advantage versus it’s peers.
Forgot a few more things:

-power locking bags R18B yes, Chieftan yes and Streetglide no.

-automatic adjusting suspension R18B yes, Chieftan and Streetglide no.

The difference in suspension between the R18 and R18 B is night and day. Not even close. Completely different bike.

And less favourable again;
From the Revzilla review:
"Downshifts at the heel weren't much better with the lever's odd height."
Um... the heel shifter is for up-shifts. :ROFLMAO: Yeah, they definitely know what they're talking about...

Back