Wheel size change

Hello,

Stock wheel r18 b comes 16R 19F. Anyone knows what the pros and cons would be if i change the rear to 17 or 18? Thanks!

Well, even if it actually fits (without further modifications) the larger rear wheel will probably mess up your speedo accuracy, possibly trigger fault codes because front & rear wheel speeds will be different to what the system/CANBUS/sensors all expect to see, obviously alter the geometry and ride height and then make the handling different. Different good, different bad 🤷‍♂️. The side stand might no longer work properly because the bike will be higher off the ground and lastly your insurance would need to be informed because it’s a modification and over here in the UK they would most likely refuse to cover it. Those are just my thoughts and none of it maybe right.

Last edited:
Well, even if it actually fits (without further modifications) the larger rear wheel will probably mess up your speedo accuracy, possibly trigger fault codes because front & rear wheel speeds will be different to what the system/CANBUS/sensors all expect to see, obviously alter the geometry and ride height and then make the handling different. Different good, different bad 🤷‍♂️. The side stand might no longer work properly because the bike will be higher off the ground and lastly your insurance would need to be informed because it’s a modification and over here in the UK they would most likely refuse to cover it. Those are just my thoughts and none of it maybe right.
Thank you for your informative response. Trying to personalize my bagger.

In the states, wheel size changes don't require a phone call to the insurance company (under normal circumstances), especially one inch, AFAIK.

One note: Because the rear wheel will have a larger diameter, be sure that your bike still rides parallel to the deck. Otherwise handling WILL be adversely impacted, especially braking, as this will promote diving. If the bike's frame leans forward, despite suspension tweaks, you may want to match the front wheel diameter to keep the overall bike parallel to the deck. However...I don't "think" this will be an issue in your case 🤷‍♂️?

Even modified show bikes with tiny front wheels still have parallel frames, albeit with exaggerated suspension components, to ensure the safety of the rider going down the road.

Mike

It's perfectly fine to run an 18" rear tire. It changes almost nothing if your tire size aspect ratio is also changed to keep the same tire diameter as the 16" with higher aspect ratio .

Back