Wilbers Shock on base model.

Picture with Wilbers +20mm installed. Headed out for my first decent ride (120klms) on the weekend and it was a
200% improvement Vs the demo I rode a few months ago. Along the same country road with bumps and dips. It drops about 15mm when hop on.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Picture with Wilbers +20mm installed. Headed out for my first decent ride (120klms) on the weekend and it was a
200% improvement Vs the demo I rode a few months ago. Along the same country road with bumps and dips. It drops about 15mm when hop on.
Fwiw.... mine (+20mm) was delivered with a bit much preload.... almost no static sag.... I ended up backing off preload to get 8mm static sag and just under 30mm rider in gear sag.

I assume the bike you test road may have not had the rear preload set?

Fwiw.... mine (+20mm) was delivered with a bit much preload.... almost no static sag.... I ended up backing off preload to get 8mm static sag and just under 30mm rider in gear sag.

I assume the bike you test road may have not had the rear preload set?
Correct, the preload was not set so I adjusted it myself (ex mechanic). It did improve the ride a lot. I later heard about Wilbers, and it has taken compliance and rebound to another level.
That together with the Option 719 seat, and I’m a happy rider.

I finalised the "Wilbers" set up of my R18 today.... did a 200km fastish ride on my local roads (mostly hills) and am now satisfied with it. I have the +20 rear shock, wilbers fork springs, 7.5w fork oil and YSS emulators installed in the forks.

I rode the same route last week on my other bike to re-familurise myselfy with a base line of suspension performance so I did not aproach todays R18 ride with unrealistic expectations.

Anyway..... points of note (83kg rider in gear)

1. All the good points of stock suspension (stable, turns well etc) still....
2. Less harsh on poorer surfaced roads, less bottoming out.
3. Less peg scraping..... really almost none... none today.

I ended up setting less rear spring preload then how it was shipped.... so 25mm (for 7mm static sag and about 30mm rider sag) not 31mm.... but dampening was set about right.... (I had played with dampening a bit before revisiting preload).

The forks are a bit softer now ..... but I haven't measured sag because I'm a bit lazy and the fork shrouds make it difficult. No reason to bother playing with other oil viscosities or adjusting the YSS emulator as rebound and compression dampening (fast and slow) seem ok. I have ridden over lots of speed humps and fast railway crossings.... and all is better than stock....

Some of my earlier frustration was probally caused by the change of seat to a "Homage" one at the sametime..... in my view the Homage seat brings a degree of harshness via ones butt.... (for a more favourable hip angle etc).....anyway.... replacing the metal seat risers (that I added to raise the seat an inch or so) with urethane ones with some give in them has taken the edge off this aspect of the seat.... especially with sharp high speed road irregularities (say 50-60mph... tree roots pushing up road surface.... quite common on Adelaide Hills back roads).

I'm not overly sure if the YSS emulators are a real benefit.... they are on my R nine t scrambler.... I really notice the difference on unsealed roads when I hit unavoidable pot holes.... like after rain etc.... a world of difference on that bike (they bring proper high speed compression dampening adjustability).... but.... I don't ride those roads on the R18.... I think most of the R18 fork benefit I'm feeling is the new springs and slightly lighter (as wilbers recomend) fork oil.... but.... the emulators are only $150 in the scheme of things..... and I don't have to slow as much for shoping centre speed humps now....

Last edited:
Can you use the stock preload adjuster hex head on the Wilber? I like the location for access as it’s tucked away but easily accessible

Last edited:
Can you use the stock preload adjuster hex head on the Wilber? I like the location for access as it’s tucked away but easily accessible
I got told no.

Also... if paying additional for their preload adjuster (as opposed to the standard manual rings)... the shock comes with a shorter spring... the supplier in Australia could not tell me if that reduced shock travel from their 100mm and 115mm (+20mm).... keep in mind stock travel is 90mm (in my view there would be some trade off... but who knows... haha... wilbers off course!). I would look up the contact page (on the HQ site in Germany) and ask them... they responded to my questions around travel.... I don't think some of the country distributors know much.

With the stock collars... one does need to remove the seat to use the tool that comes with the shock.... but... one can adjust it via the RHS side cover.... with a screw driver and a hammer... a bit rough for some I'm sure.

Last edited:
I got told no... if paying additional for their preload adjuster (as opposed to the standard manual rings)... the shock comes with a shorter spring...

With the stock collars... one does need to remove the seat to use the tool that comes with the shock.... but... one can adjust it via the RHS side cover.... with a screw driver and a hammer... a bit rough for some I'm sure.
Ugh, this seems irritating as a solution, especially if you’re desiring the extra +20 increase in clearance. If the R&D is going into the product, I’d expect a solution to adjust them to be also considered and easy to do. I love Ohlins for that reason among serviceability.

Ugh, this seems irritating as a solution, especially if you’re desiring the extra +20 increase in clearance. If the R&D is going into the product, I’d expect a solution to adjust them to be also considered and easy to do. I love Ohlins for that reason among serviceability.
I think you are reading something into my reply that I didn't intend......

There’s a few places I could post but seeing as this thread is active and related to what I want to write I’ll go here…..my bike is stock BTW.

I’ve had my R18 a year now, really happy with it. I’m 115kg or 253lbs so not a light rider. I prefer bigger and heavier bikes because they feel more comfortable under me, I don’t overwhelm them if you know what I mean. Anyway, to the point.

After a few weeks of ownership (and reading up on this forum) I initially set my rear shock on 6 turns clockwise, from fully backed off (bearing mind by fully backed off I mean where you just start to feel resistance turning clockwise). This made a difference and I was quite happy with that so left it there. Until today. Don’t know what made me think of it but I was curious so added a couple more turns clockwise (making 8 altogether) before I went out for a short ride and what surprised me was how I could really notice a positive difference. I promise you this is not some placebo thing either. Riding on exactly the same roads at the same speeds I always do the bike was way more plush at the rear, especially going over sharp ridges in the road where it would previously jar a bit.

I fully appreciate comfort is subjective and why owners go down the aftermarket shock route but honestly, if you haven’t experimented with your rear preload I would absolutely encourage you to try. As long as you record where you start from you can always return it if it doesn’t work out.

After returning from my ride I was delighted with it. So much so that as soon as the kettle went on I knew I was going to share on here. I may even try a bit more preload yet, don’t know but I hope this may be of use to some of you and save a bundle of cash too.

Just an update. I've now replaced the front coils with Wilbers zero friction progressive fork springs. To be honest I didn't notice an immediate improvement like the Wilbers rear shock until I rode across undulations, and on back roads the fronts made the riding experience a whole lot easier, especially vibration wise. A significant improvement on long rides and I was less fatigued after a day of riding.

https://www.wilbers.de/shop/en/Moto...ring-Zero-friction-progressive.html?year=2023

Last edited:
Just an update. I've now replaced the front coils with Wilbers zero friction progressive fork springs. To be honest I didn't notice an immediate improvement like the Wilbers rear shock until I rode across undulations, and on back roads the fronts made the riding experience a whole lot easier, especially vibration wise. A significant improvement on long rides and I was less fatigued after a day of riding.

https://www.wilbers.de/shop/en/Moto...ring-Zero-friction-progressive.html?year=2023
On the Wilbers site the notes state 120mm air chamber is recommended. What are they referring to?
And much fork oil was required to do the spring swap?

Last edited:
Back