Wireless Phone Charger Project R18 B / TC

That one is just "PLA+" so it definitely won't handle any significant heat. It's probably only good to like 100 degrees or so at best (inside the cubby).

So after I play around with it a bit I am planning on getting one printed with heat resistant ABS or nylon.

That one is just "PLA+" so it definitely won't handle any significant heat. It's probably only good to like 100 degrees or so at best (inside the cubby).

So after I play around with it a bit I am planning on getting one printed with heat resistant ABS or nylon.
I was more thinking about the phone and vibration dampening ... rather than the heat :)

Hmm, that is an interesting prospect. Although vibration should be much less of a concern if the phone is not "clamped" in to something as a portion of the shock is lost just in the ability of the phone to wiggle freely of what it is sitting on.

But I may noodle on that a little. Maybe a thin rubber sheet cut on a Cricut as an overlay.

But my phone case is soft TPU.

Hmm, that is an interesting prospect. Although vibration should be much less of a concern if the phone is not "clamped" in to something as a portion of the shock is lost just in the ability of the phone to wiggle freely of what it is sitting on.

But I may noodle on that a little. Maybe a thin rubber sheet cut on a Cricut as an overlay.

But my phone case is soft TPU.
... like I said, just a thought :)

I am still working on finding specific connectors for the charger side of the wiring. The bike side uses a common BMW plug that is easy to find, but the connector for the charger side is harder to figure out. My first try was a BMW X1 fog light cable - grabbed a used one and it didn't work. Next attempt is on its way from eBay - I think I found that its an injector plug that is used on BMW, Audi & Volkswagen.

I designed a fancier plate and 3d printed it out. Don't judge me too much, it is my first 3D printer project ever. Also - I purposefully left it kind of with the rough sanded finish on top because I think it goes well with the bike - instead of shining it up...

View attachment 14207 View attachment 14208
View attachment 14209 View attachment 14210

WOW...!! Looks great.. It would be ideal if your design allowed for the phone cradle to sit deeper within the cubby space; additionally, if you can keep the cradle surface somewhat thinner, this would also allow for a 12V DC wireless charging puck to be easily integrated into the underside of your design.

Your design would allow each R18 B and or TC owner to optimize the placement of the charging puck, based on the individual phone manufacturer, before committing to the mounting position.

How can I get a printed prototype, I'll integrate the charging puck onto it; I think the BMW cooling fan assembly isn't necessary, as long as the cradle has holes drilled through it to allow for air movement?

Yeah, I have ideas for other designs too.

My first one may be to keep it simple like it is but add a pocket underneath or something to stash goodies.

I chose to go wired instead of wireless because wireless charging generates so much more heat.

I have holes and grooves in this design to allow for air to move around somewhat but looking at what is underneath there I just don’t think there is a *ton* of airflow potential anyway - just maybe the heat sink of the metal gas tank down there and a little extra room. But without the active airflow from the fan - it may all just be a placebo.

So wired charging producing less heat than wireless is a big part of my design.

I have lots of ideas and am just learning the tools. ;)

Back