Wunderlich Shift Lever Extenders

Rolf

Hello BMW Friends! Had a hard time finding the heel-toe shift levers and installed these Wunderlich Extenders. Trying to find that right combination of boot space comfort and hitting the shifter just right..... in case you are not familiar, the front lever is longer.... so wondering what you all are doing to find the right combination.... I raised the front lever a few splines and am also considering trying, switching the front lever inboard and the rear lever to the outside. Your thoughts appreciated. 👍PXL_20230927_190605460.jpg

My thoughts and observations on ergonomics is do whatever suits you.
For an example. Years ago when I stood naturally my feet would be at a 10 till 2 position. After a motorcycle wreck where I broke my left leg quite badly the surgeon set my leg at 12 o'clock so now I naturally stand at 2 o'clock which alters the position of your feet in relation to the controls.
I would never have come up with this other than through personal experience.
For those doubters, just stand up naturally and look at the position your feet point in:)

Thank YOU for sharing your insights.... I agree.... just need to ride more, be observant and adjust to comfort and ergonomics. Thanks!

Hello BMW Friends! Had a hard time finding the heel-toe shift levers and installed these Wunderlich Extenders. Trying to find that right combination of boot space comfort and hitting the shifter just right..... in case you are not familiar, the front lever is longer.... so wondering what you all are doing to find the right combination.... I raised the front lever a few splines and am also considering trying, switching the front lever inboard and the rear lever to the outside. Your thoughts appreciated. 👍View attachment 11856
I followed another member's suggestion and swapped the levers mounting position on the shaft:
- moved the toe (front) lever to the inside if the shaft and
- moved the heel (rear) lever to the outside if the shaft.
Almost perfect... I still, occasionaly, have difficulty with a rolling downshift into 1st gear (size 11/46 riding boots). The heel shifter placement works great. Gonna try a Hornig extender on the toe lever to see if that does the job.

I spent a month trying different things..... inc getting the wunderlich things.... picture is where I landed in the end.

I swapped the toe and heel shifter.... I was working with the fish tail exhaust.... and I was looking to not have to lift whole foot.... this is perfect for me....

The major issue I was up against was getting the heel shifter low enough so that it would shift without fowling the seam on the fish tail exhaust.... whilst wanting to keep my foot on the board and just raising the heel a bit (so pivoting on the ball of the foot... amazing quick clutchless upshifts are very smooth when in hoon mode).

On this bike I am 100% heel shifting.

20230620_114727.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! With a 10.5" boot there is not a lot of foot room.... so I am experimenting, for now the front is up high so I can have my foot square on the board.... with it low, the front of my boot hits the shifter and I have to go toe out.... it's a bit awkward to have to raise my foot to downshift.... especially if there is a lot of in town shifting.... for touring it's better up to give me that room..... I will also try what you are doing.... it looks like you are near or below the deck on the front..... thanks for your input. 👍

Nice! With a 10.5" boot there is not a lot of foot room.... so I am experimenting, fo. 👍
I'm a size 10.... but I don't ride with boots so much.... more this type of thing....

AS2512322110006-c.jpg

I tried with the boots I ride my scambler with and they were to "stiff" for my liking.... I think it gets back to me wanting to flex my foot to get my heel on the shifter rather then lifting my leg.

Yes, that probably makes a big difference.... I rode a short distance with tennis shoes on and had no problems... with big boots it's a definitely tight.

Yes, that probably makes a big difference.... I rode a short distance with tennis shoes on and had no problems... with big boots it's a definitely tight.
I do the same. Tennis shoes are perfect and super comfortable but unfortunately not the appropriate footwear for motorcycling. I also have the Alpinestars canvas boots which are very comfortable to walk around but not so comfortable riding the B because the limited movement you have when your feet are on a flat position over the floorboards.

Okay, got my shifter dialed in. Just finished another ride 1500 miles to North Carolina and back and this worked a charm.

The Hornig FRONT shift lever extender cap thingy, in addition to fiddling about with levers, has me happy with my set-up. Took me about 3-4 re-configurations over a few thousand miles to get here. Btw, the Hornig bit is the only aftermarket part I utilized; the levers are what stock came on the bike.

For reference: Size 11/46 leather motorcycle boots, BMW-branded but made by an Italian company whose name escapes me (and I'm too lazy right now to go and dig 'em out of the closet to look) same as I wear on the GS on and offroad.

Recap below:
I followed another member's suggestion and swapped the levers mounting position on the shaft:
- moved the toe (front) lever to the inside if the shaft and
- moved the heel (rear) lever to the outside if the shaft.
Almost perfect... I still, occasionaly, have difficulty with a rolling downshift into 1st gear (size 11/46 riding boots). The heel shifter placement works great. Gonna try a Hornig extender on the toe lever to see if that does the job.

Okay, got my shifter dialed in. Just finished another ride 1500 miles to North Carolina and back and this worked a charm.

The Hornig FRONT shift lever extender cap thingy, in addition to fiddling about with levers, has me happy with my set-up. Took me about 3-4 re-configurations over a few thousand miles to get here. Btw, the Hornig bit is the only aftermarket part I utilized; the levers are what stock came on the bike.

For reference: Size 11/46 leather motorcycle boots, BMW-branded but made by an Italian company whose name escapes me (and I'm too lazy right now to go and dig 'em out of the closet to look) same as I wear on the GS on and offroad.

Recap below:
Thank YOU for sharing...

Word of warning...the Wunderlich pegs are right hand threaded. The natural motion of shifting tends to loosen them despite application of thread locker. Check them frequently.

Back