…almost traded my bagger in for a TC. The numbers just don’t work.

adamchandler

I was tempted to sell my bagger. For those who don’t know, my R18 Bagger First Edition is a 2021. I wanted to buy a different color but black FE was all they had at MaxBMW last year. I know ya’ll love the pinstripes and black but it’s just not my thing. I love flashy.

Over the last 8 months, I’ve taken my bagger which I paid $19,500 for at .9% interest and converted it into a TC. Out of pocket, something like $3500 to make it into a TC. All that’s left is the leg wind guars, TC windscreen, a working top box stereo, a working top box brake light and larger passenger foot rests. Everything about my bagger is TC at this point..with the added benefit that all of my trim is piano black instead of graphite.

A dealer who I won’t name has a 2022 TC, their last one. It’s a loaded model.
Premium + Select + Chrome design package + comfort seat + leg rests in the best color, Galaxy Dust which just looks amazing.

$22,999 is their list price and includes destination. At 0% interest, my $500 corporate discount and $1333 from BMW (first 4 payments on them), I thought it’d be worth asking about. I’d also be saving about $300 in interest by not taking my financed R18 at .9% interest to term and moving to a 0% interest bike. I always pay my bikes off early but it is money saved so let’s throw that in.

They did come back at $22,999 but then there’s the fees…
$500 for sales tax (okay not their fault but I come from NH and haven’t ever had to pay sales tax on a bike)
$100 for title fees
$500 in doc fees
$900 in added accessories (on top of their list price which I can’t have them remove (comfort seat + leg rests that I already own and would move over). Their add made me think those were included.

———

Sadly, things get worse. My R18 bagger is only worth $15,000 in their eyes. I’ve just been paying my payments so I owe $17,533. The value of my ‘transcontinental conversion’ is $0.

So all in, they’re asking me to finance $25,000 + $2500 (trade-in difference) for an ‘upgrade price’ of $27,500 to get myself a bike with 6K less miles and a working brake light + sound system oh and that beautiful purple color Which I do love! The 719 Galaxy w/ Chrome package is GORGEOUS. W/o that package, you get everything in a satin aluminum and not polished.

——-

No point to this thread at all but it is a reminder to all of us that it’s really nice to get a great deal on these R18s from the dealer but most of us haven’t had to deal with selling these bikes which are already in low demand so expecting top-dollar just isn’t realistic. Despite my bagger being $28K list and me paying 9K off in June, dealers aren’t going to offer depreciation off sticker. They’re going to offer out the door depreciation which equals $4500 in lost value from what I paid after just 9 months and 6K miles. Had I paid top dollar, my bike would have lost half its value in 9 months.

Given that my bagger which is well sorted and has everything but a top case stereo & brake light and my out of pocket interest is only $300 total in the remaining 45 payments, I think I’ll keep it.

Now, I will add that if anyone is interested in my bike and wants to put in an offer, I’d be happy to entertain tire-kickers. :) I’ll drive it anywhere for the right price. I love a ride & fly :)

I’m going to reply to the dealer and ask them to either offer me payoff for my bike or it’s not a deal And to remove those accessories that I don’t need since I’d be moving my comfort seat and leg rests over to the new bike. If that’s not possible, my bike is in a really good place and I learned a lesson on what the bagger is really worth.

Thanks for reading, I hope this was helpful to folks. Good thing i love the R18. Buyers remorse would have been very pricey!

Here’s the 719 TC w/ the chrome design package (from BMW’s press launch):
3Kq0nXe.jpeg

My local dealer has new Bagger models as low as $18,900 (and that's out the door price), so $15,000 for a used one doesn't seem like a bad trade offer. The dealer has to mark it up some to make it worth their while and they can't charge as much for a used one as a new one. If everyone was paying sticker for these they used ones would cost more, but that hasn't been the case.

It sounds like it may be more cost effective to add the extra bits from the TC to your bike, although that doesn't cover a color change of course. A good paint job can run a few bucks.

Good luck! I hope you come to a enjoyable solution.

Thank you, this is a good research on the current situation with prices. Also, it demonstrates one lesson I learned some time ago: if you are not sure that you are completely satisfied with the bike and that you plan to use it for a long time (5+ years), the price of mods is a cost, not an investment. So I usually only make mods that can be removed to bring the bike back to original condition and to sell the parts on eBay.

Adam,
"Great" example of the conundrum BMW and it's owners are in at this point in the R18 time line. A bit of this was covered in another thread and not to beat a dead horse, it's simply not good. I just saw on a BMW Dealer's website where they have a 21 F750gs with over 20,000 miles on it listed for more than a 21 First Edition R18 with "no miles" on it. Guess which one is listed over and which is under $10,000? It doesn't matter if one keeps their bikes "for ever" so the lost value is more hidden or if one likes to enjoy many of our amazing offerings to sample along the way (this is me) so it's lost value is immediately apparent, I have never seen such crazy negatives in general and certainly not when comparing such an incredibly good on all levels motorcycle and it's direct competition that for the most part seem to be more than holding their own in this same demographic and market. Not sure how it will all play out for the R18's future, but your experience only further confirms I will not look at a B nor TC regardless how tempting they are.

Good luck and enjoy 🍻

Thank you, this is a good research on the current situation with prices. Also, it demonstrates one lesson I learned some time ago: if you are not sure that you are completely satisfied with the bike and that you plan to use it for a long time (5+ years), the price of mods is a cost, not an investment. So I usually only make mods that can be removed to bring the bike back to original condition and to sell the parts on eBay.

Well, you’ve made a good point. I can strip it back to a bagger and sell it as a bagger. If that’s what it’s being quoted as then that’s what I’ll trade it in as. Then can sell some of the parts here for 50% of what I paid but at least recoup some of that money.

I think my plan for now (unless i come across a screaming deal) is to see what happens for 2024 model year. If the R18 lives on, then the 2023s will be discounted this time next year and I’l try again.

…maybe by then, they’ll have fixed the TFT issues I’ve had :p

that and I’ll have the bagger paid off by then so I can convert what little equity is left into one of the 719 models that are in that gorgeous white (2023 MY)

finally, this has happened before. If that dealer has that 2022 in purple for another month, they may come back with a better offer.

Well, you’ve made a good point. I can strip it back to a bagger and sell it as a bagger. If that’s what it’s being quoted as then that’s what I’ll trade it in as. Then can sell some of the parts here for 50% of what I paid but at least recoup some of that money.

I think my plan for now (unless i come across a screaming deal) is to see what happens for 2024 model year. If the R18 lives on, then the 2023s will be discounted this time next year and I’l try again.

…maybe by then, they’ll have fixed the TFT issues I’ve had :p

that and I’ll have the bagger paid off by then so I can convert what little equity is left into one of the 719 models that are in that gorgeous white (2023 MY)

finally, this has happened before. If that dealer has that 2022 in purple for another month, they may come back with a better offer.
Dibs on your top case if and when 😂😂😂

The white is nice, wish that were an option available when i went on my hunt for my bagger, as I loved my K in white.

I've got the manhattan metallic now. Love the color but I feel its going to be more of a pain to maintain than the white 🙁

Not fond of black bikes in general, but the R18 looks amazing in black retro style. I love mine, but colors and beauty are subjective of course.

Because of the First Edition, there are many black R18, and certainly on this forum. It's easy to get a bit of color boredom, but when I see my black bike in real life, I just melt.

Not fond of black bikes in general, but the R18 looks amazing in black retro style. I love mine, but colors and beauty are subjective of course.

Because of the First Edition, there are many black R18, and certainly on this forum. It's easy to get a bit of color boredom, but when I see my black bike in real life, I just melt.
I like mineD078B7B0-F737-4C73-8E66-AD67D4E07216.jpeg

Back