19 inch chrome front and 16 inch chrome rear wheels.... Metzler's...and the Wunderlich tool bag

So Father's Day brought me a big gift from the wife. I switched from original 16' front and rear spoked wheels on my 2021 classic fe to the 19 and 16 inch bmw chrome wheels. Omg. It's just amazing. They are gorgeous. They are $$$ but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

At this time, I also elected to change my Michelin Commander III tires for Metzler's at 8k and rid myself of a nasty wheel wobble which I have had for 2k miles and I squarely blame on the Michelin Commander's. Tire manufactured date was 1420... Now I am going to reach out to Michelin for reimbursement. Definitely a problem with the tires. Caused wobbles at various speeds. Still have them mounted on my old spoked wheels. We will see how that goes...

You will also see the Wunderlich tool bag which I HIGHLY recommend. The guys at Wunderlich ALWAYS knock it out of the park with quality!

Attachments

• IMG20230624212406.jpg
    IMG20230624212406.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG20230624212410.jpg
    IMG20230624212410.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG20230624212412.jpg
    IMG20230624212412.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
You would have shed a lot of un-sprung weight over tubed'n spoke wheels... you should feel that. Love the bag.... I mostly get wunderlich stuff now.... no brainer quality... just $$.

Anyway.... the pressure is on you for mothers day.......

Last edited:
Lmao. Yes... The pressure is on. Does anyone know if passenger floorboards interfere with the classic saddlebags? 😉
I replaced the passenger footpegs on my classic with Wunderlich lowered footpegs, like a small floorboard. There's no conflict with the saddlebags

pictures in this link: https://www.r18forums.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-r18-today.97/post-28292

it appears below that the base mounts for the oem B/TC passenger floorboards would not be compatible with the Pure/C connecting points.

1687786331533.png

Last edited:
Perfect! Great to know! Thank you so much!
I assume you are happy with the Wunderlich lowered pegs.
As a toe shifter, I do much prefer the rider Wunderlich lowered pegs to either footpegs or floorboards.
I have them on both a Pure and a Classic, both with the 719 seat.

I have not yet had a pillion review the passenger lowered pegs but I feel can comment on them.
Pro: The passenger lowered pegs are very elegant and I expect will be an optimum experience for the passenger.
Con: no problems, just a personal preference; the indent for the spring/ball to hold the pegs up should be a bit deeper, to more firmly hold them in the upright/stored position. I'll be doing this to mine when it's convenient.

hope this is helpful

So Father's Day brought me a big gift from the wife. I switched from original 16' front and rear spoked wheels on my 2021 classic fe to the 19 and 16 inch bmw chrome wheels. Omg. It's just amazing. They are gorgeous. They are $$$ but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.

At this time, I also elected to change my Michelin Commander III tires for Metzler's at 8k and rid myself of a nasty wheel wobble which I have had for 2k miles and I squarely blame on the Michelin Commander's. Tire manufactured date was 1420... Now I am going to reach out to Michelin for reimbursement. Definitely a problem with the tires. Caused wobbles at various speeds. Still have them mounted on my old spoked wheels. We will see how that goes...

You will also see the Wunderlich tool bag which I HIGHLY recommend. The guys at Wunderlich ALWAYS knock it out of the park with quality!
What do they cost?

Please post a picture of the whole bike with the new wheels. Thks!

Hi, When you fitted the tool bag did you use the bracket supplied by Wunderlich on your bike? I have a classic and I am thinking of purchasing this item but the site says it's for the R18, not the classic.

Tomorrow, I will post the full bike pics that were ask for to showcase the wheels.. is dark outside now.
What do they cost?
1300 and 1400 USD .. But, IMHO, worth every damn penny. Jury is still out on the R18s place in history, but there's been nothing like it and it's a head Turner. For that, I don't mind putting the options I want on it.
I have done the same for my 1999 r1200c. She is still showing pretty except a sticky piston on the front brembo caliper so ABS is currently non-functional. 😔 But she still rides like a million bucks. A bike which was much ridiculed and maligned, but still my second favorite ride next to the R18....

Anytime know someone who repairs brembo calipers?

Last edited:
Would have been interesting to weigh each complete wheel with tyre etc (so old wheels complete with disks and tyre etc as well as new).... for me.... it would be a 3 or 4 way consideration.... looks/style..... less unsprung weight..... tubeless tyres benefit.... tyre choices etc.... then all up how the bike performs in various scenarios... ie fast windies.... quick direction changes.... bike stability at low speed.... road surface compliance.... etc etc.

Maybe something a few years down the track.......

Last edited:
Back