2020/21 First Edition with few miles / known issues ?

Matmat

Hi,

There is a great offer from a couple dealerships of 2020/21 FE models with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

Is there anything in particular to look for in these early models, any bigger known issues fixed now, mandatory service campaigns etc. ?

Thank you for you help,
Mat

Do you know what specific FE model you are looking at? There was a recall for the shaft lube on the FE models as far as I am aware which was addressed at the next service interval or when owners took the bikes to the dealership to get the issue sorted.
Also the B and TC (all years so far) fitted with the adaptive headlight are at risk of developing a fault and so far the rumours has it that the permanent fix is due in June. There are extensive post in this dreadful subject so hopefully this one does not become another headlight discussion. Not having a go at you, just pointing out that there are tons of info on the subject in here. Other than that, I am not aware of any issues out of the ordinary.
One thing to bear in mind is that the more electronics thrown at a vehicle, the greater the chances of gremlins pi**ing about things.

Hi,

There is a great offer from a couple dealerships of 2020/21 FE models with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

Is there anything in particular to look for in these early models, any bigger known issues fixed now, mandatory service campaigns etc. ?

Thank you for you help,
Mat

Lots of people love these bikes for a few hundred miles and then grow to dislike them. They are not an all rounder type of bike, so for many who only want/have one bike it's not ideal. See if your dealership can loan you one for a weekend and take a long trip. I had a FE for a week and a 200 mile trip one way in winter in the rain and I knew that I didn't want that model! Not many issues with the bikes themselves, the engine is a decades old design and relatively easy to work on.

Last edited:
Thank you for your hints where to start, the forum has lots of info.

I’m looking for a R18 FE or R18 FE Classic, so far I had them as loaners.

With the two models you are interested in.... the major issues most come up against is the suspension (harsh) and seat comfort/position. Both these things can be sorted if needed, if one has the will/$.

In some markets (I'm Australian based) the early models did not come with cruise control.... a pretty big omission for some as it can't be retrofitted. Also.... the spoked rims need tubes... sorta obvious.... but not for some.

Last edited:
The R18FE has adjustable suspension....the adjustment is based on rider/s weight....and will be the easiest and simplest thing you will ever do to your bike!

Regarding the shaft ‘lube’ it wasn’t a recall, it was a service bulletin. There is a thread on here somewhere covering it in depth. Nothing to worry about. BMW will already have the VIN of the bike and if it requires lubing it will be dealt with by the time you buy it. No harm in asking to double check but seriously don’t be concerned. As Anibal says there is basically next to no tech on the FE so that could be a plus or minus depending upon what you want. My bike doesn’t have cruise because it’s an early one but that’s fine I would never use it anyway, Noelpolar on the other hand in Oz finds it very important and I can totally see why. Australia is massive. I agree it’s not an all rounder bike, it’s an ‘occasion’ bike, it feels special and that’s why I got it. The bike goes well, handles well (within cruiser limits) and I find the riding position very open and roomy (5’11” and 31” inside leg), suspension is firm, the bike rides flat. Rear preload adjustment makes a difference but if roads are bad, potholed, unavoidably very rough you do feel it but then again it’s no Africa Twin. Regarding weight I think you’ve just got to be confident, the FE is the lightest of the range and it’s got cat like balance. There’s many aftermarket seat options available now including some spectacular artisan work. Reverse is useful IF you have an awkward parking spot but most of the time you won’t ever need it. There’s a lot of chrome to clean and the header pipes like to burn on dead bugs. Finally I suppose extended motorway (freeway) riding would be a bit of a chore if you had to do a lot of it because there’s no wind protection and no way to avoid it but I find 60mph very do-able, much faster into the wind on a windy day is very hard going though. I’ve had mine approaching two years Mat and no regrets, it's lovely. Really is.

Last edited:
Regarding the shaft ‘lube’ it wasn’t a recall, it was a service bulletin. There is a thread on here somewhere covering it in depth. Nothing to worry about. BMW will already have the VIN of the bike and if it requires lubing it will be dealt with by the time you buy it. No harm in asking to double check but seriously don’t be concerned. As Anibal says there is basically next to no tech on the FE so that could be a plus or minus depending upon what you want. My bike doesn’t have cruise because it’s an early one but that’s fine I would never use it anyway, Noelpolar on the other hand in Oz finds it very important and I can totally see why. Australia is massive. I agree it’s not an all rounder bike, it’s an ‘occasion’ bike, it feels special and that’s why I got it. The bike goes well, handles well (within cruiser limits) and I find the riding position very open and roomy (5’11” and 31” inside leg), suspension is firm, the bike rides flat. Rear preload adjustment makes a difference but if roads are bad, potholed, unavoidably very rough you do feel it but then again it’s no Africa Twin so you will. Regarding weight I think you’ve just got to be confident, the FE is the lightest of the range and it’s got cat like balance. There’s many aftermarket seat options available now including some spectacular artisan work. Reverse is useful IF you have an awkward parking spot but most of the time you won’t ever need it. There’s a lot of chrome to clean and the header pipes like to burn on dead bugs. Finally I suppose extended motorway (freeway) riding would be a bit of a chore if you had to do a lot of it because there’s no wind protection and no way to avoid it but I find 60mph very do-able, much faster into the wind on a windy day is very hard going though. I’ve had mine approaching two years Mat and no regrets, it's lovely. Really is.
This is the best summation and the most accurate by far.....Matmat....of course the final decision is yours only. Best to you Mat! Personally, if I had to make the decision to buy my R18 again...I would in a heartbeat.

I found the weight/preload guide to be accurate Mat, again it’s on the forum somewhere but I also think it’s in the bike manual. Good luck with your decision 👍

Back