2022 BMW r18b Slow speed & Parking Lot maneuvers

I had recently posted a switch from an Indian Chief Vintage to a 2022 BMW R18B which I appreciate all the responses. One major concern is slow speed & parking lot maneuvers due the weight of the bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking a test ride in Dec.
Thanks

It's all doable... I find the handlebar reach is a bit of a stretch for me(5' 9" 180 lbs.); I've gotten to the point where I can do a left hand U-Turn within the width of two parking lot spaces (rear-brake/clutch friction point).

Slow speed manoeuvres are not as difficult as you may think. The bike is big and heavy but very well balanced. You will notice the manoeuvrability of the bike as soon as you set off. Clutch control and rear break drag is the principal in all bikes when going slow. Trust your instincts, you will be fine.

Slow speed manoeuvres are not as difficult as you may think. The bike is big and heavy but very well balanced. You will notice the manoeuvrability of the bike as soon as you set off. Clutch control and rear break drag is the principal in all bikes when going slow. Trust your instincts, you will be fine.
Many YouTube videos gives a negative view on slow moving maneuvers

And that will be the personal opinion of the operator. I don’t consider myself an ace motorcyclist but I have been riding for a number of years now and to be honest the B behaves at slow speeds a lot better than many other motorcycles I have ridden. I am not going to sugar coat it, it is what it is and certainly is not a BMX but it is not that difficult to ride in my opinion. I am not sure what riding experience these YouTube riders may have and what sort of style of bikes they may have ridden before so I cannot make any comments but the best thing is to give the bike a go and see for yourself.
You may hate it, you may love it😉

Many YouTube videos gives a negative view on slow moving maneuvers
And that will be the personal opinion of the operator. I don’t consider myself an ace motorcyclist but I have been riding for a number of years now and to be honest the B behaves at slow speeds a lot better than many other motorcycles I have ridden. I am not going to sugar coat it, it is what it is and certainly is not a BMX but it is not that difficult to ride in my opinion. I am not sure what riding experience these YouTube riders may have and what sort of style of bikes they may have ridden before so I cannot make any comments but the best thing is to give the bike a go and see for yourself.
You may hate it, you may love it😉
I have been a V-twin rider for over 20+ years. And am looking to make a change. Really like the BMW just want to have all the information appreciate your time & response

Agreed.. "trust your instincts", practice - practice - practice

I had recently posted a switch from an Indian Chief Vintage to a 2022 BMW R18B which I appreciate all the responses. One major concern is slow speed & parking lot maneuvers due the weight of the bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking a test ride in Dec.
Thanks
I have a bagger. The weight is low. Its no problem. I'm 5 7, about 180 lbs

It's all doable... I find the handlebar reach is a bit of a stretch for me(5' 9" 180 lbs.); I've gotten to the point where I can do a left hand U-Turn within the width of two parking lot spaces (rear-brake/clutch friction point).
Me to it takes a wee while to get the confidence as Scott says it's all clutch and back brake do not touch the front brake if the bars are not straight

In my experience, the R18B needs to be manhandled and heavily counterbalanced to make slow tight turns (within two parking spaces or 18')
The hard to reach rear brake pedal does not help. I'll drag the front brake a little which helps but requires a very delicate touch.
My RT1250 feels like a mountain bike after getting off the R18B.

Last edited:
The R18 has a long wheelbase and that contributes more to it being a bit unwieldy than the weight. Also the bars may be a bit wide for some but as with all bikes that can be addressed. The weight sits low so the bike is balanced well.
My main bike is a Roadmaster and I really feel the weight more on the RM.

The R18 has a long wheelbase and that contributes more to it being a bit unwieldy than the weight. Also the bars may be a bit wide for some but as with all bikes that can be addressed. The weight sits low so the bike is balanced well.
My main bike is a Roadmaster and I really feel the weight more on the RM.
I actually was looking at the Roadmaster also. Since I have the Vintage was thinking to move up to the Roadmaster or Chieftain. I just think this bike has a lot to offer. Thanks

I just got mine a couple months ago. My first few rides had my armpits sweating a bit, as the weight was intimidating. What I found is that once I launch, it’s like, “ohh, it just goes where you want it to!” Feels much better after almost 500 miles than it did when I got it. And I’m coming from a triumph thunderbird which is itself a heavyweight. I expect to get more adept on the B as I get more time with it.

The other quirks I saw reviewers complain about aren’t anything that bother me (yet). I come from stripped down bikes (Bonneville, sportster), so a little shake, vibration, whatever they’re saying, are non-issues. Thing is plenty powerful and just beautiful. No regrets.

I run a 22 PurpleTranny, and it requires some skill to crawl on such a mammoth beast. Not a great bike for a total noob, but true men of motorcycling typically adapt/learn quickly. I like my PurpleTranny (almost 9000 miles), but my riding style is still more solo big mile "sport tour" rather than rolling hot with Apolonia on the pill!

I always remind myself and hammer my kids on this when they ride: Look where you want to go, especially when doing u turns. Keep your weight on the pegs or seat. You wouldn't open a car door while you're moving and put your foot down and expect good results, don't do it on a bike either. You can dab, but that's not the same thing as putting your foot down.

The R18 is not a 250 dirt bike, but it's so low to the ground that I find it totally manageable and easier than some of the bikes I've had in the past.. Turn your head hard when doing u turns. Look so far into the turn that it almost hurts your neck, if you know what I mean. You can't lift a 900 pound bike (or a 500 pound bike), so you have to use physics to your advantage. Even a 300 pound bike will make you its b**ch if you don't ride it correctly, LOL. I had a Yamaha TT 500 when I was 15, loved the bike, but I learned a lot on that pig.

Back