50 + M.P.G.

BobW

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Figured I'd update my M.P.G. observations as I'm working towards my 18K service (after a fill up I always do the math and then compare to the bike's display). My bike uses no oil, starts and runs well and was broken in with regularly stretching her legs across the RPM range while riding up and down the Smoky and Appalachian Mountains and their foothill's 2 lanes.

My R18 Classic started with low to mid 30's mileage with a low fuel warning in the 115-125 miles ridden range. After a few thousand miles I was seeing steady improvements to where I was consistently in the 40's with an occasional 46-48 M.P.G. average where the low fuel warning came on in the mid 160's and I could routinely travel 180 miles+ to get to a gas station. To be conservative I used 40 M.P.G. as a base range and kept in mind on every fill up was confirming the warning light came on with at least 1-1.5 gallons of petrol remaining.

On a cross country ride from NC to WA last Summer-Autumn, I experienced a wide range of mileage (low 30s to mid 40s) that had me speculating that whatever blended gasoline the individual states mandate barely passes for petrol. Subjective to a point, but averaging 500+ miles a day I was filling up several times a day and the weather, mix of roads and riding habits were consistent with 75-25% freeway and two lane with an occasional blast to clear the carbon, but mostly within 5-10 of the posted speed limits.

I left my bike after that ride with my daughter's family and rode a bit of the beautiful Pacific North West before riding back home to NC recently. Only changes were this time I enjoyed 75-25% two lane to freeway and the biggest difference in petrol was pricing where some states are gouging the hell out of people to pay for all the free lunches they promise, up to $2.00 a gallon!! and more non ethanol v. "blended" gasoline = 50+ M.P.G., consistent!

In general, my R18 broke in more like "old" BMWs where one usually saw steady improvements over at least a couple service intervals and then settled in nicely. The Classic is as aerodynamic as a sheet of plywood and while running hard on mountain roads doesn't seem to impact range much I found sustained higher speeds over 80ish will, so if running low a slower speed helps a lot more than I expected. Anyway, very happy with the R18 and mine has just gotten better and better as the miles go up.

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2195.jpeg
    IMG_2195.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
When an engine is new, all gears, pistons etc are super tight which will contribute to a bit of more effort to achieve the speed required at a cost of extra fuel. As things starts to mate and friction is a bit less then it will be easier for the moving parts to do their bit and therefore the speed required is achieved easier contributing to a saving in fuel, so it is not a surprise to see the bike getting better with mileage. Higher quality of fuel definitely helps as poor quality or low octane should see more unburnt fuel being wasted and thus a drop in efficiency. I always fill up with Shell V-Pro which in my humble opinion is the best available quality fuel around in the UK and always avoid cheaper supermarket fuels. Cheaper fuel also adds to carbon buildup which will robb you in performance. Mine is only 850mls but I can see I am seating on the 35/40 mls per gallon and hopping to see an improvement in the months to come. I too ride a mixture of roads commuting to work which is around 50mls round and see country lanes, dual carriageway and motorways averaging around 60mls/h speed wise.
Prices in the UK are a lot more expensive as the Shell unleaded E10 is around £1.42 per litre whilst the V-Pro E5 is £1.64 or £1.68 per litre depending where you fill up.

😁😁😁
I am yet to try the Rock mode on my Bagger, mainly because I am being a bit conservative whilst the engine is till breaking in. Having said that, two things happened to me yesterday.
1- A car moved onto my lane without indicating and I had to move sharply to my right. The only problem was that a car was coming behind me on the lane I moved to at about 70mls/h so in a split second I manoeuvred to the right, saw the car on my mirrors and had to open her up quite a bit to avoid being rammed by the oncoming car. She jumped from 60mls/h to 80mls/h in a blink of an eye and did not hesitate or anything so that pleased me quite a bit before giving a hand signal to the twat that cut me off and apologies to the one I cut off.
2- On my way home the traffic on the motorway was flowing steadily but all of a sudden it halted to a stop and even though I was keeping a nice distance from the car on front, that gap quickly reduced to nothing so I applied both brakes with a decent amount of pressure which to be honest stopped the bike very quickly without any wobble or anything which then again pleased me a lot as the situation developed quite quickly and she managed to do what I wanted her to do. Not that I will take comfort on that and push her limits going forward but it is nice to know her capabilities.

😁😁😁
I am yet to try the Rock mode on my Bagger, mainly because I am being a bit conservative whilst the engine is till breaking in. Having said that, two things happened to me yesterday.
1- A car moved onto my lane without indicating and I had to move sharply to my right. The only problem was that a car was coming behind me on the lane I moved to at about 70mls/h so in a split second I manoeuvred to the right, saw the car on my mirrors and had to open her up quite a bit to avoid being rammed by the oncoming car. She jumped from 60mls/h to 80mls/h in a blink of an eye and did not hesitate or anything so that pleased me quite a bit before giving a hand signal to the twat that cut me off and apologies to the one I cut off.
2- On my way home the traffic on the motorway was flowing steadily but all of a sudden it halted to a stop and even though I was keeping a nice distance from the car on front, that gap quickly reduced to nothing so I applied both brakes with a decent amount of pressure which to be honest stopped the bike very quickly without any wobble or anything which then again pleased me a lot as the situation developed quite quickly and she managed to do what I wanted her to do. Not that I will take comfort on that and push her limits going forward but it is nice to know her capabilities.
Rock mode is mega! Give a little go

My mpg has been in the upper 40s until my last tank: I too reached 50 mpg. I ride in Rock mode but I don't ride fast. I took off the windshield on my R18 Classic so riding above 65 mph can be demanding. It's a cruiser anyway so while I do use the torque and power to pass some vehicles, I cruise. I find riding the R18 to be very rewarding. It's a special bike.

R18C

A jug/cylinder wall casting defect necessitated a right cylinder replacement at 300mi. I remember I noticed that I was getting roughly 40mpg after my first real full tank and fill up. Really mixed up my break in process. I haven't been very gentle after the 600mi mark. The gas station (Sheetz) near my home, has a 90octane/0% ethanol pump. I have been consistently filling with that and the bike seems.to be just running better and smoother every day. I either drive 25 miles down the PA turnpike or 20 miles of double yellow two lane road to work every day I can. I'm at 1100 miles on the clock. I don't drive it like I stole it...at least not all the time. Still get 40mpg.

KEVINQ I see you’re close to the Ohio border. I’m not far from the Jersey border close to six hours difference and I’m not on Facebook. Anytime you’re down in this area. Look me up. John irons

I track every refueling of each of my bikes & car with Fuelly. My R18 Classic has ~5000 miles on it & has an overall average of ~44MPG. My best tank was 48MPG when I did hit some highway for an extended bit, but most of my trips are on backroads & I like the torque of accelerating out of a corner. My worst was when it was breaking in with 39MPG.

99% of my rides are in rock mode. I only switch it to roll on highway if I remember, but my hunch is the more sedate throttle response could help with mileage.

Thank you for sharing. That is roughly where I am at the moment at 35/40mpg on roll mode. I rode Rock today and yes, I felt the va va voom but soon got used to it so went back to roll.

Thank you for sharing. That is roughly where I am at the moment at 35/40mpg on roll mode. I rode Rock today and yes, I felt the va va voom but soon got used to it so went back to roll.
Sorry, I should have mentioned, my MPG rating is based on US gallons as I’m based in the northeast United States. I know UK gallons are different so a UK MPG won’t be directly comparable to a US MPG. If your 35-40MPG is UK gallons, that would be pretty bad as 44USMPG is ~52 UKMPG & 35 UKMPG is ~29USMPG

Sorry, I should have mentioned, my MPG rating is based on US gallons as I’m based in the northeast United States. I know UK gallons are different so a UK MPG won’t be directly comparable to a US MPG. If your 35-40MPG is UK gallons, that would be pretty bad as 44USMPG is ~52 UKMPG & 35 UKMPG is ~29USMPG
Yup. I am not too concerned at this point as she is breaking in an I would have expected the consumption to be a bit higher. Will see in the next coming months. Thank you for highlighting the issue.

Looking at a TC with 3800 miles on it, 2022, needs the service in 2200.... and lifetime MPG is only 37.... so I am wondering if possibly the brakes are sticking or something, that it's so poor? Or does the owner romp on it pretty good?

Last edited:
Looking at a TC with 5800 miles on it, 2022, needs the service shortly.... and lifetime MPG is only 37.... so I am wondering if possibly the brakes are sticking or something, that it's so poor? Or does the owner romp on it pretty good?
I can’t comment on a TC as I don’t have one but they are a tad heavier than the B.
That figure seems to be a bit low, I would have expected more, having said that, chances are it is always on Rock mode where I would expect the consumption to be higher than in Roll mode. Tyre pressure is another factor as well as riding style, i.e, how long would you drag one gear before changing to a higher one. Being a 22 model means it is under warranty still which I believe it is transferable.
Can you do a test drive and check how much MPG you make to compare and check the possible culprits mentioned above?

Back