5th gear issue

Just noticed this today on my 2022 TC. When randomly in 5th gear the gear indicator goes blank and the bike acts like it is in neutral. If I shift up or down the display comes back and the bike runs fine. Anyone else had this issue and is there an easy fix. The bike only has 5000 miles. Last weekend I had the saddlebags and wires disconnected under the seat for cleaning purposes.

It happens to me from time to time when shifting from 1st gear to neutral or vice versa. Although I hear the mechanical transition sound, there may be no clutch and it recovers within 1-2 seconds. I don't know the cause but I heard that it can happen in R18s.

When randomly in 5th gear the gear indicator goes blank and the bike acts like it is in neutral. If I shift up or down the display comes back and the bike runs fine.
I can’t say this has ever happened to me but when this happened to you, do you mean there is no traction, i.e, you were in fifth gear and suddenly the bike feels as if it has switched to neutral and you are rolling freely? Because if you are, then it is not just the display, it means that mechanically your gear box jumped out of gears or changed gears without commands and I think this warrants an inspection.

This was a common occurrence with my DUCATI; I didn't ask for it, but apparently Luigi installed like five extra Neutral gears in my bike's transmission...

I too would like to know the answer to Anabal's question; were you under power of the fifth or some other gear, or just rolling in Neutral..?

Under power in 5th, the gear display goes blank and no power. Sometimes I can pull in the clutch and everything is good and sometimes I have to shift to 4th or 6th.

Under power in 5th, the gear display goes blank and no power. Sometimes I can pull in the clutch and everything is good and sometimes I have to shift to 4th or 6th.
Maybe BMW hired Luigi recently .... To be honest.. I know zero about the transmission, or really any transmissions ... I've found in some cases I have to nudge the bike a bit in one direction and let the clutch out and re-engage it again in order to find 1st gear..

I would have the shop check this as given the nature of how gear sets engage it is not a "random" occurrence for them to suddenly disengage.

It is easy to shift gears without using the clutch with timing the preloading of the shift lever and throttle use that unloads the gearset enough to allow the next gear set to be engaged. And this is done automatically with the electronic quick shifter options many OEMs use on various models by signaling the ecu to make these programmed adjustments for the rider.

Last thought, Is it possible this happened when you may have been resting your boot against the shifter with enough pressure that a coincidental throttle change allowed the false neutral to occur?

Transmissions have been replaced under warranty. Not specifically for the issue mentioned ( that I am aware of) but its good to know that for the most part it sounds as if BMW is honoring warranty claims.

Back