6,000 Mile Transcontinental with 6K service and accessories

adamchandler

UPDATE: SOLD 2/16/2024

Before I continue installing farkles. I'm thinking of a B to TC conversion properly such as selling my B and buying a TC. Just not really sure what my B is worth.

Paid $20,500
6000 miles
6000 mile service completed
Detailed and ceramic coated

Farkles:
  1. 20" 7 Jurock screen (+ OEM screen)
  2. Top case from a TransContinental
  3. BMW's side & top luggage bags
  4. Bagger & TC (high) seats
  5. BMW USB cable for cubby
  6. Grip Puppies
  7. TFT Screen protector
  8. Wunderlich tank pads
  9. Clearwater Dixie’s + Covers
  10. QuadLock + Wireless Charger
  11. iPhone 11 (included) which connects to the bike no problem
  12. Alaska Sheep Leather topper
  13. All OEM take-off parts
  14. BMW OEM Winglets
Owes $17K to BMW FS at .9% interest. You can take over my payments that are $350 a month with 48 payments remaining. I’m asking for $2000 in cash on top of that to cover accessories I added.

Last edited:
Oh Gosh... You just basically finished converting your Model B to a TC model; I hope I'm not reading next year's thread of you converting your new TC back to a Model B... :)

Just thinking out loud and seeing if there's interest. I also may be moving to a new place and don't want to put 5 bikes in storage for 6 months while waiting for remodeling to finish. There are a few factors at play. I LOVE the bike but I love the new blue color and I don't have a TC really. it's a TC in a few ways so I'd really like a real one.

I forgot, what color was your bike?

It's a black First edition.

I sell a few bikes a year so I'd be willing to haul it to most places in the Northeast..probably as far south as CT. It has the First Edition box and roundels. The top box and seat were installed by MaxBMW according to service manual. break in service was done by me but I have the service manual so everything was torqued to spec.

Here it is in its current form:

52286505099_dcd74b482f_b.jpg
52241531836_0e30739147_b.jpg
52242018110_f8b2cbace4_b.jpg
52241820429_0a8971197e_b.jpg

What else is left for a complete TC conversion though?
Engine guards, lower fairings and adjustable wind deflectors? How much will those be?

My TC has the galaxy dust metallic paint but I think your first edition black with white pinstripes is the best color, not to mention those wheels. If I was in the market, I would consider a white 23 but I would definitely have to see it first.
Is that the color you were thinking or something else?

I sold 3 bikes on CycleTrader.com during the summer of 2020. Sold each bike in less than 2 weeks. I paid CycleTrader $29 for each ad that allowed about 5 pics I think. CycleTrader impressed me.

Just thinking out loud and seeing if there's interest. I also may be moving to a new place and don't want to put 5 bikes in storage for 6 months while waiting for remodeling to finish. There are a few factors at play. I LOVE the bike but I love the new blue color and I don't have a TC really. it's a TC in a few ways so I'd really like a real one.
You won't be sorry getting a TC. It has quite a few extras. I found the lower wind deflectors to be quite effective. And you can move your knees out just a few inches to get the wind gust if you want it. The winglets are remarkably effective too.

At night, the outside two running lights just flood the road ditches with light on both sides with the flip of a switch.
For me the TC wind screen is just right. With the winglets in the closed position, I get no turbulence, no buffeting, no wind at all really (I dont understand how BMW did that).

I like the chrome fork covers on the TC. A bike has to have chrome fork covers.

I confess I like the dark case paint on the B engine better than the lighter color of the TC.

What else is left for a complete TC conversion though?
Engine guards, lower fairings and adjustable wind deflectors? How much will those be?

My TC has the galaxy dust metallic paint but I think your first edition black with white pinstripes is the best color, not to mention those wheels. If I was in the market, I would consider a white 23 but I would definitely have to see it first.
Is that the color you were thinking or something else?

I added a top case The TC gets you these extras:
  1. Larger windscreen
  2. Leg wind deflectors
  3. Fairing mounted wind winglets
  4. Larger pillion footpegs
  5. larger seat
  6. pillion seat heating
  7. Engine guards
  8. Auxiliary lights
  9. Top case
  10. 2 extra speakers
  11. larger brake light
  12. grey/silver forks & fairing (rider facing) instead of black
  13. More chrome on front fender

All I have is a top case but none of the extras like speakers or brake light that comes with that. just more storage.

---

As for colors, the 2023s are a lot more appealing to me. I don't have a lot of love for the pin stripes. Remember I was born in the late 80s so I never even saw an airhead until 2016 when I started going to BMW rallies so I don't have this nostalgia about the first edition color scheme like a lot of guys here. Just how it is. I think the blue & white for 2023 are gorgeous and worth the $3K price of upgrading to a real TC:

2023-BMW-R18-Transcontinental2.jpg
2023-BMW-R18-Transcontinental1.jpg

If you like the ACC, you can’t currently order a new R18B or TC with it. I also really like the white colour but this fact and the saving I got buying one that’s 9 months old vs new made it a no brainer.

I do think BMW should offer people the option of buying a TC with a black finish, I think they’d sell a lot more.

Whatever the outcome/ your decision is, I for one really appreciate your YouTube videos 👍🏻

I see, I didn't realize how many more items were required to Transcontinental-ize the bike...

We must be around the same age... I never even cares about or looked at motorcycles until about ten years ago. So most classic bikes just look... old to me. But these retro styled BMWs are gorgeous. Idk why I like those pinstripes so much... If i had to guess, I would say they break up the paint and help to show the shape of the pieces.

If you don't like the pinstripes (or do you just not care for the black with pinstripes), are you leaning towards the blue one? I personally really loke that white one!!

If you decide to go that route, I hope you can get a good deal on the upcoming model year bike!!

Did not take a photo today though they had a K1600 (did not notice trim) in a blue in the shop room that looks like maybe it is that 2023 R18TC blue color. If it is the same blue then YES, I would love to have that color if I wanted a TC.
Again, did not take a photo today but say the black with pinstripe bagger next to a black bagger and to me that pinstripe really sets off the bagger. To me, without it the bike is just a sea of black. Though what do I know…I am old school and don‘t like/trust Satin paint finishes yet. Likewise, the base black color really needs to pinstripe, especially since it extends back and is put on the rear fender as well.

It's a black First edition.

I sell a few bikes a year so I'd be willing to haul it to most places in the Northeast..probably as far south as CT. It has the First Edition box and roundels. The top box and seat were installed by MaxBMW according to service manual. break in service was done by me but I have the service manual so everything was torqued to spec.

Here it is in its current form:

52286505099_dcd74b482f_b.jpg
52241531836_0e30739147_b.jpg
52242018110_f8b2cbace4_b.jpg
52241820429_0a8971197e_b.jpg
This would be a great bike for someone wanting a bagger with the bmw trunk.

Bumping this thread. About to do the 6,000 mile service and looking for someone who wants to take over BMW FS payments of $350 a month with .9% interest (these are transferable) with $2000 in cash on top of the $17K~ still owed.

New baby on the way and looking to downsize the fleet to save on registration, insurance, etc on a bike that I really don’t plan on riding much over the next couple of years.

Back