6,000 miles service cost is ridiculous!

Iridium plugs in such a low stress 9.5 : 1 compression ratio motor that runs mostly in cruise mode at 2500 to 3000 rpm should last well over 50k miles probably closer to 80 to 100k miles, if properly regapped every 15 to 20k miles. 4 valves per cylinder really lowers the erosion rate from swirl effect on these spark plugs. Just measure the gap and reset, as needed, Iridium is very, very hard.

Am I mistaken, or does this engine have 2 spark plugs per cylinder, and therefore you should have 4 spare spark plugs now, not 2 ?

Has anyone posted the appropriate gap distance for the R18 Spark Plugs?

I didn't even think of checking the gap distance when I had the spark plugs out during the Valve Adjustment job...

Last edited:
There's only 2 Spark Plugs, 1 per cylinder w/in the R18 engine.

Has anyone posted the appropriate gap distance for the R18 Spark Plugs?

I didn't even think of checking the gap distance when I had the spark plugs out during the Valve Adjustment job...
Actually Scott there are 4 .. 2 per cylinder .. the second one is underneath the cylinder .. there is a plastic cover that comes off with 1 screw .. on one side it is the 'jump start' stud on the other side just a regular bolt ... they had me fooled for the longest time as well ;)

Actually Scott there are 4 .. 2 per cylinder .. the second one is underneath the cylinder .. there is a plastic cover that comes off with 1 screw .. on one side it is the 'jump start' stud on the other side just a regular bolt ... they had me fooled for the longest time as well ;)
I'm totally blown away by this fact; I'm not sure how I missed the spark plug count... I corrected my post; still though, has anyone posted the gap specifications or does the Spark Plug come setup out of the box?

I'm totally blown away by this fact; I'm not sure how I missed the spark plug count... I corrected my post; still though, has anyone posted the gap specifications or does the Spark Plug come setup out of the box?
No sorry and I didn't measure them before I put the new ones in ...

As as FYI, here are my BMW dealer service costs for the past two years:

600 miles: May 2022, Oil and filter, rear drive oil, and check brakes, spoke tension, check fault codes, and test ride: $113 in parts, $95 labor and $17 tax: Total $230
One year (3936 miles): April 2023, Oil and filter, transmission fluid, front and rear brake flush, spoke tension, drained condensate hose, sprayed drive shaft with Kluber (service bulletin) and test ride: $176 in parts, $380 labor, -$10 for coupon, and $45 for tax: Total $610
6000 miles: Nov 2023, Oil and filter, air filter, set valve clearances, lube splines, check for codes and test ride. $129 in parts, $380 in labor, and $42 in tax. Total $570

Was quoted $800 for the 6,000 mile service ! That’s if they don’t have to adjust the valves or replace anything else.. mind you that I put 6,000 miles on in 3-4 months.. I’m extremely disappointed that bmw doesn’t have a service manual for the R18 Available.. I don’t think they have any newer 2021 on up service manuals for any of there bikes .. I think it’s time to sell or trade for a different brand..
I have just been charged £285 from main BMW dealer for 6k/ annual service

I self maintained (for the most part) my 2008 GS Adventure, where I sold it with 96,000+ miles on it & in 100% working order; I've taken on that same responsibility with the new R18 B.

I throw the dealership some work that I don't like doing (bleeding brake fluid), and have them reset the maintenance reminder; verify everything is tight and perform any recall and or warranty updates and such..

The maintenance is part of the motorcycle hobby for me..

I self maintained (for the most part) my 2008 GS Adventure, where I sold it with 96,000+ miles on it & in 100% working order; I've taken on that same responsibility with the new R18 B.

I throw the dealership some work that I don't like doing (bleeding brake fluid), and have them reset the maintenance reminder; verify everything is tight and perform any recall and or warranty updates and such..

The maintenance is part of the motorcycle hobby for me..
Outside of first service, I’ll be in this same boat. The valve check on this bike seems so much easier than my Bonneville, where you need to swap out shims if you’re over/under clearance tolerances. I’ll deal with fluids, basic checks, whatever - little bit of learning and some money saved to boot. I’ll even bleed brakes. Got a vac bleeder that makes the job almost painless. Also got a Bluetooth odb to be able to reset the maintenance alert. Hoping for many miles of smooth sailing!

Back