600 Mile Running In Check for BMW R18 B (Bagger) including volumes and torque specs

adamchandler

A few things, I acquired this data from an anonymous friend. I can't prove its validity or accuracy, nor can I guarantee or warrantee any validity for any other motorcycles than the BMW R18B that I purchased in USA. Countries/Regions/Models/Years will have differences so please, you use this guide at your own risk. I cannot stress this enough. Always consult a BMW Motorrad Dealer and if you can, buy parts & service from them so they can stay in business. I purchase all of my BMW parts from my dealer and have my bikes looked over once a year despite doing my own maintenance.

=============

Service: Rear Bevel Gears AKA Final Drive:

Use Adapter 465821 onto scissor-style lifter with milled recesses in direction of travel
Make sure vehicle is secured so it cannot topple sideways
Block front brake with rubber band and secure with tensioning straps

For Equipment with Seat Heating OE, remove seat and disconnect heated seat connector
Remove the cable strap, release and disengage the connector
Remove screws from inside rear fender and take off side cases from the top
Make sure your alarm is disarmed

Cover rear wheel and tire to prevent contamination with oil
remove oil filler plug
remove oil drain plug
drain oil

Oil Drain Plug in Bevel Gears M12 20NM, replace O-Ring if necessary after checking for damage

Use Syringe (34 2 551) to inject 210ML of gear oil slowly into housing

Use Hypoid Axle Oil G3 - 83-22-2-413-512

Install Oil filler plug with NEW sealing ring, M12 25NM

reinstall side cases (19NM torque) and seat (8NM torque)

--------

Service: Engine oil change with filter:
lift bike as previously detailed above

Remove right ignition coil cover, remove screws (2) and then cover

place collecting vessel under engine
remove oil drain plug
remove sealing ring

remove oil filter
clean sealing surface
lubricate new oil filter at ring
install oil filter
Tighten to 11NM

Clean sealing surface of rain plug
install new sealing ring (crush washer)
Torque M16 to 28NM

Remove oil filter plug using key from toolkit
Pour engine oil until it reaches max mark on sight glass
Capacity = 4.0L

Note, oil level is temperature dependent. higher the temp, the higher the oil level. check oil level only after a lengthy ride or when engine is at operating temperature
Oil part number 83 12 2 405 891 (15W-50 Advantec Pro JASO MA2)

Install right ignition coil cover, tighten screws to 10NM

A hint…. Don’t use the syringe. A hair die applicator from sally beauty is the way to fill a bmw final drive… no, I’m not kidding :)

Amazon sells the Motul 15w-50 with a filter and a crush gasket as a package. One last piece of advice, make sure to get the correct oil filter wrench. Bob’s BMW sells them cheap. The correct standard bmw oil filter wrench and the hair dye dispenser are priceless tools

And, if you choose to have the dealer perform the initial 600 mile service, there can be quite a variance in price. We have two dealers within 30 miles of each other and the quotes from both were over a $100 difference, caveat emptor!

Thanks everyone for the tips.

1. I'm just trying to help people with part numbers
2. Dealer gave me everything I needed for the 600 mile service for free when I bought the bike so I had all of their stuff anyway as in I used BMW oil because they gave it to me for free.
3. I already use the 'beauty bottle' part but again...BMW recommends that syringe in their service manual so I was linking to that part.
4. ....tooting my own horn here but Motul is one of my sponsors so I get 50% off their fluids and actually already had the 15W-50 in the right spec in my garage for another bike so I have like 6 more oil changes on the R18 already on-hand! My sponsorship pricing only works if I buy their oil in packs of six 4L bottles so I have a LOT of oil changes stocked up. I think we have like 30 jugs of oil in the basement for VW, R1200, F750, R18 and K75 oh and KTM690.

Thanks and I hope this is helpful to someone else in the future who is googling things.

Do you have any idea if the TC takes the same amount of fluid? I can't image that it is different, but figured you might know since you have the data on the R18B.

Thanks,

I have no reason to believe that the TC will be different. A quick call to the dealer with your VIN NUMBER would be enough for them to pull up the volumes and confirm. That's the only way to know for sure. please report back so we can benefit from the call.

I'm adding for my own reference, valve check specs. I have these from the service manual.

Check: Measure valve clearance between valve (1) and cap (2) (arrow) .
  • Inlet Valve Clearance with cold engine max 35 C - .2-.3 MM
  • Exhaust Valve Clearance with cold engine max 35 C - .2-.3 MM
Result: Valve clearance is outside specified range.

Measure:
  1. Slightly slacken the lock nut (3) and adjust valve clearance at adjusting screw (4) .
  2. Tighten the lock nut (3) .
Tightening torques
  • Locknut to valve adjusting screw
  • M6 × 0,5 / 8 Nm

• Measure the valve clearance again (arrow).
  • Check valve clearance on all valves in the same way and adjust.it necessary.
  • Check valve clearance on the other side in the same way onall

d2bHgUB.png

Back