600 Mile Service and a grinding noise from the front end.

RyBread

Site Supporter
Elite Member
So I finally hit the 600 mile mark. Took it in to the Montgomeryville Cycle in Montgomeryville, PA, yesterday.

On the way there, I started noticing some grinding from the front end.
I was able to replicate it by downshifting and turning and also a change of pavement, made it more noticeable.
So, I mention this to the service advisor and they said its because we have metallic brake pads and it was normal.

I get a call today, they said the bike had a abs error. Weird because, 1) there was no light on the dash. 2) I only had 637 miles on it.

They said they went ahead and disassembled the calipers and found that the abs sensor and calipers were all mucked up with brake dust. They cleaned it up and cleared the error. and the error did not return.
This is a maintenance issue, wish I knew because I am fully capable of removing my calipers and hitting it with brake clean and compressed air and now I have to pay for it.

Sorry for the long post but figured I'd give you guys the heads up.

**Cliff notes**

If you hear grinding from the front end. Clean your brakes.

That could be tire noise ... It freaked me out on mine as well ... just strange that you just now hear it. Mine disappears when I take the windshield off ... also there is another thread that deals with that issue (https://www.r18forums.com/threads/front-wheel-noise.1060/), a fellow rider from France found some fender isolators that should help .. I didn't have a chance to test that theory myself ... but have a look at that thread.

Thanks for the tip. I have noted that these modern brakes do generate a lot of dust. I bought a small oil free air compressor a few years back (highly recommend getting one BTW) and give the calipers a blast of air every few rides to blow the muck out. Seems like it’s well worth doing after all.

That could be tire noise ... It freaked me out on mine as well ... just strange that you just now hear it. Mine disappears when I take the windshield off ... also there is another thread that deals with that issue (https://www.r18forums.com/threads/front-wheel-noise.1060/), a fellow rider from France found some fender isolators that should help .. I didn't have a chance to test that theory myself ... but have a look at that thread.
I thought tire noise also, we will see once it's ready

So I complained about this noise after my TEST DRIVE.... Dealer checked out everything and said they didn't hear it.

I have heard it since day 1. 20-40mph (depending on road conditions..) its a drone noise, plastic or metal.

I suspect its the fender being made of thin metal and not isolated properly. Currently, my front fender is off, and I have sprayed the inside with bedliner to dampen the resonance.

one more coat, and i'll edit the video and post it here.

Keep in mid, other owners worldwide have mentioned this SAME noise on the FB pages, so you aren't crazy... Don't let the dealer tell you it's "NORMAL" or they can't hear it.

They just don't know what it is, and since it's not safety related, they won't make it a priority.

OK.. Update... Fender liner did NOT work... Same noise... I'll move on to the Front fairing and the plastics... updates as they happen
Thanks for the update, please continue to update. I'm really thinking its the Bridgestone Tire... I might do a tire change soon.

Update:

I got it back and put another 400 miles on... still the same noise but now the front brakes are squeaking 🤦🏻 it's raining today and I'm heading to a bike blessing tomorrow... I'm going to blow the front calipers out before I head out...

Are they any ceramic pad options?

Thanks for the update, please continue to update. I'm really thinking its the Bridgestone Tire... I might do a tire change soon.

Update:

I got it back and put another 400 miles on... still the same noise but now the front brakes are squeaking 🤦🏻 it's raining today and I'm heading to a bike blessing tomorrow... I'm going to blow the front calipers out before I head out...

Are they any ceramic pad options?
I have the Michelins, so it’s not the tires.

And funny, my brakes squeaked at the 500-600 mile mark.

I’m thinking it’s the fairing… I’m planning installing the screen protector, so I’ll have to check the panels

I have the Michelins, so it’s not the tires.

And funny, my brakes squeaked at the 500-600 mile mark.

I’m thinking it’s the fairing… I’m planning installing the screen protector, so I’ll have to check the panels
Thank you for saving me money on tires!

I will also investigate some more

I posted threat about the the front wheel noice in June of 22, I tried everting to get rid of the noise including replacing the front tire no luck. I spoke to the Michelin rep and he check with their engineers it’s their opinion it is the weight and torque of the bike causing the tire noise.

I remember a similar post, concerning a noise experienced on the B and TC models; someone recommended, installing a nylon bushing or rubber insulated washers where the front fender attaches to the front forks/shocks.

I installed the above mentioned; in addition, I noticed that the upper shock sleeve which is secured to the cap that also secures the directionals (blinkers) on the B model was loose. I tightened the two bolts that secure the sleeves on each fork; the sleeves are metal and sort of ring like a bell of you tap on them, tightening them reduces the "ringing" or resonance sound that could be, what most are hearing?

I did both solutions at the same time and haven't heard "the noise" since; not sure which fixed the issue - or perhaps a little of both?

I remember a similar post, concerning a noise experienced on the B and TC models; someone recommended, installing a nylon bushing or rubber insulated washers where the front fender attaches to the front forks/shocks.

I installed the above mentioned; in addition, I noticed that the upper shock sleeve which is secured to the cap that also secures the directionals (blinkers) on the B model was loose. I tightened the two bolts that secure the sleeves on each fork; the sleeves are metal and sort of ring like a bell of you tap on them, tightening them reduces the "ringing" or resonance sound that could be, what most are hearing?

I did both solutions at the same time and haven't heard "the noise" since; not sure which fixed the issue - or perhaps a little of both?
thank you thats the next project. With the 7Jurock screen the noise is louder, I think its because the noise is now being more directed towards me.

I will definitely be trying this... I don't think the washers did it... I removed the fender, and bedliner-ed the inside of the fender which significantly reduced the tinny sound the fender makes when you knock on it... but the noise didn't change at all... You may have found the culprit.

Update, I swapped the front fender to a classic fender. Road noise is gone, but the brakes still squeak.
I've just been ignoring the squeak.

110% road noise is from the fender. I rented a R18TC recently in Miami, and forgot what that god awful noise was lol I was like damn they beat this rental bike up... nope it was road noise from the fender lol

Update, I swapped the front fender to a classic fender. Road noise is gone, but the brakes still squeak.
I've just been ignoring the squeak.

110% road noise is from the fender. I rented a R18TC recently in Miami, and forgot what that god awful noise was lol I was like damn they beat this rental bike up... nope it was road noise from the fender lol

Thats crazy... I took my fender off and lined the inside of it to eliminate any acoustic issues, like sound proofing... Didn't stop the noise... Drives me crazy 5k miles + and it wont go away.

Thats crazy... I took my fender off and lined the inside of it to eliminate any acoustic issues, like sound proofing... Didn't stop the noise... Drives me crazy 5k miles + and it wont go away.

Want to hear/feel the difference... drive a route with the most noise with the fender on... then go home remove the fender and go on the same route... you'll hear a night and day difference

Haha.... I've always had the noise... thought it was the front tyre on our coarse bitumen roads (Australia) ..... might have a play now.

Back