A win for BMW

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

I just got off of a nice evening ride on my R18TC minus the top box ( I guess that makes it an R18B ). I'm 5'8" and just delighted at the wind protection afforded by the R18TC. With the winglets in the closed position, there not only is no buffeting but there is no wind either. This bike has the best win deflection geometry of any bike I have owned. I always felt the Harley RoadGlide was the best wind protector, but not anymore.
Somehow the BMW engineers were able to configure the windscreen so that the vertical vacuum wind is between you and the windscreen. Reach forward and you can feel that vertical stream. But it is not on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Wind is always a factor and one we try to deal with.

Good to see BMW nailed it with the handlebar fairing and winglets. My 19 tour wing wind management is sort of ok. Actually, I was surprised at the amount of engine heat she kicks off out of the side fairing vent. If one keeps the legs on the pegs inside the fairing no issue else on highway pegs. But if you spread your legs out just a tad sideways you can feel that heat exiting a plenty I feel.
Never seemed to notice heat on the prior gen wing I once owned.

Way back in the day owned a K75T (think it was called...had a handlebar windscreen standard on it). Back then BMW was able to boil water for you on the K1000 (was it K1100) since the engine got so hot it boiled the fuel in the gas tank (could be mistaken). At any rate, I added some insulated rubber sided thick padded fabric strips on each side just under the tank rim. That forced the engine heat down and away from me when riding.

I ordered the fairing winglets and the TC front directional lights for my R18 B; it's part of the auxiliary lighting project. The TC winglets will interfer with the Bagger front directional lights, as the TC and B have different mounting locations.

I ordered the fairing winglets and the TC front directional lights for my R18 B; it's part of the auxiliary lighting project. The TC winglets will interfer with the Bagger front directional lights, as the TC and B have different mounting locations.

Just to confirm:

1. Winglets can be installed but will interfere with R18 Bagger turn signals that are fork mounted
2. You'll need to relocate them to where they are on the TC so you bought the bar needed to mount them
3. They 'should' mount right up and work with existing wiring
4. you're also planning on installing the Aux lights? I didn't think there was a retrofit for these which is why I haven't considered them

but that is interesting on the winglets. I'll need to update my conversion thread because I didn't think the winglets would interfere with the bagger turn signals which I actually like in their current location.

I finally took a closer look. Scott is absolutely right. Winglet add = turn signal relocation...no way around it.
wOhoOL4.jpeg

I posted pictures of an R18 B which went down, where I noted the damage to the exhaust, luggage cases, cylinder head cover for those who might be considering the luggage case protection bars. That bike had the winglets installed and I physically tried adjusting them; you have to bend the blinker mounting bracket to flip the winglet.

I even purchased the TC fork tube cap which is just a cap for the TC; however, the Bagger cap is also the blinker (directional) mounting bracket. Honestly, swapping the caps will be the hardest part of the whole job, since it require dropping the forks down and out of the triple tree.

There isn't a auxiliary light retrofit kit, I just ordered the necessary parts for a TC ($1200); I plan on documenting the project and sharing it. I already posted the auxiliary light wiring diagram and how I plan on having the auxiliary lights turn ON.

When I first saw the R18B I fell in love. Looked around for some time then happened onto a killer deal on a TC.
With the top box and frame off I got my R18B after all and it has lots of trinkets not found on the B.
If anyone shopping for our bikes is reading this…..get the TC even if you want the B.

I just got off of a nice evening ride on my R18TC minus the top box ( I guess that makes it an R18B ). I'm 5'8" and just delighted at the wind protection afforded by the R18TC. With the winglets in the closed position, there not only is no buffeting but there is no wind either. This bike has the best win deflection geometry of any bike I have owned. I always felt the Harley RoadGlide was the best wind protector, but not anymore.
Somehow the BMW engineers were able to configure the windscreen so that the vertical vacuum wind is between you and the windscreen. Reach forward and you can feel that vertical stream. But it is not on you.
100% agree on the closed winglets.

When I first bought my TC, my winglets were open and I was getting a lot of buffeting. Initially I thought it was because I was sitting too high and the windshield was sloped too far back. However, when I got home and broke out the manual, I realized the winglets played a huge role in wind deflection.

Once I closed them, it made a night and day difference in wind buffeting. IMO, I have no reason to open them ever again. Also, I no longer think about replacing my windshield with a 3rd party alternative ;).

Mike

100% agree on the closed winglets.

When I first bought my TC, my winglets were open and I was getting a lot of buffeting. Initially I thought it was because I was sitting too high and the windshield was sloped too far back. However, when I got home and broke out the manual, I realized the winglets played a huge role in wind deflection.

Once I closed them, it made a night and day difference in wind buffeting. IMO, I have no reason to open them ever again. Also, I no longer think about replacing my windshield with a 3rd party alternative ;).

Mike
Spot on. I leave them closed at all times (unless over 95 Fahrenheit)

Back