About to pull the trigger on a 2021 R18. Talk me out of it.

mmm that strikes a chord. I bought my new ‘leftover’ R18FE at a great price, late summer (no regrets). I was going to p/x my CB1000R but at the 11th hour (day before) I decided to keep it, just incase the R18 didn’t work out. Well, I’m sort of glad I did, for every reason you’ve given plus a few more. I was out on the CB yesterday actually and they are chalk and cheese to ride. I do struggle with the indulgence of having two bikes, I don’t need two and of course there’s the money side of it all. However many folks have two or more bikes and have no problem whatsoever with that concept so I’m trying not to overthink it and keep both but I really don’t know which I would sell if it came to it. They are so different.

View attachment 7474
Yes, Insurance cost for both along with bike upkeep do come into play. Sort of like having both an r1250r and r18. Different bikes…city use and highway cruiser. With r18 better for slow city cruising when used there due to reasons stated. So long as one does not just sit in the garage while you ride the other say 85% of the time seems like two or more is a win.

I can tell you this: by having both, you will appreciate each more! The Streetfighter is awesome when I want to ride twisties, and enjoy sport riding in general.
When it comes to cruising, relaxed riding, I take the R18 and enjoy the scenery everywhere I go.
In either case... I'm riding a work of art!

Attachments

• IMG_8444.jpg
    IMG_8444.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8480.jpg
    IMG_8480.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Ok. My 2 cents as the saying goes. I think there are low mile FE’s around because 1) the bike launched during lockdown (broadly speaking) so very corporate and overly gushing press reviews were all we could go on 2) BMW built big numbers prior to actual release to dealers 3) a small but significant number of YouTubers who dislike the BMW brand or even the idea of any HD competition were able to test ride them and then go to town slating the bike because they took pleasure in doing so or just wanted ‘clickbait’ 4) it is expensive and servicing can be 5) as an only bike its not really an ‘all rounder’ or that practical to own on a daily basis and some peoples expectations were just too high. It is a big very low heavy cruiser and it’s really not that fast. 6) after the ‘honeymoon’ period was over dealers still had too many bikes in stock so had to pre register or demo them.

However. Two years have passed. That pool of new ‘leftover’ bikes has gone. BMW will I’m sure reduce numbers to cater for the actual market demand and used prices will settle (IMHO).

So why buy? Well, this is only my opinion but just look at it. It’s a stunner. There’s nothing else like it. I’ve had a few boxers before 2 x R850R, R9T. Ridden the R1100RT and GS. Knew I wanted one. If you are on the fence I would suggest you try one before buying because it might not be for you. Depends what you want. I use the reverse, I have gravel on my drive and without it I would really struggle.

I much prefer it to the R9T. Much roomier riding position, much nicer engine, nicer sound, it feels ‘Royal’. Riding sub 60mph feels unbelievably relaxed and effortless, it ‘wafts’ along. Short shifting feels terrific. Much above that speed the wind becomes annoying but that’s the same with most naked bikes.

When I go in the garage and lift the bike cover. It’s just a ‘wow’ moment. Good luck on your quest.
Would have to agree on the looks. It’s what made me switch from my HD but I have to say I regret it now. The saddle bag volume is way smaller on the BMW. I bought the upgrade Marshall stereo and it’s quite disappointing when compared to the Rockford Fossgate you can get on the HD. There is no variable speed volume on the BMW and the rear speakers bottom out at fairly low volumes. My WiFi routinely won’t connect and so I’m often driving without navigation. this never happens wit the HD since it doesn’t rely on your cell phone for nav. Checking the oil is another mystery of design intention As it is recommended as a two man job!

Would have to agree on the looks. It’s what made me switch from my HD but I have to say I regret it now. The saddle bag volume is way smaller on the BMW. I bought the upgrade Marshall stereo and it’s quite disappointing when compared to the Rockford Fossgate you can get on the HD. There is no variable speed volume on the BMW and the rear speakers bottom out at fairly low volumes. My WiFi routinely won’t connect and so I’m often driving without navigation. this never happens wit the HD since it doesn’t rely on your cell phone for nav. Checking the oil is another mystery of design intention As it is recommended as a two man job!
Shame. I guess we only get to fully understand our bikes when we‘ve had them a while and lived with them. Not sure what you can do, accept the limitations or switch back to a HD. Has the OP come to a decision?

I found that setting the stereo to "Balanced" within the audio settings menu provides a clearer sound quality; I actually like the Marshall system, all of my HD buddies have upgraded their audio systems and seem pretty impressed with the stock R 18 B Marshall system. I too am surprised that the R 18 doesn't have a variable volume setting which increases with road speed; perhaps it will be a software upgrade down the road. I noticed while installing the TC auxiliary lights on my B model, that the audio system had a ALPINE label on it.

I agree, the side case volume is smaller when compared to the average HD Street or Road Glide cases; however the trade off is quality I guess, especially with the locking feature and fit.

BMWConnected: This is a routine that I feel like I'm constantly perfecting, I typically launch my music first (Prime) and then launch the BMW Connected app which seems to connect shortly after turning on the bike; I have noted a couple of places along a couple of roads where I loose the Wi-Fi connection, which I assume is Co-Channel interference specific to that area on the road. It typically restores shortly after passing through that small stretch of roadway; I noted this on Rt. 17 in NJ (Ramsey area) every single time, both on the North and South bound directions. Again, I'm a little surprised that the Navigation isn't local on the bike, or perhaps isn't using a physical wired connection option in lieu of the Wi-Fi wireless connection.

Anyway, I'm still extremely happy with my choice; I was between the HD Street Glide ST, HD Road Glide St and the R 18 B First Edition.

Back