Adaptive headlight issue?

Test the light at night in complete darkness for accuracy of the beam shining it on your garage door. Take pictures and post them up here. If it's a problem, take a picture of the odometer reading as well as the date, and if need be, forward all of that as evidence in an email, to your local BMW dealership service department for warranty repair. You have to document everything to get BMW to see that it truly is a warranty problem, and that it's not right.

Also report it to NHTSA here link>
NHTSA report a problem form.

Test the light at night in complete darkness for accuracy of the beam shining it on your garage door. Take pictures and post them up here. If it's a problem, take a picture of the odometer reading as well as the date, and if need be, forward all of that as evidence in an email, to your local BMW dealership service department for warranty repair. You have to document everything to get BMW to see that it truly is a warranty problem, and that it's not right.

Also report it to NHTSA here link>
NHTSA report a problem form.
Although
This is my light with the bike off and upright. It’s off center, but it should straighten itself out once the bike is moved and after it figures out how to align itself, correct? Or, because it’s off center powered off means it’s an issue? I never drive this bike at night, maybe I should to check it out.View attachment 11864
I”m assuming mine has an issue since it’s off center. I took it out at night, the low beam seems fine and the adaptive function works. But, the high beam is way to high. So, I’m not sure. I assume the high beam can be adjusted? If it’ off center like this, is that a problem?

I had another look at my headlight and could see the issue straight away..... not sure why I didn't see it last last time...... anyway... most of the leds are not working in the horizontal led bar daytime bit..... just a couple on the brake lever side working.... I have it booked in for two weeks time.... but it will be an all day hassle to get it looked at..... so I may wait until next years service.

I had another look at my headlight and could see the issue straight away..... not sure why I didn't see it last last time...... anyway... most of the leds are not working in the horizontal led bar daytime bit..... just a couple on the brake lever side working.... I have it booked in for two weeks time.... but it will be an all day hassle to get it looked at..... so I may wait until next years service.
I think you want to look for any broken reflective pieces, and or worn reflective coating from the mechanical movement being stuck or seized?

My headlight was stuck in one direction, which caused the reflector to rub and eventually wear away the reflective coating; my light wasn't bouncing around which caused a dazzling effect when riding at night.

I'll check my bike later today and take note of the light's position when powered off.

I took my bike to the Hasbrouck Heights, NJ shop; where they tried a calibration procedure as recommended by the mothership.. I'm not sure what was involved, maybe they can try to correct your light; or at least try and get the headlight in an orientation to give you some light on the roadway.
Are you having issues I would like to discuss I live in North NJ as well

The light on mine flickers right in front of the bike, a foot or two in front of the wheel, but the beam seems solid and stable ahead of me. The adaptive mechanism appears to be working on mine as well, so maybe the flickering is normal - or a sign it’s about to die.
that's what I am experiencing

2167 miles?!?!

If I were you, I would also file a complaint with the NHTSA, as headlamps are CLEARLY a safety item. BMW on its own, won't lift a finger unless enough owners raise a stink with the regulatory agencies.

Here's the direct link to the NHTSA online complaint form: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Anyone else with this issue should also file a complaint with the NHTSA as well. This is how some safety recalls get started.

Mike
Filed my complaint today (y)

so how many bikes are affected ?
Let's put it this way.... BMW hasn't issued serial # bikes that are affected by the defective headlight issue. So, until they do, assume all bikes are affected. I think they're hoping that most will break just outside of warranty. Then the $3300 headlight part price tag, plus labor is on the owner. Until a new part number shows up for the headlight, indicating the part has been changed or updated, it's a crummy replacement possibly set to fail again, also, this time, on your tab, outside of warranty.

Let's put it this way.... BMW hasn't issued serial # bikes that are affected by the defective headlight issue. So, until they do, assume all bikes are affected. I think they're hoping that most will break just outside of warranty. Then the $3300 headlight part price tag, plus labor is on the owner. Until a new part number shows up for the headlight, indicating the part has been changed or updated, it's a crummy replacement possibly set to fail again, also, this time, on your tab, outside of warranty.
Agree with you 120% hence it is imperative that every owner who get the misfortune of having this issue files a complaint with the appropriate regulator.

Question for the UK riders.
Over here we don’t have lemon’s laws.
Is there a regulator like the Ombudsman or something where one can file a complaint or even make them aware of existing defects elsewhere before something really happens? Chances are no case can be opened if no defects are in place but hey ho, worth the try.

Is the Adaptive Headlight option only limited to the Model B and TC, or do the other R18 models have the Adaptive Headlight as an option?

Maybe it's worth starting a new "Adaptive Headlight Survey" Post/Thread, in order to collect data around the issue; I'd be willing to do it, but I'm not 100% sure on how to implement it within this platform - I just know it can be done as I've seen others post voting options and such?

Example:
R18 Model (B or TC, Other)
Year
Headlight Failure (Yes - No)
Estimated time to repair
Etc.

owners with the broken headlights, are you still able to ride the bike or is it just too wonky?

no inventory and no communication from BMW bothers me. I'm getting cold feet while waiting for my TC. even after the stop sale zero communication bs, now BMW NA is not providing any info on when they're going to send my bike from NJ to PA.

seeing this headlight issue and potentially other issues that might come up, I'm wondering if the TC could be a headache I don't want to wait for anymore and I should just move on to another brand of touring bike.

On my TC the headlight seems to work ok, as far as shining bright light on the road ahead of me although it doesn't seem to follow the road.
The headlight is bright and strong, but I expect the beam would be a bit better balanced if it would center and move freely.
The reflector stays off center to the left side of the bike and twitches a little when the bike is powered on but doesn't center.
My dealer has looked at it, is concerned, and I'm certain they'll attend to it when I next service the bike.
I just enjoy riding it so much it's hard to part with it until maybe this winter, unless the headlight actually fails.

Last edited:
On my TC the headlight seems to work ok, as far as shining bright light on the road ahead of me although it doesn't seem to follow the road.
The headlight is bright and strong, but I expect the beam would be a bit better balanced if it would center and move freely.
The reflector stays off center to the left side of the bike and twitches a little when the bike is powered on but doesn't center.
My dealer has looked at it, is concerned, and I'm certain they'll attend to it when I next service the bike.
I just enjoy riding it so much it's hard to part with it until maybe this winter, unless the headlight actually fails.
I hope you're right, with your next service. You'll probably get put in line for the next time they have spare headlights in inventory. Could be a while, like currently 2 to 3 month wait. BMW just isn't keeping the part in stock, their idea of "Just in Time" inventory only works for bikes being built on the production line. Seems everything else, need wise, is an afterthought. Sort of similar to the way Russians handle war logistics, sucks if you're on the front line. It wasn't that long ago that Berlin was surrounded by Soviet Union think and culture.

My headlight had the same issue; maybe push on your service manager to start your warranty repair by documenting the current issue and at least get your headlight ordered. I had emailed pictures and stopped by my service shop, in order to start my headlight warranty repair; they called me when my headlight arrived and scheduled the replacement approx 3 months later.

My headlight had the same issue; maybe push on your service manager to start your warranty repair by documenting the current issue and at least get your headlight ordered. I had emailed pictures and stopped by my service shop, in order to start my headlight warranty repair; they called me when my headlight arrived and scheduled the replacement approx 3 months later.
Thanks Scott, great advice. I'll get that in the works pretty quick, with luck it'll be replaced before it fails.
It's pretty much always been how it is now; it'll be nice to see how it's really supposed to work. :)

Back