Adaptive headlight issue?

It’s funny how this problem is only with the B & TC models. The Roctane has an adaptive headlight, and they don’t seem to be affected.
I could be wrong but I believe the Roctane uses a different unit. I believe the headlight is similar to the one employed on the Classic and Pure.

It’s funny how this problem is only with the B & TC models. The Roctane has an adaptive headlight, and they don’t seem to be affected.
Very easy .. from the pictures I have seen (have not seen a 'Roctane' in person) it uses the same headlight as the 'FE' and 'Classic' Model which is the same as the one on the R9 ... it has no moving parts .. only more LEDs light up left or right ... depending on which way you go ;)

EDIT: LOL Anibal was faster!!!

Aside from warranty issues, has somebody tried to switch from the B/TC unit to the FE/Pure/classic one ?
Do the diameter and connections allow that?
It could be a simple and easy way to get out of the mud.
My FE has the optional "fixed" adaptative headlight.
It works fine but I don't find the side lights really usefull.

Aside from warranty issues, has somebody tried to switch from the B/TC unit to the FE/Pure/classic one ?
Do the diameter and connections allow that?
It could be a simple and easy way to get out of the mud.
My FE has the optional "fixed" adaptative headlight.
It works fine but I don't find the side lights really usefull.
Same here .. I really could live without it ... but it did come pre-installed ... so ... oh well ;)

I actually love the adaptive headlight on my K1600. I don't ride much at night but since I go to work at 0500 it does a great job of lighting around curves to help me see deer off the side of the road. Came in handy a few times with both the R18 & K1600. Definitely will not ride my old Kawasaki in the dark, lighting is no good on that bike after the BMW's

Well with regard to "potentially other issues that might come up", it's a motorcycle. All motorcycles have potential issues. I have had some with better luck than others.

My light has not yet broken - but I certainly understand how frustrated you may be with a bike you have not even yet been able to bring home yet.

I am not sure where you are along your purchase process - but yeah - I would either want some compensation from BMW or I would back out of the deal if I could. It is kind of absurd.

But I expect - the grass is always greener. But then you get to the other side and weeds exist everywhere. I have had to really just disconnect myself from caring anymore because I am so frustrated how hard it is to get good customer service with these very expensive toys. We pay a premium for the brand and then we still have the same BS as if we bought a cheap bike from the lowest cost supplier.

I have emailed BMW a couple times on this for my own purposes, they need to know that people are watching.
I posted that a while ago and ended up taking the R18TC. loving it. no issues with my headlight yet thankfully.

I just cannot believe that they don't have a game plan Yet what about all those dealers with inventory they cannot sell
It feels more and more wild as time goes by with not even a minimal update from BMW. They’ll have their whole manufactured fleet of R18Bs and TCs sitting around unsellable until they create a fix. I assume the 2024s are impacted as well, so no one in the market for these bikes can have one. And we’re entering riding season. Shame on the company.

It feels more and more wild as time goes by with not even a minimal update from BMW. They’ll have their whole manufactured fleet of R18Bs and TCs sitting around unsellable until they create a fix. I assume the 2024s are impacted as well, so no one in the market for these bikes can have one. And we’re entering riding season. Shame on the company.
To also add something else since they have stop sale on these models a dealer told me since there is no resolution in sight they would not even take the Bike as a trade since they could not legally sell them . Nonetheless the trade values are suffering big time what a sham.

To also add something else since they have stop sale on these models a dealer told me since there is no resolution in sight they would not even take the Bike as a trade since they could not legally sell them . Nonetheless the trade values are suffering big time what a sham.
There could be benefit there, though. If no one can buy at a dealer and no one can trade in at a dealer, maybe private sales get a little boost.

This was supposed to be their bike to compete with H-D, but going on 5 months with no clue what to do, that’s not good.
Ha! Can’t compete with a damn thing if you can’t sell the bike! I don’t know thing one about how these decisions are made, but knowing what I know about Harley, I gotta think most people shopping for Harley end up with a Harley. I don’t know that even the best of BMW or Indian or anyone else cracks the market except for those of us who are decidedly un-Harley.

I will say though, the new road glide ticks a lot of boxes except for pricing. If BMW can keep undercutting with their fully loaded R18s, maybe there’s a swell in sales. I’ll say again though, the guy primarily shopping for a road glide probably won’t be swayed by the Bavarian Beast.

The price of the R18 B First Edition was probably the primary reason for my last bike purchase, when compared to the HD Street Glide ST and or Road Glide ST; the looks of the bike online is what got me to walk into the dealership.

The 96,000+ failure free logged miles on a 2008 BMW R1200 GSA nudged me into the confidence corner... I enjoy the shit out of the R18 B platform, I love that it drives my HD buddies insane...

Back