Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

Cheers. When you mention Goldtop are you referring to this?

https://goldtop.co.uk/collections/jackets

👍👍
yes indeed. after the BMW twin stripes jacket return I ordered an Alpinestars leather jacket. I've had good luck with their textile jackets. It arrived missing the elbow armor and the snap out thermal lining, so back it went.

Some YouTubers mentioned Goldtop, so I ordered their Bobber jacket and absolutely love it.

btw, I didn't pick it for the zipper but it does have forged stainless steel YKK Excella zippers and they are super heavy duty. :)

yes indeed. after the BMW twin stripes jacket return I ordered an Alpinestars leather jacket. I've had good luck with their textile jackets. It arrived missing the elbow armor and the snap out thermal lining, so back it went.

Some YouTubers mentioned Goldtop, so I ordered their Bobber jacket and absolutely love it.

btw, I didn't pick it for the zipper but it does have forged stainless steel YKK Excella zippers and they are super heavy duty. :)
Thank you kindly for the information.

Just got updated on the Recall on adaptive headlight. It’s a voluntary recall
BMW has determine what units are affected by vin & date manufactured & also determine what will be the repair.
As of now no news on what the repair will be. As I get info will share on the forum.

Just got updated on the Recall on adaptive headlight. It’s a voluntary recall
BMW has determine what units are affected by vin & date manufactured & also determine what will be the repair.
As of now no news on what the repair will be. As I get info will share on the forum.
Hmmm. From what I understand, a voluntary recall is voluntary on behalf of the company, not the dealers or the product owners. In other words, BMW was faced with backlash from the reports to the NHS people, and rather than be forced to recall, took the step themselves to recall. I could be entirely wrong, but this is what I learned from the stop sale.

If the recall is per VIN and not per bike with the adaptive light, I wonder if some folks with a replacement unit have the “fix” and not just a new light with the failure risk. My other thought is that per VIN could really just count in all R18Bs and TCs with the light and not all R18s. I’m always skeptical of dealer info, as they either seem not to know what’s going on, or relay the info incorrectly.

My bike definitely has a recall on the VIN. Wonder if folks who have the adaptive light can check the recall site and report in so we can gain an idea of how this is rolling out.

If you run your vin, what do you see? @Scott Semone, if you run yours, do you get the recall notice?

Hmmm. From what I understand, a voluntary recall is voluntary on behalf of the company, not the dealers or the product owners. In other words, BMW was faced with backlash from the reports to the NHS people, and rather than be forced to recall, took the step themselves to recall. I could be entirely wrong, but this is what I learned from the stop sale.

If the recall is per VIN and not per bike with the adaptive light, I wonder if some folks with a replacement unit have the “fix” and not just a new light with the failure risk. My other thought is that per VIN could really just count in all R18Bs and TCs with the light and not all R18s. I’m always skeptical of dealer info, as they either seem not to know what’s going on, or relay the info incorrectly.

My bike definitely has a recall on the VIN. Wonder if folks who have the adaptive light can check the recall site and report in so we can gain an idea of how this is rolling out.

If you run your vin, what do you see? @Scott Semone, if you run yours, do you get the recall notice?
So basically... I'll volunteer for another headlight replacement a week before my warranty runs out...
Link here for reference: https://nhtsa.bmwgroup.com/safetyrecall/pages/motorradRecallSearch.xhtml

Thank you for the link. I have a 2023 TC and a recall for the headlamp comes up when I run my vin. shows "remedy not available". I think you're right on what they mean by "voluntary". BMW wasn't forced to do that recall by a government agency.
1705009400939.png

My 2022 B VIN comes up as one of the recall units.

Recall also in Canada. Will be contacted by BMW by mail i guess.

Recall also in Canada. Will be contacted by BMW by mail i guess.
[/URL]
glad to see our northern neighbors are being recognized in this recall. This provides more info than the US site. 2022-2024 are recalled, meaning that they haven’t fixed the issue for lights installed in the 2024 (not that anyone said they did, but providing context). With that, and no remedy being cited, it’s becoming more likely that y’all with replacement lamps are going to get new lamps again here soon.

Hoping mine holds up in the meantime. Won’t be throwing miles on for a few months probably.

Thank you all for your efforts and communication.
My 2022 TC FE shows up on the list using the link above to the nhtsa.bmwgroup site.
This information will be very helpful convincing dealer of the issue, mine is not working properly but is not yet visibly 'broken'.
~ Dave

My 2022 R18 Model B broken headlight was replaced under warranty, this past 2023 Summer; I searched my VIN and it shows a "HEADLAMP" under the BMW safety recall campaign:

Screenshot_20240115-062157.png

My 2022 R18 Model B broken headlight was replaced under warranty, this past 2023 Summer; I searched my VIN and it shows a "HEADLAMP" under the BMW safety recall campaign:

View attachment 12822
You’re the first I’m aware of with a replacement unit also caught in the recall. I’m feeling more confident that it’ll be all bikes with the adaptive light, replacement or not.

Who knows how far into a redesign/fix they are. My hope for an April/May timeline might be a little quick considering all the work and steps in the process of redesign, manufacturing, shipping, and scheduling how many ever bikes are impacted in a region. I guess lucky part right now is that these are low volume units so far. I’ll bet my dealer hasn’t sold a dozen B/TC models since they became available.

Hopefully the re-designed Adaptive Headlight is an improvement over the exiting design in terms of durability; for those who have a Model B or TC, it's a "do nothing item" until it starts to break apart. My headlight took a while for it to finally start to break apart, between 5k and 6k miles; I didn't really notice a difference with the performance of the headlight, since I didn't ride all that much after dark.

None of my riding buddies noticed it or complained about the "dazzling" effect that the broken reflectors may have introduced; I only noticed the light falling apart after inspecting it periodically. Once it was clear that it was breaking apart, I made an appointment in order to have the service shop document and start the warranty process; I kept riding with the broken headlight for months, while I waited for the replacement headlight to arrive in the US from Germany (2 - 3 months).

I'm assuming my headlight will most likely be replaced AGAIN; however, with an improved design to be more durable as mentioned earlier....

There is an article on motorcycle.com which addresses this issue. "BMW of North America, LLC is recalling a number of its motorcycles due to a headlight issue that compromises visibility. This recall specifically involves the BMW R 18, R 18B, and R 18 Transcontinental models produced between 2021 and 2024 and equipped with adaptive headlights. The problem lies in the attachment points of the headlight's low beam, which may break. This defect could lead to the reflector shifting out of its intended position, resulting in weakened illumination".

Recall Details and Scale

The recall affects an estimated 2,369 units. BMW has initiated this recall to address the potential safety risks posed by this issue.

Planned Remedial Measures

As of now, BMW is in the process of developing a remedy for this problem. The company plans to start sending out notification letters to owners of the affected motorcycles on February 13, 2024. Until a remedy is available, owners of these motorcycles should be aware of the potential risks associated with the headlight issue.

Customer Guidance and Support

Motorcycle owners who may be impacted by this recall are advised to contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417 for further information and guidance. Additionally, they can reach out to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or visit www.nhtsa.gov for more details.

My Alcina is also showing she's up for the recall...

While my headlamp isn't broken (yet), I'm most certainly going to take BMW up on this recall to get this VERY pricey SNAFU fixed on their dime!

My bet is parts won't be available until springtime. Just in time for everybody to rush in for their normal service jobs anyway.

Well...those who don't know how to turn a wrench or wanna get their pretty paws dirty...:rolleyes:

Mike

Back