Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

Why doesn't everyone just use YKK zippers, especially for the large amounts of money they charge for clothing? They are very reliable.
Yeah! Pretty annoyed that it’s not a YKK. I’m hoping the replacement jacket they gave me holds up. Otherwise I might have a YKK swapped into it.

Just got my official recall letter in the mail. States “remedy is unavailable” and that BMW will contact owners once the remedy is available to schedule the repair. I was hopeful that BMW would have this sorted and repairs happening by April/May, but given we’re days away from March, that’s quite an ambitious timeline. I guess we can still hope!
got my letter also today not very happy with the current situation

If anyone knows if a buyback is even a viable option please post details here. I would be very interested in that as a remedy.
Look up the process for your state’s lemon law (if they have one). In Michigan, for example, the dealer has four attempts to successfully fix the problem before you can press a buyback. If they can’t fix it or if the vehicle is out of service for more than 30 days in the first year of ownership, you’re able to proceed under the lemon law. I’d assume each state has their own variances. A recall order on its own isn’t enough to warrant the buyback.

Look up the process for your state’s lemon law (if they have one). In Michigan, for example, the dealer has four attempts to successfully fix the problem before you can press a buyback. If they can’t fix it or if the vehicle is out of service for more than 30 days in the first year of ownership, you’re able to proceed under the lemon law. I’d assume each state has their own variances. A recall order on its own isn’t enough to warrant the buyback.

I would hate to have to sell back my bike; I feel like it is so dialed in at this point of ownership...

“A recall order on its own isn’t enough to warrant a buyback“: what if you intend on riding the motorcycle after dark and are unable to do so because of the faulty “recalled” headlight that doesn’t have a remedy at this point. Does this change the situation? I totally understand that technically the motorcycle is fully functional and able to be ridden but the whole reason there is a NHTSA recall administered in the first place is because a headlight is considered a “safety” device. So if I am “unable” to ride my motorcycle for more than thirty days would this be considered a qualifying event or do I have to take my bike to the dealership and request that they keep the bike until a remedy is fitted? I don’t want to put that kind of burden on my amazing dealership. As I am sure is the case with many the dealership closest to me is one of very few BMW dealerships in the state and their workspace is always tight. Just don’t want to put stress on a really good relationship with a dealer I will likely be doing business with for years to come. It certainly is not fault of theirs that this issue has occurred or that there isn’t currently a viable solution.

“A recall order on its own isn’t enough to warrant a buyback“: what if you intend on riding the motorcycle after dark and are unable to do so because of the faulty “recalled” headlight that doesn’t have a remedy at this point. Does this change the situation? I totally understand that technically the motorcycle is fully functional and able to be ridden but the whole reason there is a NHTSA recall administered in the first place is because a headlight is considered a “safety” device. So if I am “unable” to ride my motorcycle for more than thirty days would this be considered a qualifying event or do I have to take my bike to the dealership and request that they keep the bike until a remedy is fitted? I don’t want to put that kind of burden on my amazing dealership. As I am sure is the case with many the dealership closest to me is one of very few BMW dealerships in the state and their workspace is always tight. Just don’t want to put stress on a really good relationship with a dealer I will likely be doing business with for years to come. It certainly is not fault of theirs that this issue has occurred or that there isn’t currently a viable solution.
From what I can gather, experiences differ here. The recall notice seems to absolve manufactures of some level of liability. There might be some flex to ask your dealer to buy the bike back, but I can't find any legal rule or precedent that suggests a dealer has to agree to this. Good question with the "out of service" timeline. I can see BMW pressing that the bike is fully functional during daylight hours and refusing any additional action before the remedy is issued. Could always lawyer up and push that way if the wait for the remedy is out of the question. Pretty frustrating, for sure. I hope they're swift with the fix, especially for those who either have a broken unit already or who ride at night.

We could also continue to bark at the NHTSA. I wonder if they have any measure of a reasonable timeline for a remedy before additional action is possible. I think we hit May and if we haven't gotten a promising update we let the dogs out.

From what I can gather, experiences differ here. The recall notice seems to absolve manufactures of some level of liability. There might be some flex to ask your dealer to buy the bike back, but I can't find any legal rule or precedent that suggests a dealer has to agree to this. Good question with the "out of service" timeline. I can see BMW pressing that the bike is fully functional during daylight hours and refusing any additional action before the remedy is issued. Could always lawyer up and push that way if the wait for the remedy is out of the question. Pretty frustrating, for sure. I hope they're swift with the fix, especially for those who either have a broken unit already or who ride at night.
what if we want to ride in the Evening ?

what if we want to ride in the Evening ?
Precisely!!! They need to find a fix and if a new design is not available yet, then they need to replace the broken headlight with a new one of the same design or alternative unit, i.e, a non adaptive headlight, until the new and improved product is available and in the meantime keep fixing the headlight if it breaks again. It is not the case of putting extra pressure on the dealership as they are powerless, but it is a case of working with the dealership to ensure a temporary solution is implemented in the meantime and that pressure needs to go directly to the manufacturer.
In any case, no dealership or manufacturer can’t dictate when I can use my vehicle. If it is not fit for purpose then the ball is on their court and the have to resolve the matter.

Precisely!!! They need to find a fix and if a new design is not available yet, then they need to replace the broken headlight with a new one of the same design or alternative unit, i.e, a non adaptive headlight, until the new and improved product is available and in the meantime keep fixing the headlight if it breaks again. It is not the case of putting extra pressure on the dealership as they are powerless, but it is a case of working with the dealership to ensure a temporary solution is implemented in the meantime and that pressure needs to go directly to the manufacturer.
In any case, no dealership or manufacturer can’t dictate when I can use my vehicle. If it is not fit for purpose then the ball is on their court and the have to resolve the matter.
Honestly I am not pleased at all I may consider the lemon law Route

Back