Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

I'm fortunate to have a dealer and salesperson who are top notch and are rider-centered.
I spoke with my salesperson today about the stop-sale. He empathized with my disappointment and apologized for the lack of updates.
Bottom line, I still want the R1800 Transcontinental to take it's place in my one car garage with its siblings--R1200C and K1600 GA. I found a solution for tight quarters: a MC dolly. By using the GA center stand to place it on the dolly. I can then guide the GA into a sideways position at the back wall of the garage.Screenshot_20240423_225505_Chrome.jpg

I'm fortunate to have a dealer and salesperson who are top notch and are rider-centered.
I spoke with my salesperson today about the stop-sale. He empathized with my disappointment and apologized for the lack of updates.
Bottom line, I still want the R1800 Transcontinental to take it's place in my one car garage with its siblings--R1200C and K1600 GA. I found a solution for tight quarters: a MC dolly. By using the GA center stand to place it on the dolly. I can then guide the GA into a sideways position at the back wall of the garage.View attachment 14124
I've seen a four-wheel dolly option for the existing KERN-STABI X-518 R18 bike stand/lift; it may cost a little bit more, but would be multi use and stable platform for moving and maintaining your R18.

Just spoke to my dealer in the UK about this. The UK "service bulletin" is to literally read out a statement from BMW saying that there is a risk of the light failing and loose pieces being heard or seen in the headlight, but that this "should" not affect the beam :ROFLMAO:

We Brits get shafted...and often. I'd better put the kettle on to make more tea.

• Haha
Reactions: 425
Just spoke to my dealer in the UK about this. The UK "service bulletin" is to literally read out a statement from BMW saying that there is a risk of the light failing and loose pieces being heard or seen in the headlight, but that this "should" not affect the beam :ROFLMAO:

We Brits get shafted...and often. I'd better put the kettle on to make more tea.
There are a significant number of riders on the R1800 forum who are riding there big boxers. I hope and pray nobody gets injured due to the headlight defect. Meanwhile, I'll have a cup of tea please.
🍵🫖🍵🫖🍵

Wrong info from the dealer. A stop sale is just that cash or otherwise. “It is a violation of Federal Law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by the notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. Substantial civil penalties apply to violations of this law.”

Reactions: 425
I'm thankful for the protection the federal law affords, but how long does something like this take to fix? The official recall seems to be dated December 2023, but there are R18 owners who reported having had the headlamp problem months earlier. What's going on behind OZ's curtain?

I have checked many times on the DVLA and UK Motorrad and the head light issue is nowhere to be seen, let alone a recall. The issue I have, besides the headlight failing, is that if the head light were to fail and the beam points anywhere except where it supposed to, when we go for the annual compulsory vehicle safety inspection (MOT) this will be an automatic failure and one cannot ride the vehicle until fixed, therefore as there is no fix the MOT cannot be done and the police and DVLA are automatically notified of expired MOTs, so BMW is then forcing their customers off the road without any rights to do so. My headlight has not stopped working, thank god for that, and I don’t want to put the cart on front of the horse, but obviously I am very concerned I can get trapped in limbo if this were to happen to me.
You can bet that if they force me to keep my bike garaged because they cannot put any replacement on my bike, not just the adaptive head light, I will be taking them to court as the bike is not only my livelihood but also my commute to and from work.
I paid top dollar for the machine and the adaptive headlight was an expensive extra, therefore I expect them to put the darn thing right, no questions asked.

Wrong info from the dealer. A stop sale is just that cash or otherwise. “It is a violation of Federal Law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by the notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. Substantial civil penalties apply to violations of this law.”

Did you mean to reply to my post about a salesman telling me they will sell it for cash or another financial institution regardless of the stop sale? The original R18B bagger I inquired about was sold. How did they sell the other bike during the recall? The concerning thing is this is from a well known dealer. Apparently the rules don't apply to them.

The honest dealer in Cleveland said he'd love to sell me the bike but there's a stop sale. He asked me which dealer, I haven't told him but it's a well known dealer mentioned in this forum.

I have checked many times on the DVLA and UK Motorrad and the head light issue is nowhere to be seen, let alone a recall. The issue I have, besides the headlight failing, is that if the head light were to fail and the beam points anywhere except where it supposed to, when we go for the annual compulsory vehicle safety inspection (MOT) this will be an automatic failure and one cannot ride the vehicle until fixed, therefore as there is no fix the MOT cannot be done and the police and DVLA are automatically notified of expired MOTs, so BMW is then forcing their customers off the road without any rights to do so. My headlight has not stopped working, thank god for that, and I don’t want to put the cart on front of the horse, but obviously I am very concerned I can get trapped in limbo if this were to happen to me.
You can bet that if they force me to keep my bike garaged because they cannot put any replacement on my bike, not just the adaptive head light, I will be taking them to court as the bike is not only my livelihood but also my commute to and from work.
I paid top dollar for the machine and the adaptive headlight was an expensive extra, therefore I expect them to put the darn thing right, no questions asked.
Mine came up this morning when I searched on Motorrad UK. 2 weeks ago it wasn't there. I wasn't expecting a manufacturers statement to be read out to me over the phone though!

Dare I say it...the adaptive headlight is no better than the standard one as far as I can see. ("see" what I did there - I'll get me coat. :rolleyes:)

Mine came up this morning when I searched on Motorrad UK. 2 weeks ago it wasn't there. I wasn't expecting a manufacturers statement to be read out to me over the phone though!

Dare I say it...the adaptive headlight is no better than the standard one as far as I can see. ("see" what I did there - I'll get me coat. :rolleyes:)
Oh, I will check again as the recall was not mentioned before on either of the websites.
I spoke to my dealer last year about this and he told me he knew nothing about. I believed him and I don’t think he had any reason to tell me porkies.
A lot has happened since then.
I agree with you. The headlight pro or standard is on par with the adaptive one, I would say. I have ridden at night and I could not see the wow factor. On my 6 series I do have the adaptive headlight and the wow factor is there, especially on tight quarters.
The adaptive headlight was promoted as the must have on this bike as well as the ACC and reverse.
Those are good innovations and one can see why the average Joe would scrap the bottom of the barrel to have those included in the final product.
Like I said, touching wood, mine is ok so far but I would have been happy with a box standard LED headlight, especially if I knew about potential failures.

I'm looking for a R18B. I found out about the recall here. One dealer I was working with didn't even acknowledge it until I asked, pushed for a cash sale, Another dealer said "I wish I could sell you this bike but there's a stop sale. My local dealer simply ignores me, they were kind enough to let me ride it after the Classic I rode had speedo issues and ran like crap (They did say the plugs fouled out and they updated the ECU.

The dealer finally acknowledged they can't sell it through BMW financing, only cash or another institution.
Not sure what dealers your working with however I can tell you both the BMW dealers I went to said the exact same thing. Regardless of finance or cash they cannot sell the bike until the recall is resolved. I will be call my dealer again next month to check if anything changed. I am still waiting to take delivery for my 2023 purchased in Jan 2024.

Oh, I will check again as the recall was not mentioned before on either of the websites.
I spoke to my dealer last year about this and he told me he knew nothing about. I believed him and I don’t think he had any reason to tell me porkies.
A lot has happened since then.
I agree with you. The headlight pro or standard is on par with the adaptive one, I would say. I have ridden at night and I could not see the wow factor. On my 6 series I do have the adaptive headlight and the wow factor is there, especially on tight quarters.
The adaptive headlight was promoted as the must have on this bike as well as the ACC and reverse.
Those are good innovations and one can see why the average Joe would scrap the bottom of the barrel to have those included in the final product.
Like I said, touching wood, mine is ok so far but I would have been happy with a box standard LED headlight, especially if I knew about potential failures.
I have the adaptive headlight on my 2016 K1600 and 2011 335is. Both I would not give up, makes a world of difference on these dark tree lined roads where deer are subject to jump out in your path at any minute. keeps the road lit to help me see what may be in my way. I don't drive/ride much when dark but I am glad to have the adaptive headlights on the vehicles I do have it on

I have the adaptive headlight on my 2016 K1600 and 2011 335is. Both I would not give up, makes a world of difference on these dark tree lined roads where deer are subject to jump out in your path at any minute. keeps the road lit to help me see what may be in my way. I don't drive/ride much when dark but I am glad to have the adaptive headlights on the vehicles I do have it on
I hear you and I do appreciate the ones I have on the car, they are pretty helpful. On the bike, I have only ridden in urban areas, which are well lit up so I have not seen perhaps their full potential?
I am a fan of the brand and I can’t remember ever having a bad experience with BMW, I am just concerned about this situation as it seems it is snowballing out of control and owners are not being kept on the loop. Uncertainty has a nasty habit to bring along its best mate, Anxiety. 😉

I would flood the phones (BMW Recall Hotline at (800) 525-7417) asking for updates :) The more people call hopefully BMW will set some urgency. also make sure they give you a case number acknowledging your call. Just saying

"For general information regarding recalls, please call the BMW Recall Hotline at (800) 525-7417" Still waiting patiently however as another contributor said. Anxiety is starting to kick in...

Not sure what dealers your working with however I can tell you both the BMW dealers I went to said the exact same thing. Regardless of finance or cash they cannot sell the bike until the recall is resolved. I will be call my dealer again next month to check if anything changed. I am still waiting to take delivery for my 2023 purchased in Jan 2024.
One dealer is telling me they can't sell a new or used one with the stop sale.

The other one is saying it only applies to new bikes.

I'd prolly lose my shit if I bought a used bagger and they refused to deliver it or allow me to pick it up after the sale. The person I spoke too never mentioned the stop sale and was asking me to put a deposit on a bike. Now if did that and they said "We can't deliver, either wait or lose the deposit" I'd be pretty pissed about that, especially since he never mentioned it in the first place. I found out about it here.

I'd prolly lose my shit if I bought a used bagger and they refused to deliver it or allow me to pick it up after the sale. The person I spoke too never mentioned the stop sale and was asking me to put a deposit on a bike. Now if did that and they said "We can't deliver, either wait or lose the deposit" I'd be pretty pissed about that, especially since he never mentioned it in the first place. I found out about it here.
I think used is exempt but I’d confirm that

Here's some gouge concerning sales of used vehicles by dealerships:

https://carconsumers.org/blog/2019/...ell-used-cars-with-unrepaired-safety-recalls/

TL;dr: there's no federal law against it, but state laws vary.

Mike

Back