Adaptive Headlight

theMucker

Premium Member
Since I bought my R18 I have been itching to try out the adaptive headlight at night time. Last night, after changing out the tranny & final drive lubes, I took my machine out for a ride. It was a particularly dark night, with a half moon that did very little to illuminate the roads or surroundings and there are no street lamps on the wandering country roads where I live.

My first and IMMEDIATE realization was that the headlamp was not well adjusted to throw the beam far enough down the road. In fact, while on high beam, it was showing only that portion of the road that I would expect the low beam to illuminate. The few cars that went past me, heading in the opposite direction obviously were not offended by the high beam as it was. So I went back to the shop and made an adjustment to the headlamp position. And it was dramatically better. On the second ride in the dark, the high beam threw it's light well down the road, yet was still low enough that it was not "wasting" light in the surrounding trees. On low beam, it lite up the road ahead, while clearly being low enough so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

So, back to trying out the high tech adaptive headlight... DANG! I wonder how much of the retail price of the bike was a result of developing and installing such a waste of engineering. I've seen the YouTube videos and the BMW cars seem to benefit well from such technology. But I can just barely see that the adaptive lamp on my R18 does anything at all. As I lean the bike into a curve there is a slight flicker of a change in illumination at the side corresponding to the inside of the curve. And I mean it's just barely discernable as something that happened in the outboard portion of the beam, but any improvement in illumination of the road ahead or to the side would require precision instrumentation to detect. I had high hopes for this new technology to fix the age-old issue that motorcycles have been subject to since two wheeled transportation was invented. As we lean into a turn and the front suspension sags under lateral G forces, the headlamp aims lower and closer and the inside portion of the curve looses illumination. My expensive high-tech light did nothing to fix the problem.

If nothing else, I would expect that the headlamp would be brighter than the incandescent units of the past. Nope. It does put out a WHITE light, as opposed to the yellowish hue that most incandescent lamps produce. But I had better headlights on most of my past motorcycles of the 80s & 90s. An H4 bulb in a well designed lamp is every bit as good and, in my experience, often better than modern LEDs.

I'm a bit disappointed in this because I particularly like night riding and had high hopes that the adaptive headlight would be a boon to turning curves at night. Still, I should stress that it's not terrible. Just that it definitely could be better. So I'm going to rekindle my search for a way to mount passing lamps at each side of the headlamp. I'm not a fan of the small, powerful lamps that are sometimes installed on engine guards and fork legs. They work great, but in my opinion would not look appropriate on my beautiful, retro-look R18.

I love my R18! But not all of it's touted technology is living up to the marketing hype.

Last edited:
Was the final drive fluid grey?
Was the transmission fluid clear?

I have yet to ride at night and try that feature.

I had to aim the headlight on my last new BMW also. And my new Versys 650 and new Suzuki 650.

For now, I matched to two side lights to the head light on the white garage door. They were way off and different.

The weather is finally good and I am riding it to work every day!

Loving it more and more.
David

Adaptive Headlight IS A WASTE OF MONEY on R 18.​

Nothing to do with efficient car adaptive lights. This one , in a curve , of course i tested it since it was 0km bike , so this one , adds a bit off light when you do curve , about 2m in front of the bike !!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, with your eyes of course 20m ahead . I think we could take BMW to justice for such a misleading information, and this is the nice way of saying it.

Was the final drive fluid grey?
Was the transmission fluid clear?

I have yet to ride at night and try that feature.

I had to aim the headlight on my last new BMW also. And my new Versys 650 and new Suzuki 650.

For now, I matched to two side lights to the head light on the white garage door. They were way off and different.

The weather is finally good and I am riding it to work every day!

Loving it more and more.
David

Hey Dave!
The final drive fluid looked pretty good. Not much apparent metal particles and not very dark. The transmission fluid came out OBVIOUSLY full of fine metal particles and darker. But it was all the original lubricants, so I'm not concerned. If they come out UGLY next time, I'll worry more about BMWs metal-to-metal interfacing.

My methods are not dissimilar to yours in so far as setting the headlight height. I use a BIG sheet of cardboard and a tape measure to compare before & after adjustments. A little of angular adjustment can make a big difference in night vision.

As for riding it to work... I retired in 12/19. "Work" is now a matter of caring for the 3.5 acres that we bought, along with the bigger house that came with it. :oops:

Adaptive Headlight IS A WASTE OF MONEY on R 18.​

Nothing to do with efficient car adaptive lights. This one , in a curve , of course i tested it since it was 0km bike , so this one , adds a bit off light when you do curve , about 2m in front of the bike !!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, with your eyes of course 20m ahead . I think we could take BMW to justice for such a misleading information, and this is the nice way of saying it.
I suppose that BMW's adaptive automotive headlamps work better.
I'll forgive BMW the headlight because the R18, in general, is FANTASTIC!
GAWD! I love this bike more each time I ride it.

Since I bought my R18 I have been itching to try out the adaptive headlight at night time. Last night, after changing out the tranny & final drive lubes, I took my machine out for a ride. It was a particularly dark night, with a half moon that did very little to illuminate the roads or surroundings and there are no street lamps on the wandering country roads where I live.

My first and IMMEDIATE realization was that the headlamp was not well adjusted to throw the beam far enough down the road. In fact, while on high beam, it was showing only that portion of the road that I would expect the low beam to illuminate. The few cars that went past me, heading in the opposite direction obviously were not offended by the high beam as it was. So I went back to the shop and made an adjustment to the headlamp position. And it was dramatically better. On the second ride in the dark, the high beam threw it's light well down the road, yet was still low enough that it was not "wasting" light in the surrounding trees. On low beam, it lite up the road ahead, while clearly being low enough so as not to blind oncoming drivers.

So, back to trying out the high tech adaptive headlight... DANG! I wonder how much of the retail price of the bike was a result of developing and installing such a waste of engineering. I've seen the YouTube videos and the BMW cars seem to benefit well from such technology. But I can just barely see that the adaptive lamp on my R18 does anything at all. As I lean the bike into a curve there is a slight flicker of a change in illumination at the side corresponding to the inside of the curve. And I mean it's just barely discernable as something that happened in the outboard portion of the beam, but any improvement in illumination of the road ahead or to the side would require precision instrumentation to detect. I had high hopes for this new technology to fix the age-old issue that motorcycles have been subject to since two wheeled transportation was invented. As we lean into a turn and the front suspension sags under lateral G forces, the headlamp aims lower and closer and the inside portion of the curve looses illumination. My expensive high-tech light did nothing to fix the problem.

If nothing else, I would expect that the headlamp would be brighter than the incandescent units of the past. Nope. It does put out a WHITE light, as opposed to the yellowish hue that most incandescent lamps produce. But I had better headlights on most of my past motorcycles of the 80s & 90s. An H4 bulb in a well designed lamp is every bit as good and, in my experience, often better than modern LEDs.

I'm a bit disappointed in this because I particularly like night riding and had high hopes that the adaptive headlight would be a boon to turning curves at night. Still, I should stress that it's not terrible. Just that it definitely could be better. So I'm going to rekindle my search for a way to mount passing lamps at each side of the headlamp. I'm not a fan of the small, powerful lamps that are sometimes installed on engine guards and fork legs. They work great, but in my opinion would not look appropriate on my beautiful, retro-look R18.

I love my R18! But not all of it's touted technology is living up to the marketing hype.
I have not ridden the R18 at night yet and actually do not intend to either. Still, I generally find the latest LEDs to be way better than erstwhile incandescent cr4p - on cars and motorcycles, and even approaching HID levels of illumination in most cases now, IMHO, of course. Adaptive lighting does not even impress on the R1250RT and K1600 models with BMW's wide multi-headlight arrangement fitted on those. LED foglights provide a low and wide sideways sweep at night for at least 50 meters/yards ahead and perform the best 'adaptive' function while cornering on a motorcycle, for that same reason. But they need to be mounted lower, on the crash bars or fork-legs, to function appropriately. Some of the better foglights sold now will include several lenses, allowing spot, fog and hybrid (spot/fog) patterns, both white or amber, and obviously supporting even a combination of different lenses on either side of the bike, e.g. hybrid right and fog left.

Driving/passing lights only supplement the headlight. I have noticed that HerrFarber added crash bar-mounted LEDs on his Classic, despite its passing lights. I will fit Denali's DR1 2.0 TriOptic LEDs on my R18.

Last edited:
Back