Add TC auxiliary lights to R18 Bagger

I'm finishing up an upgrade project of a 98 Defender D90; I may re-attempt to go after that power cable for the Auxiliary Light Switch functionality today. I really don't want to remove the left side fairing panel and the speaker housing again, as I do remember finding those panels the most difficult to replace; especially the one coupling clip which kept falling down into the speaker cavity...

I'm also starting to think that I might have been triggering the MENU button vs the MODE button when I first attempted this project... I do like the idea of being able to turn the lights ON/OFF via the MODE button; I'll probably leave the existing switch in place and in the ON position, and let the LED indicator serve as the Auxiliary status indicator.

I'm finishing up an upgrade project of a 98 Defender D90; I may re-attempt to go after that power cable for the Auxiliary Light Switch functionality today. I really don't want to remove the left side fairing panel and the speaker housing again, as I do remember finding those panels the most difficult to replace; especially the one coupling clip which kept falling down into the speaker cavity...

I'm also starting to think that I might have been triggering the MENU button vs the MODE button when I first attempted this project... I do like the idea of being able to turn the lights ON/OFF via the MODE button; I'll probably leave the existing switch in place and in the ON position, and let the LED indicator serve as the Auxiliary status indicator.
Yes I am tossing up the idea of biting the bullet and paying the $300 to get the switch, because I have a feeling the SA will say it can't be programmed from the responses others are getting on doing this upgrade.

OK - So I took the front fairing apart in order to implement the use of the MODE Switch in order to activate my AUXILIARY Lights; I'm looking at the following wiring pair:

Brown = Ground
RED/BLUE Trace = 12V NOTE: I get 12V DC for approximately 2 seconds when I first turn the bike ON, as well as when I start the bike; however, I don't get any functionality from the MODE Switch. Any thoughts? Is the RED/Blue Trace wire the correct pair?

Oh BTW - I found that after the BMW shop installed my Adaptive Headlight; I was missing two (A2) screws and a retaining Clip. This is why I prefer to do my own work whenever possible...

Screenshot_20231217-131247.pngScreenshot_20231217-131320.png

Last edited:
OK - So I took the front fairing apart in order to implement the use of the MODE Switch in order to activate my AUXILIARY Lights; I'm looking at the following wiring pair:

Brown = Ground
RED/BLUE Trace = 12V NOTE: I get 12V DC for approximately 2 seconds when I first turn the bike ON, as well as when I start the bike; however, I don't get any functionality from the MODE Switch. Any thoughts? Is the RED/Blue Trace wire the correct pair?

Oh BTW - I found that after the BMW shop installed my Adaptive Headlight; I was missing two (A2) screws and a retaining Clip. This is why I prefer to do my own work whenever possible...

View attachment 12608View attachment 12609
UnderFaringIMG_3069.jpg

Look towards the bottom left of the headlight, plugged into the item circled in RED

View attachment 12610

Look towards the bottom left of the headlight, plugged into the item circled in RED
I'm almost positive I have the correct wired pair; I had cut the connector off as it mated up with the wire harness that I used for the Aux/Directional lights..

I noted that my software version is the following; perhaps that has something to do with my switch not being enabled: 013_012_050

I'm almost positive I have the correct wired pair; I had cut the connector off as it mated up with the wire harness that I used for the Aux/Directional lights..

I noted that my software version is the following; perhaps that has something to do with my switch not being enabled: 013_012_050
The wires in your pic look to be the same colors as the ones I used, so is there a connector plugged to just a cap at the bottom left of the headlight?

If @Scott Semone was unsuccessful in finding the connection for the Aux lights it makes me wonder how accurate are these instructions? I followed Scott Semone's instructions when I was actually doing my install.... Maybe different options or year?? I know others have stated the wire was under the tank, in my case it was not. The cable was just capped off to the bottom left of the headlight.

If @Scott Semone was unsuccessful in finding the connection for the Aux lights it makes me wonder how accurate are these instructions? I followed Scott Semone's instructions when I was actually doing my install.... Maybe different options or year?? I know others have stated the wire was under the tank, in my case it was not. The cable was just capped off to the bottom left of the headlight.
The wires were originally capped off as a pre wired solution; today I only see 12 V for 2, maybe 3 seconds upon turning the bike ON and right after starting the bike; but no luck with the switch functionality...

This was the same thing I experienced back when I first attempted this in 2022; I was starting to second guess my instincts in solving these things... I'm convinced that my bike is lacking something that other bikes have??? Maybe an option is enabled via software..?

I put the bike back together and still happy with my original solution; however, having the ability to use the MODE switch was appealing... At the very least, I was able to spend some father-son time today wrenching on the bike...

The wires were originally capped off as a pre wired solution; today I only see 12 V for 2, maybe 3 seconds upon turning the bike ON and right after starting the bike; but no luck with the switch functionality...
Makes me think you had the right wires, because I do remember the lights coming on a few times for a few seconds when I first hit the power button.

Back