Almost a new Owner of R18 C !!

Hello All, I m Rhonda!
I have been involved with motorcycles since I wanted a pony at age 8 and got a mini bike instead! I have used them for pleasure and made a business out of them too! Some of you might remeber me, I used to have a premier body Shop in Richmond, VA and specialized in BMW restorations, customizing and repairing of all types of new and very old motorcycles! Since I have moved onto ownership of a Paint and supply store for Automotive Industry. I still paint for fun, I have silly collection of bikes, and now I pulled the trigger on the new R18 C without riding it! My first ride will be this Friday as I fly into St, Louis, Gateway BMW and RIDE IT home to West Virginia! 9 hours. Has anyone ridden one straight 600 miles? I am curious if it's ready, or me ready! I am excited to have this motorcycle and it will not remain Stock! however, it stands tall the way it is, but I cannot leave anything alone!
Thanks for the INVITE!
Rhonda

My first ride was 1000km in the rain. I was happy to get off the bike at the end of the day but had a fun day none the less. I am personally fine with the seat and have had no need to upgrade it at the moment. Not the best but not the worst either in my opinion.

I find the vibrations in the handgrips get through pretty quick. Be aware of 'Vibration White Finger' syndrome. Maybe I need to change my gloves.
Enjoy the ride. Sounds pretty good.

You clearly know more about motorcycles than I do. That being said, I agree with most about the less than stellar stock seat. Also the preload on the suspension was set all wrong when I took possession. Once I sortedthose two things I could spend hours on the thing. With stops of course. Happy trails.

My first ride was 1000km in the rain. I was happy to get off the bike at the end of the day but had a fun day none the less. I am personally fine with the seat and have had no need to upgrade it at the moment. Not the best but not the worst either in my opinion.
Wow now I know it can be done the distance! I think I will be enjoying a rain storm as well but beats the snow flurries! THX
Rhonda

Congratulations on your new ride. Setting the preload is critical as Urgefree has said, the air hawk should help tremendously. If your are going to have heated gear with you I hope you know what you need for connections. Another suggestion is to check the position of the shift lever before you leave the dealer it can be quite uncomfortable with the riding position if it isn’t adjusted properly for your boot and foot.

Hello All, I m Rhonda!
I have been involved with motorcycles since I wanted a pony at age 8 and got a mini bike instead! I have used them for pleasure and made a business out of them too! Some of you might remeber me, I used to have a premier body Shop in Richmond, VA and specialized in BMW restorations, customizing and repairing of all types of new and very old motorcycles! Since I have moved onto ownership of a Paint and supply store for Automotive Industry. I still paint for fun, I have silly collection of bikes, and now I pulled the trigger on the new R18 C without riding it! My first ride will be this Friday as I fly into St, Louis, Gateway BMW and RIDE IT home to West Virginia! 9 hours. Has anyone ridden one straight 600 miles? I am curious if it's ready, or me ready! I am excited to have this motorcycle and it will not remain Stock! however, it stands tall the way it is, but I cannot leave anything alone!
Thanks for the INVITE!
Rhonda
I picked up my R18 from Gateway NMW one year ago, I too flew there that morning and rode it 256 miles home that afternoon.
Had gotten out if the hospital 2 weeks earlier, heart attack and kidney failure, had a Dialysis catheter hanging out of my neck like human jumper cables and a urinary catheter strapped to my left leg. Should be a piece of cake for you.
Where in West Virginia? 600 mile ride home, sounds like Charleston area wave as you ride I-64 through the Hoosier National Forest, mile marker 72 to 79, I am on the South side.. Last job I had was in Ravenswood, need I say more. Stayed in Ripley, ex-wife from Ripley maiden name Rambo.
Say hello to Han for me, I am the guy they picked up at the airport and rode out with the red USMC cane strapped to the handlebars.

Complete.JPG

Note the cain is still on the handlebars. Just in case. And the license plate says it all. IVQII

Complete2.JPG

Oct 15, 2020

R18 with cane..jpeg

Last edited:
I picked up my R18 from Gateway NMW one year ago, I too flew there that morning and rode it 256 miles home that afternoon.
Had gotten out if the hospital 2 weeks earlier, heart attack and kidney failure, had a Dialysis catheter hanging out of my neck like human jumper cables and a urinary catheter strapped to my left leg. Should be a piece of cake for you.
Where in West Virginia? Last job I had was in Ravenswood, need I say more. Stayed in Ripley, ex-wife from Ripley maiden name Rambo.
SayView attachment 3190 hello to Han for me, I am the guy they picked up at the airport and rode out with the red USMC cane strapped to the handlebars.
I get the impression they might remember you cane or no cane. :)

Congratulations on your new ride. Setting the preload is critical as Urgefree has said, the air hawk should help tremendously. If your are going to have heated gear with you I hope you know what you need for connections. Another suggestion is to check the position of the shift lever before you leave the dealer it can be quite uncomfortable with the riding position if it isn’t adjusted properly for your boot and foot.
thanks for the mention, I hear wrong preload adjustment is a common issue. Gateway said they could set it up for me! I think they are afraid to ask me my weight LOL Can someone tell me what the gas range is on this beast? i tend to run 80 mph. I was one of the first people to buy a 1998 R1200 C and I ran out of gas at 11;30 at night on I 64 had several of state police scoot right on by me until I pushed the beast 2 miles to a military base where the guard let me make a call. Point being, the low fuel light was covered on my trip home by a bag on the front bar. Lesson learned.. So I am disappointed it has no gauges?? other than a light? What is my range when the light comes on? thanks for any help on this matter.
RH

I generally get around 200km (maybe a bit extra) before the light comes on on the highway. I just set a trip meter every time I fill up and have a pretty good idea when to stop for a refuel.

thanks for the mention, I hear wrong preload adjustment is a common issue. Gateway said they could set it up for me! I think they are afraid to ask me my weight LOL Can someone tell me what the gas range is on this beast? i tend to run 80 mph. I was one of the first people to buy a 1998 R1200 C and I ran out of gas at 11;30 at night on I 64 had several of state police scoot right on by me until I pushed the beast 2 miles to a military base where the guard let me make a call. Point being, the low fuel light was covered on my trip home by a bag on the front bar. Lesson learned.. So I am disappointed it has no gauges?? other than a light? What is my range when the light comes on? thanks for any help on this matter.
RH
I don’t know if you know yet but strangely it will show how many miles you’ve driven after the refill warning goes on.

Hello All, I m Rhonda!
Thanks for the INVITE!
Rhonda
I've done a 964 mile round trip ride on my R 18 Classic. Get 135 miles till reserve gas pump shows, and am happy to stop to refill gas tank and stretch my legs and give my butt a short break. Great ride by the way.

Consistantly, 120 miles between fillups no problem, keeps the fuel light off, 150+ miles and you are pushing it, 160 miles and you will need to have a separate supply on board.
Running I-64, St Louis to Mt Vernon, IL, then IN mile 25 N Hwy 41, then Corydon, IN....
Rode the R18 from Gateway BMW, I-64 to KTEL on Hwy 37, 256 mies, nerver got off the bike.
When I bought the K1600B rode it from Engle motors in KC to KTEL 523 miles never got off the bike, refueled and rode on.121675692_1762782763888743_8418110578625510842_o.jpg

Last edited:
Consistantly, 120 miles between fillups no problem, keeps the fuel light off, 150+ miles and you are pushing it, 160 miles and you will need to have a separate supply on board.
Running I-64, St Louis to Mt Vernon, IL, then IN mile 25 N Hwy 41, then Corydon, IN....
Rode from Gateway BMW to KTEL 256 mies, nerver got off the bike.
thanks! I'm getting excited... I will decide to go back home to WV on weather for Friday and Saturday weather patterns. North route or southern 64 RT. Why did you go to St Louis to buy? I did just to make a ride out of it.. I woulda gone to AZ to buy if I had decided to buy in the summer HA!

Back