Anger on Facebook over Accessories

Totally agree with the last paragraph. They sold the idea of “highly customizable“ and is not, because there aren’t accessories. Customization is not “build by yourself”

I beg the differ, customization is by definition building one of a kind "custom" parts.
Swapping one mass produced part for another mass produced part is not customization, it is adding store bought doo-dads.
How is it custom if 10,000 others are wearing the same part?
The bike is very easily "Customizable"

Last edited:
TOMCENTRAL, That sure is a beautiful Indian, and a enjoyable post to read. Thanks for sharing. I have a 2016 Indian Chief Vintage and I agree it is a great bike and no issues with it.D4CAE9C0-A433-49D4-8540-314A284A16FF.jpeg

TOMCENTRAL, That sure is a beautiful Indian, and a enjoyable post to read. Thanks for sharing. I have a 2016 Indian Chief Vintage and I agree it is a great bike and no issues with it.View attachment 2470
RED it is!

Very very nice!Love those Bags they look better than the oem Vintage ones.Thanks for sharing & glad you appreciate the finer things in life:)

Regards,Tom

Attachments

• 48332-1524075419-369dfca9a267f49c85a4693d9183b340-2.jpg
    48332-1524075419-369dfca9a267f49c85a4693d9183b340-2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: R2K

I beg the differ, customization is by definition building one of a kind "custom" parts.
Swapping one mass produced part for another mass produced part is not customization, it is adding store bought doo-dads.
How is it custom if 10,000 others are wearing the same part?
The bike is very easily "Customizable"
From Merriam-Webster’s, customize: “To build, fit, or alter according to individual specifications.”

I think these days when you alter any motorcycle from its OEM configuration it is fair to use the transitive verb “customize” to describe what you just did by altering it. There is a difference in making custom parts and customizing. All said I most certainly appreciate the skills and the artistic results of one who can do both!!

From Merriam-Webster’s, customize: “To build, fit, or alter according to individual specifications.”

I think these days when you alter any motorcycle from its OEM configuration it is fair to use the transitive verb “customize” to describe what you just did by altering it. There is a difference in making custom parts and customizing. All said I most certainly appreciate the skills and the artistic results of one who can do both!!
One requires skills the other simply Amazon, totally different "skill" set.

Got notice from A&S Cycle that my BMW protection bars are in the mail. Happy to know a shipping label is printed with a Sept 7 arrival. Guess we're all suffering from a clash of supply chain and patience.
Received the engine guard, but the part doesn't come with any bolts. Will need to source those separately. Sharing for others as a heads up.

Received the engine guard, but the part doesn't come with any bolts. Will need to source those separately. Sharing for others as a heads up.
Even in the installation instructions it appears the bolts are included in the delivery specifications they are displayed in the illistration.
77E80A34-935E-42C5-A825-338329E235E0.png

Could be I was shorted the parts as you mentioned.
My set of Engine protection bars were delivered today and they also did not have the bolts included with them. If you get the bolts please get to sets and I will pay for both and shipping to me. Be glad to do that by saving me the time to get them and I am about a week away from getting the time to install.

I'd suggest adding mass produced parts would be more accurately described as accessorizing rather than customizing. But, I can understand everyone's frustrations on the delays in production for the factory accessories.

The accessories offered by BMW for the R18 has more variety than any of their other models. Add in supply chain issues and it is not surprising that many are upset that the accessories they want to add to their R18 aren't available. In some cases, like the R18 Classic, they didn't ship with floorboards as originally specified, but regular pegs as they couldn't get enough for original production.

I've been watching with keen interest since the original videos highlighting the R18 concept, as I've had multiple BMWs over the years and currently own 3. I'm likely buying the R18 in the spring, but test road a couple of others last weekend from Indian and Triumph. Both dealers shared they've had difficulty getting bikes due to supply chain issues. For Indian, many of their suppliers were small businesses that went under early in the pandemic. Indian has had to find alternate suppliers to replace them and then validate QC and ramp up production. Ford has vehicles that are mostly built waiting on chips to finish assembly. Every manufacturer has been struggling with the impact of the pandemic on their supply chains both for original production and factory accessories.

BMW is likely getting a harsher criticism as it is a new bike and everyone wants the factory accessories and they launched right at the start of the pandemic.

1. Ive slid a Beemer 100 feet down a freeway on its cylinder head. the new valve cover was cheaper than an engine guard :).
2. Its BMW... they will be slow or non-existent to deliver customization parts... guys are still waiting for R9T cafe parts :)
3. I'm lucky, I love it just the way it is out of the box and by the time my butt gets too sore or I get tired of it parts will be available

Now, everyones cup of tea is everyones cup of tea... but I wouldnt worry about engine protection. Ive ridden GSs off road and banged on them and the aforementioned rockster crash the literally wore all the way through a cylinder head cover (really) the engine was fine and the cover cheaper than the guard. Im not saying its a bad purchase; just saying not to worry.

1. Ive slid a Beemer 100 feet down a freeway on its cylinder head. the new valve cover was cheaper than an engine guard :).
2. Its BMW... they will be slow or non-existent to deliver customization parts... guys are still waiting for R9T cafe parts :)
3. I'm lucky, I love it just the way it is out of the box and by the time my butt gets too sore or I get tired of it parts will be available

Now, everyones cup of tea is everyones cup of tea... but I wouldnt worry about engine protection. Ive ridden GSs off road and banged on them and the aforementioned rockster crash the literally wore all the way through a cylinder head cover (really) the engine was fine and the cover cheaper than the guard. Im not saying its a bad purchase; just saying not to worry.
I think your critique is coming from a good place: Your experiences and wanting to ameliorate any worry anyone may have about damage should he/she put their bike down. But not all engine protection bar purchases are made to protect the engine. No, sometimes engine protection bars are purchased entirely for how they look. I'd be in that category.

Back