Another Navigation Question

Pulling my hair out here, or what is left of it. I cannot get my iPhone to consistently recognize and then link to the wifi which the bike puts out to facilitate the map, etc. to the screen. It is always hit or miss, mostly miss, very frustrating.

Here is what I have been doing..
1 - turn on the bike power and mount the phone
2 - make sure that the phone is connected to the bike via bluetooth
3 - In phone wifi, look for the bike's wifi, which I never find
4 - Kick off the connection app on the iphone which will sometimes say it is starting map mode
5 - hope for the best, sometimes I will get a message asking to join the bike's wifi, once that connection is made, I am good until I shut off the bike (then it is back to square 1)

Are there configuration settings someplace that I am missing? On the bike or on the iPhone (iPhone 13)

Any suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated.

Joel

I typically start my music first (Prime or YouTube), then I start the BMW Connect app and allow them both to run in the background (Android setup); store my phone in the compartment, then I power ON the bike and then start it.

Everything comes together...

I typically start my music first (Prime or YouTube), then I start the BMW Connect app and allow them both to run in the background (Android setup); store my phone in the compartment, then I power ON the bike and then start it.

Everything comes together...
Hi Scott, Thanks, I'll try it!!

Good morning from Germany.

There is a manual directly from BMW that is not published.

Basically you should reset the Connected App on the phone once. Then the loaded maps are lost, but you can load them again.

Then you turn on your bike, start your Connected App and wait for the blue connection bar to appear on the app.

If it takes too long, then press the menu item to cancel and press it again.

Then your iPhone will ask if you want to connect to the Wi-Fi. Important! Remember the displayed WLAN name, usually it starts like this: 2W-Wifi-64:05:e4....

Say yes and the map will be displayed. To display the connection reliably, you have to go to the WLAN settings of your iPhone.

Turn off your motorcycle. Go to the settings of your iPhone, menu item "WLAN", press top left on "Edit".

Here you can see all WLAN addresses your iPhone knows. Search for the address you remembered.

Press the "i" info circle on the right. Switch the item "Private WLAN address" to OFF.

Turn on your bike, connect the app as you know it. From now on, if your motorcycle loses the Wi-Fi connection, the connection will be reliably restored.

The problem is the security settings of Apple, here the iPhone changes the IP address again and again with the setting "Private WLAN address". The TFT display then does not understand this, as it searches for the address, which it knows the first time it connects.

Good morning from Germany.

There is a manual directly from BMW that is not published.

Basically you should reset the Connected App on the phone once. Then the loaded maps are lost, but you can load them again.

Then you turn on your bike, start your Connected App and wait for the blue connection bar to appear on the app.

If it takes too long, then press the menu item to cancel and press it again.

Then your iPhone will ask if you want to connect to the Wi-Fi. Important! Remember the displayed WLAN name, usually it starts like this: 2W-Wifi-64:05:e4....

Say yes and the map will be displayed. To display the connection reliably, you have to go to the WLAN settings of your iPhone.

Turn off your motorcycle. Go to the settings of your iPhone, menu item "WLAN", press top left on "Edit".

Here you can see all WLAN addresses your iPhone knows. Search for the address you remembered.

Press the "i" info circle on the right. Switch the item "Private WLAN address" to OFF.

Turn on your bike, connect the app as you know it. From now on, if your motorcycle loses the Wi-Fi connection, the connection will be reliably restored.

The problem is the security settings of Apple, here the iPhone changes the IP address again and again with the setting "Private WLAN address". The TFT display then does not understand this, as it searches for the address, which it knows the first time it connects.
Hi, Thanks for this insight. I was poking around that wifi list and eliminated all the old networks which I have picked up over time. I was looking at those settings and was wondering how they may impact the process. I've just shut off the Private Address setting and will head out to the garage to test it. Can you supply the other iPhone parameters as you have them set? Thx, Joel

If I wanted to just avoid the frustrations of the nav function and go with a portable unit, which one would you recommend, what cradle / mounting options would I need, and where would you plug it into the bike for power? Thanks!

Why not a high quality cell phone holder attached to the handled bars, using Google Maps or WAZE, etc with it plugged into a USB cable powered from the dash 12V outlet?
Because I'm using my phone in the bike's cradle for music. I've got 10,000 songs saved on my phone. ;-) That way I don't have to toggle back and forth on the TFT between navigation and "media" to change songs.

I was thinking you could run your Music app, a Navigation app and the Connect app simultaneously; where you disable the Connect app from owning the screen, which will allow your Navigation screen to be viewed while riding from the handlebar mount. The below screen capture is in the settings of the Connect app. Might be worth a try.Screenshot_20230319-115437.png

I was thinking you could run your Music app, a Navigation app and the Connect app simultaneously; where you disable the Connect app from owning the screen, which will allow your Navigation screen to be viewed while riding from the handlebar mount. The below screen capture is in the settings of the Connect app. Might be worth a try.View attachment 9375

These are the settings in Android. This has nothing to do with AppleOS. These settings do not exist there.

And anyway, cell phone holder on the Bagger? What does that look like, please? What is the huge display for?

These are the settings in Android. This has nothing to do with AppleOS. These settings do not exist there.

And anyway, cell phone holder on the Bagger? What does that look like, please? What is the huge display for?
Jim was looking to use an alternative Navigation system vs the BMW Connect Navigation, but still wants to use the BMW Connect Media connection to play his music.

Hi Alex, My bike has software version 013_012_050. Is that the most current?
I think there may be one newer now however your current version starts with 013 so you shouldn’t be having the issues others were. Hopefully you get it resolved following the method above.

Jim was looking to use an alternative Navigation system vs the BMW Connect Navigation, but still wants to use the BMW Connect Media connection to play his music.
I connect my phone to the cradle so I can listen to the songs I have stored on my phone, in the "media" function. Then I switch over to nav, and the music keeps playing, of course, but if I want to change songs, I have to toggle it back over to the Media function to do that. I can change the volume of the music while still on the nav screen, but I can't skip over to the next song while it's on nav... Rather than having to keep toggling back and forth, I'd rather just get a Nav VI and a cradle and plug it into the power port, so nav will be independent. Plus then I can have a screen that actually shows a map, rather than just turn-by-turn instructions. I know some folks use a different brand other than Nav VI from BMW. I'm looking for a recommendation for a different (cheaper) model, and what cradle / handlebar mount I would need to make it work.

I connect my phone to the cradle so I can listen to the songs I have stored on my phone, in the "media" function. Then I switch over to nav, and the music keeps playing, of course, but if I want to change songs, I have to toggle it back over to the Media function to do that. I can change the volume of the music while still on the nav screen, but I can't skip over to the next song while it's on nav... Rather than having to keep toggling back and forth, I'd rather just get a Nav VI and a cradle and plug it into the power port, so nav will be independent. Plus then I can have a screen that actually shows a map, rather than just turn-by-turn instructions. I know some folks use a different brand other than Nav VI from BMW. I'm looking for a recommendation for a different (cheaper) model, and what cradle / handlebar mount I would need to make it work.
I sometimes split the TFT screen between the Media and Navigation function, so that I can advance or skips songs while maintaining the map function. My experience with the TFT Navigation hasn't or at least doesn't appear to be as bad as others on the forum; I guess in comparison to my previous bike, this platform is light years ahead of my 2008 GS Adventure.

Back