Any aftermarket Cruise control available for 2021 R18 FE

Since, i am told that BMW cant install cruise control on a R18 FE after its already purchased, i am looking for any solutions to install a cruise control for my R18 FE.

You can retrofit the cruise control IF it was a later production Base R18 FE. The very earliest Base FE units didn’t have the same main control unit that the Classics had where CC was intended as an option. It requires the different switch gear and a flash/module add on. Some of the later production Base R18s with the First Edition package can support it. The very first ones had a simpler main harness & control unit that can’t support the update. Essentially if the bike was built after cruise control became an option for the Base R18, it can be added. It’s not as cheap as if it was done from factory, so expect to spend at least 6-$700 plus labor.

The other cheaper option would be a throttle lock. I have a Kaoka throttle lock for my GS, it was <$50. Good for allowing your throttle wrist some rest when stuck on highways. But, it’s not going to maintain a speed, but rather a throttle position. Going up or down hills will result in a speed change.

My R18 Classic FE came with the cruise control. It’s the same as on most BMWs. I have the same setup on my S1000R, it will hold the speed you set and adjust throttle as needed to maintain the speed. The R18B & TC have the adaptive cruise control option, which isn’t retrofittable to the “cruiser” models of the R18 line. So you’re limited to either a throttle lock, possibly the OEM CC, but no option for adaptive CC.

apologies for the late response but, thanks for the detailed clarification. now i can comfortably say, i am not installing the factory CC due to the high labor cost involved. i would be looking for a after market throttle position holder device that's a favorite of the R18 guys.

ATLAS lock! Outstanding bit of kit for this purpose. I love mine on my R18P. Read up on them and if you like … I happen to have a brand new spare in the box if you’re interested.

Back