Any R18 Exhaust Flapper Valve issues?

This will be my 1st delete after 36,000 miles.LOL!

Regards,Tom

I would like to as well. Make a video for us all.
This would be a post warranty mod.Also,the aftermarket will have plugs for the servo cables as to not trip codes.They have them for other BMWs so I'm sure they will be in the works.
Gday,&
Regards,Tom

Well there ya go,Gr8adv!
Thx,"David" & GP.

Regards,Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a post warranty mod.Also,the aftermarket will have plugs for the servo cables as to not trip codes.They have them for other BMWs so I'm sure they will be in the works.
Gday,&
Regards,Tom
Didn't you do the oil cooler coverup/protection? Maybe I was thinking about someone else. If you ever have an engine issue you should pull that off before going to the dealer. Restricting the airflow to the cooler is an an easy warrantee killer.

Last edited:
Didn't you do the oil cooler coverup/protection? Maybe I was thinking about someone else. If you ever have an engine issue you should pull that off before going to the dealer. Restricting the airflow to the cooler is an an easy warrantee killer.
No,I did not cover the oil cooler, to each his own though.
I did ask the service manager about mods & or changing anything on the R18.He said he would not have a issue with mods as long as the mod did not directly cause the issue or problem.He is pretty cool & realizes that some folks personalize their bikes.Funny,I tripped a code when I disconnected the battery installing the Corbin heated seat & adding a battery tender plug.He reset the code & did not charge me.He said I will see a service code that will automatically come on at 6,000 miles. He would ask for a small fee to reset it because the mechanics get paid for what they actually do on each job.I will probably have them check the valve clearance then but,I will do my own fluid changes.
INTERESTING point he made is that the computer can store codes that only BMW can see & some he can't see or erase.
Lastly,I am not gonna do anything to the cats or flapper during the warranty.Probably won't unless the flap freezes up.Also,the new catalytic converters flow well & really arent much of a issue.I live in Arizona, I take the lowers off my Indian during summer(NO CAT,Rinehart slimline full system) because of V-twin engine heat .It does not ping & runs great but the heat is crazy coming off the engine.My R18 runs much cooler.I mean a bunch much cooler.
Fantastic machine.Really love it.

Regards,Tom

This is funny. Flaps are sprung to stay open by default on both of my BMW.

No way can you oil or lubricate an exhaust part.

2012 R1200R no fault..... 75,000 miles.
He is a whiner.
Thx David,
Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,Tom

So, what exactly is the supposed issue with the R18 exhaust flapper valve?
As the guy in the video so clearly said:
" Gents and Ladymen, I come before you to sit behind you to tell you something I know Nothing about?"
Do we now need to travel to Scotland for clarification?
Look what I found on youtube

Last edited:
I can see both sides of this discussion.Since the R18 has a 3 year warranty,I will leave well enough alone and wait till there are more options.Rather than doing R&D like I did with HD for years & Indian the last few.
My Vietnam buddy Dave closed down his shop when he retired(Thunder Mfg).We used my bike & I helped design a A/C,floorboards,rack to install a tour pack for the Indian Motorcycles.Dave had 2 CNC machines and had a great business.His son kept one of the machines and I was tempted ask him about doing something with the R18.Thought about it for a minute,LOL!:unsure:After joining this forum I remembered all the hassles when I was involved with that dirty 4 letter word:WORKo_O
Anyway,I had the first tour pack installed on my 2014 Chieftain.It was a Black Harley Davidson base & looked really good.Had a corbin Armrest made with the Indian feather w/Corbin stiched in & a Corbin dual heated seat.I rode it to Sturgis that year. Mike Corbin saw it.Everyone thought and ask how I got a Roadmaster when they where just revealing them at the Rallry.Guys were pissed when the Roadmaster showed up and found it way to expensive to buy the parts so the traders, traded.
Like here w/BMW we have the base.Now they offer a B & T. Lastly, there was no way to tune the first Indians,like here.
I'm done :cool:
The mechanics & researchers here can find all the connections & mods. I'll relax and stay out of the personal attitudes.

Regards,Tom

I can see both sides of this discussion.Since the R18 has a 3 year warranty,I will leave well enough alone and wait till there are more options.Rather than doing R&D like I did with HD for years & Indian the last few.
My Vietnam buddy Dave closed down his shop when he retired(Thunder Mfg).We used my bike & I helped design a A/C,floorboards,rack to install a tour pack for the Indian Motorcycles.Dave had 2 CNC machines and had a great business.His son kept one of the machines and I was tempted ask him about doing something with the R18.Thought about it for a minute,LOL!:unsure:After joining this forum I remembered all the hassles when I was involved with that dirty 4 letter word:WORKo_O
Anyway,I had the first tour pack installed on my 2014 Chieftain.It was a Black Harley Davidson base & looked really good.Had a corbin Armrest made with the Indian feather w/Corbin stiched in & a Corbin dual heated seat.I rode it to Sturgis that year. Mike Corbin saw it.Everyone thought and ask how I got a Roadmaster when they where just revealing them at the Rallry.Guys were pissed when the Roadmaster showed up and found it way to expensive to buy the parts so the traders, traded.
Like here w/BMW we have the base.Now they offer a B & T. Lastly, there was no way to tune the first Indians,like here.
The mechanics & researchers here can find all the connections & mods. I'll relax and stay out of the personal attitudes.

Regards,Tom
I actually put a Hypercharger, made by Thunder mfg, intake on my FXR in 1994 bought it from the Harley dealer in Dover, OH, are you claiming to be affiliated with that Thunder mfg?
By the way, is still in business.
Are you Ben from Dover?
Google Waynes Choppers on Southwest Boulevard, 2 blocks from Town Topic.

Last edited:

Regards,Tom
I did a lot of business with those guys in the earliest days of VROC. Great bunch, great products!

Back