Any USB on a handlebar solution?

I use the side pouch and run a DIN-USB adapter from left side with a USB cable to the pouch and put my phone there to charge. I have the Beeline Moto on the handlebar showing nav from the phone.

Wunderlich carries a nice looking thin USB port for the handle bars. Has anyone wired in a USB port yet? (So like the Germans to engineer a great bike loaded with tech yet leave so some simple out!)

As an aside, the lead tech at my dealer thought perhaps there was a connector to plug into under my tank but alas, not on my early bike. I wonder if there is something on later builds or he was thinking about a different model.

Wunderlich carries a nice looking thin USB port for the handle bars. Has anyone wired in a USB port yet? (So like the Germans to engineer a great bike loaded with tech yet leave so some simple out!)

As an aside, the lead tech at my dealer thought perhaps there was a connector to plug into under my tank but alas, not on my early bike. I wonder if there is something on later builds or he was thinking about a different model.
I use the BMW Frame bag on my R18 Classic. On the Powerlet port on the left side of the bike, I use a Powerlet to USB adaptor & then run a USB cable over to the frame bag to charge my phone in the bag. Nice and simple and easy wiring with the USB cable running just in front of the seat. Simple to swap over to my heated gear plug in winter.

For GPS on the handlebars, I use a Beeline Moto which connects to my phone via Bluetooth and shows the directions on its display. That device runs for >24 hours on battery, so no need to run USB up to handlebars. Additionally it looks good and doesn’t take up much space. Because I’m not using the screen for GPS on my phone due to the Beelone, the battery lasts much longer, so the USB charging isn’t as critical & if I’m feeling a bit lazy, my phone just stays in my pocket.

You could easily run the Powerlet->USB adaptor and wire USB cable up to handlebars if you needed to. But I’d strongly encourage considering the Beeline instead. It fits the look of the bike more, battery lasts forever and because it doesn’t use the screen of your phone, your phone battery lasts longer too.

Not a bad solution but I don’t wish to plug into that socket and run a wire from there. Plus, I don’t really want to buy another piece of gear to replace something I already have. So before I get to be the guinea pig I figured I’d reach out to the forum to see if anyone had done this Paul posted. Thanks.

Back