Anyone have access to wiring schematics?

I'm going to take a DMM to the connector that supplies the tail light harness and see if there is a dedicated brake wire. It's behind the left side panel. From what I have learned so far the tail light seems to be pulse width modulated at about 30% duty cycle & switches to 100% duty cycle when the brake is applied. With a DMM you read 4VDC for tail light and 12VDC for brake light. I guess this is becoming more common on the new bikes. A custom tail light vendor informed me that some the other bikes have a dedicated brake light wire that is not connected to anything that might just what we are looking for. I plan on looking into this tomorrow and will post what I find out.

I'm thinking of using the license plate LED wire as the switched hot. I'll be all over it today. So far I've disassembled the license plate mount and it's LED. It was surprising to find it to be such a complicated design, using way more plastic parts than should be needed to do such a simple job.

I'm thinking of using the license plate LED wire as the switched hot. I'll be all over it today. So far I've disassembled the license plate mount and it's LED. It was surprising to find it to be such a complicated design, using way more plastic parts than should be needed to do such a simple job.
I tried using the License plate light as a trigger for my Skene tail/turn and it through a bulb fault, so be warned. If possible you should test it first before permanent install if possible.

The R18 rear lights go to a 6-pin connector under the LH side cover. And right off the bat, the color codes are not the same on both side of the male/female connector. The wires coming from the back of the bike lead to the male connector, so the female connector leads to the bike's main system. Each contact is numbered 1 thru 6 at the outboard ends of the connector bodies.
FEMALE to MALE
1- brown to brown GROUND SPLITS into 3 wires for license & each signal/brake
2- blue/green to blue/green RH Signal/Brake 12+ with signal OR brake use
3- blue/red to black/white LH Signal/Brake 12+ with signal OR brake use
4- blue/brown to blue/brown Lic. Plate Lamp SWITCHED 12+ switched 12+ (ignition ON)
5- gray/red to gray/red SPLITS into 2 wires, to each signal/brake TESTS SHOW NO IMPEDANCE CHANGE OR VOLTAGE with/without ignition or brake use, but slight impedance variation with turn signal use
6- gray/yellow to yellow SPLITS into 2 wires, to each signal/brake TESTS SHOW NO IMPEDANCE CHANGE OR VOLTAGE with/without ignition or brake use, but slight impedance variation with turn signal use

The web page changes the layout of the above test, so I've attached a .jpg to show it as I typed it.
20210307_171331.jpg

UPDATED @ 1720

Last edited:
Will the PDM 60 cope with..... :
2- blue/green to blue/green RH Signal/Brake 12+ with signal OR brake use ????

You may need to pick up the brake signal from the front/rear brake switches rather than from the light circuitry in order to feed your addition brake light

#4 blue/brown wire is a switched 12-VDC that powers the license plate LED and I have found that it's inadequate for powering an auxiliary tail light. So I've connected to the OEM supplied auxiliary switched power in the 3-pin connector (which only has two wires going to it). Now the new tail light is happy with power from the red/yellow wire.

You may need to pick up the brake signal from the front/rear brake switches rather than from the light circuitry in order to feed your addition brake light
With the PDM 60 you pick up only a "signal voltage" from the appropriate CANBUS circuit. The PDM unit then supplies the power to the accessory, what ever that may be. the Canbus does not "see" the power drawn by the accessory itself. You have the input trigger signal and the putput port is adjustable to the power demand of the accessory.
Here it is installed on the K1600B.

Attachments

• IMG_0848 copy.jpg
    IMG_0848 copy.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39
That's exactly what I did for a running light supply.

The R18 rear lights go to a 6-pin connector under the LH side cover. And right off the bat, the color codes are not the same on both side of the male/female connector. The wires coming from the back of the bike lead to the male connector, so the female connector leads to the bike's main system. Each contact is numbered 1 thru 6 at the outboard ends of the connector bodies.
FEMALE to MALE
1- brown to brown GROUND SPLITS into 3 wires for license & each signal/brake
2- blue/green to blue/green RH Signal/Brake 12+ with signal OR brake use
3- blue/red to black/white LH Signal/Brake 12+ with signal OR brake use
4- blue/brown to blue/brown Lic. Plate Lamp SWITCHED 12+ switched 12+ (ignition ON)
5- gray/red to gray/red SPLITS into 2 wires, to each signal/brake TESTS SHOW NO IMPEDANCE CHANGE OR VOLTAGE with/without ignition or brake use, but slight impedance variation with turn signal use
6- gray/yellow to yellow SPLITS into 2 wires, to each signal/brake TESTS SHOW NO IMPEDANCE CHANGE OR VOLTAGE with/without ignition or brake use, but slight impedance variation with turn signal use

The web page changes the layout of the above test, so I've attached a .jpg to show it as I typed it.
View attachment 810

UPDATED @ 1720
I came up with the same results today. Thanks for posting it theMucker!

Back