Anyone made a long-distance trip on an R18

I am looking to do a 6000-mile trip from Mexico to Canada and back. Have concerns about doing it on this bike. I have replaced the seat with a mustang. A lot better than the stock. I added a windshield.

Have a plan for luggage. But not sure this bike is made for that kind of trip. Starting to think it is only a city bike. May go out and buy a Honda ST1300. Going out soon and doing a 500-mile day. That will more than tell me.

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience on this bike for long distances.

Cheers
William

I had a trip to Mt Saint Helen Washington from Casa Grande Az last summer during the Eurika Ca fire.Then down Hwy 1 in California.Visited some friends in different spots.3,000 miles round trip.
A year ago I rode from Casa Grande Az to Murry Ky to have my sidecar installed.About 3500 miles.
Get a Corbin Seat is my only advice.The small gas tank on the R18 is good because you'll be stopping more and gwt a well deserved rest.
Other wise it is fun as hell.
I also have the lower memphis shades installed and a LRS 18 inch curved windshield and a full face helmet.
Good travels to you,
TK

I already had an FJR1300 when I purchased my 2021 FE ( October 2021). A few months later I sold the Yamaha thinking that The Beemer would do the trick all by itself.
I got a Russell Day Long seat, BMW saddle bags, side bag and tankbag, and Wunderlich bar risers (25mm version).
I enjoy the ride a lot for 200 miles round trips to the ocean or up in the Foothills or The Sierra Mountains in the summer. Sadly, I have to admit that I can't see myself going to The Moab and back on this motorcycle.
I owe it to myself to give it a shot going to Death Valley but I seriously doubt it would be a positive experience in terms of comfort. I never installed a windshield to a moto that didn't come with one, and my 2021 didn't.
I have no plans of replacing it with a different style motorcycle as of right now, but I can't be sure of what the future holds in store for me at the age of almost 64.
Last year I bought a very low miles 2004 BMW 1150GS Adventure, same year and color like the one I had in 2009, because I had to play it safe.
I enjoy long road trips in the deserts of the Southwest and thought I could do it on my new R18. I was wrong but have no regrets. The 1150 will do the trick!

For most of my riding life I didn't mind the wind turbulence. Then age changed all that. Now I dont worry about it since the TC has remarkably good protection. Right now I would not go long distance on a bike without TC level protection.

For most of my riding life I didn't mind the wind turbulence. Then age changed all that. Now I dont worry about it since the TC has remarkably good protection. Right now I would not go long distance on a bike without TC level protection.

That's how I feel about the GSA. it's like a wind bubble. I can ride without a helmet or with my visor up and it's completely air free. it's kind of crazy.

I already had an FJR1300 when I purchased my 2021 FE ( October 2021). A few months later I sold the Yamaha thinking that The Beemer would do the trick all by itself.
I got a Russell Day Long seat, BMW saddle bags, side bag and tankbag, and Wunderlich bar risers (25mm version).
I enjoy the ride a lot for 200 miles round trips to the ocean or up in the Foothills or The Sierra Mountains in the summer. Sadly, I have to admit that I can't see myself going to The Moab and back on this motorcycle.
I owe it to myself to give it a shot going to Death Valley but I seriously doubt it would be a positive experience in terms of comfort. I never installed a windshield to a moto that didn't come with one, and my 2021 didn't.
I have no plans of replacing it with a different style motorcycle as of right now, but I can't be sure of what the future holds in store for me at the age of almost 64.
Last year I bought a very low miles 2004 BMW 1150GS Adventure, same year and color like the one I had in 2009, because I had to play it safe.
I enjoy long road trips in the deserts of the Southwest and thought I could do it on my new R18. I was wrong but have no regrets. The 1150 will do the trick!
The 1150GS is great everything bike. If off road was high on my list. I would be looking at that bike. I will be 60 next year and my list is all street. I want comfort. Like the FJR1300, That is a great bike. I am looking at a 2014 Honda ST1300 later this week. If it is what the guy says it is. I will buy it. Smaller and more agile than a gold wing. Very comfortable, can go long distance. Has a great storage system. Bulletproof engine. As an old man long distance on R18, I don’t see it. Not even with the Transcontinental. The R18 is from a different world. Then other BMW motorcycles. Also, mine changed after the 6000 mile service. The engine vibration coming through the handlebars and foot pegs. It's now horrible. Bike has been back to the dealership three times for it. They gave up and finally told me that that's the way they are. The R18 is a nice bling bling city bike.

While not on par with my dedicated "touring bikes" I posted comments elsewhere about a trip I made on my R18 Classic from NC to WA the end of last summer. My only modification was adding a "BMW Weekender/Mustang" seat. I mentioned at the time the few things that weren't optimum for long travel were addressed on the B and TC models with their larger gas tanks and extra travel rear suspension, etc. I used the smaller bags for water, snacks, cleaning supplies, spare gloves, rain gear, etc., and used my large waterproof duffle for all my clothing, shaving kit, etc., etc. My longest day was 600 miles, then a string of just over 500 miles and a final day just shy of 500 for approximately 3000+ miles. I enjoyed a good mix of Interstate and 2 lane highways and the bike was comfy and fun and I could have ridden farther each day if needed. Wind protection is subjective, but the OEM screen was fine and the only inconvenience was having to stop for fuel so often due to the small capacity over "longer" miles and being conservative with some areas having service stations far and few between.

To each their own as to vibration, but I found my R18 smoothed out considerably as the miles passed and while I can easily find some rough RPM ranges they are beyond easy to avoid by going up or down a gear and/or a few MPH +/-. I accept these big non-counterbalanced internals have a bunch of "character", but if mine were getting worse I would double check the valves were adjusted properly or maybe a lock nut wasn't snugged and the clearance has changed or similar. Honda STs are great as is the FJR, RT, et al so if one has a preference for a V4 , in line 4 or any of the other excellent twin configuration platforms they should waste no time in getting one and having fun, but I'd have to agree to disagree that one can't use any of the R18s for long miles as it has it's strengths and weaknesses like all other bikes have.

Age was mentioned and I'm still a youngster at 66 with many sizes and shapes of motorcycles having been enjoyed over almost 60 years of riding. So for me, age is probably not a factor as to why one bike is better or not for a personal "what is best for me to ride" assessment, it's more does it talk dirty to me and make me happy when I ride it than anything else.

Great to have choices 🍻

I just noticed this label affixed on the underside of the phone charging compartment lid this weekend, while looking into the possibility of converting my phone compartment to a wireless charging compartment....

Screenshot_20230228-084524.png

Last edited:
Back