Auxiliary forward lighting

Urgefree

Site Supporter
Elite Member
I’ve noticed that discussion about forward lighting has been interspersed in multiple threads. It would be helpful for me to get as much group knowledge as possible about headlight and auxiliary light options in one thread. R2Ks Clearwater lights are great, what else have people done? Is there a model of BMW that has similar harness hookups etc? Other easy(ish) ways to wire them. I find the headlight lacking. For whatever reason the level from the dealership was really low. I adjusted that which helps but… Still my electric bicycle has a better head light.

The Clearwater Glendina’s look promising. Small, universal and direct wiring to the existing headlight harness.

The Clearwater Glendina’s look promising. Small, universal and direct wiring to the existing headlight harness.

Agreed. Do most bmws have the same headlamp harness? R18 isn’t listed. I’ll likely have to get different clamps for the DK engine guard diameter I imagine.

Clearwater universal light crash bar mounting kits are wired directly to the battery and do not interfere with the canbus system. To order the proper kit you need to know which lights you want to use in my case I used Super Sevina with 1.25” Brackets. Link to install Manuel https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0970/7672/files/KESUniversal061920.pdf?v=1595435778

i got the yellow lenses, with the slip on covers. I put the clear lenses in the covers with the yellow lenses behind the clear. I ride with the yellow during the day and if I ride at night all I have to do is slip the covers off remove the yellow lenses and I have white light at night, all the time protecting my lights from damage or dirt and bugs. If you call them and order the lights they will usually give you the covers and lenses free.
A9AD1B91-1D3C-4EE6-88D8-E2B092EC9533.jpeg

DF56ED7D-8580-44C6-8D07-7CDC2DF69CB6.png8C9E695C-E266-48E8-84FD-6306F5354B9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Clearwater universal light crash bar mounting kits are wired directly to the battery and do not interfere with the canbus system. To order the proper kit you need to know which lights you want to use in my case I used Super Sevina with 1.25” Brackets. Link to install Manuel https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0970/7672/files/KESUniversal061920.pdf?v=1595435778

i got the yellow lenses, with the slip on covers. I put the clear lenses in the covers with the yellow lenses behind the clear. I ride with the yellow during the day and if I ride at night all I have to do is slip the covers off remove the yellow lenses and I have white light at night, all the time protecting my lights from damage or dirt and bugs. If you call them and order the lights they will usually give you the covers and lenses free.
View attachment 3180

View attachment 3179View attachment 3181
I like them how are they wired?

Where did you mount your dimmer switch? I spoke with Clearwater yesterday they are working on bike specific kits for R18 models, he said they were just working out switch locations etc. I was thinking of mounting mine on the left side panel under the seat so it’s not on the handlebar. Just curious where you mounted yours?

I picked up a couple driving lights that match the look of the headlight- black with a chrome ring. In theory I should be able to get the wiring harness used by the R18 classic and just use my own switch, right? I've never added lights to a canbus system and I'd rather not wire directly to the battery if I can avoid it.

I picked up a couple driving lights that match the look of the headlight- black with a chrome ring. In theory I should be able to get the wiring harness used by the R18 classic and just use my own switch, right? I've never added lights to a canbus system and I'd rather not wire directly to the battery if I can avoid it.
Good question…..if you can find the connectors in the wiring harness it may be possible but I doubt that you will. The switch on the classic is most likely included in one of the handlebar housings which would be difficult to hook into. Then there is the problem of if it needs to be programmed in or not. The only way to avoid a canbus problem is connecting it to the hot post either of the battery or the one with the red cap located off the battery. Then using a relay with switched power and a separate on/off switch. I would not recommend wiring it without a relay or they could be left on or turned on draining the battery leaving you stranded.

The challenge with Canbus plugging into after market lights is if the electrical load is out of the params set on the OEM lights, it might shut it off thinking the light is failing. You could look at something like the https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/canopener.

I have a set of Clearwater Erica on my GSA.... they are amazing lights and much better than the stock aux lights. Winding mountain roads at night are no match for the near aircraft landing light intensity they can put out. But Clearwater includes circuitry to let you use the OEM circuitry and not generate Canbus faults. This lets me also have the lights on low brightness as position lights, but go full tilt when I flash the brights or the horn.

Otherwise, directly wiring to the battery and adding your own aux switch on the handlebars always works albeit not as nice looking.

Could you give a link to those lights please ?

Back