AV gas?

aicpjim

Site Supporter
I have a buddy who can get me 100 octane aviation gas for about a buck-fifty more per gallon than Premium at the gas station. Would I be hurting anything running AV gas in my bike? Would it result in a little performance boost?

I have a buddy who can get me 100 octane aviation gas for about a buck-fifty more per gallon than Premium at the gas station. Would I be hurting anything running AV gas in my bike? Would it result in a little performance boost?
AV gas also known as 100LL is a leaded gas. It will most likely ruin your catalytic converters. I use it in my airplane tug, snowplow etc. I also used it in the past on a Honda Valkyrie with carburetors.

Thanks @divedolphin I didn't realize it was a leaded petrol as I have never purchased it.

In general using more octane than called for is a waste of money and too much can cause poorer performance as octane controls/stabilizes the the way the fuel burns when ignited and if it is way outside the ideal range of what the engine was designed to run on, performance is lost via a too controlled/slow burn. There is actually more energy in a gallon of lower octane petrol, but it is not as stable under high compression like in our engines and when unstable we have uncontrolled detonations that are recognized as "pinging" or knocking. Long story long... Octane blends are increased to better control the burn as the more efficient gains in power with the high compression can realize more power out of the gallon of fuel than the lower octane "more energy" blend at a lower compression. This pinging can be so bad that you can hear it, or maybe not and that is why most engines have a pinging/knock sensor that will adjust fuel and spark parameters that effectively detune the engine so severe damage doesn't occur. Reasonably fresh petrol in the recommended octane range will keep your engine happy.

In my country, because of the blend with ethanol, we have available 100 octanes gasoline. If you're asking about the octanes, nothing happened to my bike in terms of performance (for better or for worse) when I tried. But, if you are talking about AV Gas, I have to say that fuel has Lead. Be worry about that...

Just run E85 instead. Its even higher octane and less than regular unleaded most places. Plus it actually burns cleaner and is better for the environment.

Just kidding folks. This was just a JOKE. Do NOT run any fuel other than what is specified by the manufacturer. Doing otherwise is at minimum a gamble and likely a waste of money. The motorcycle was engineered to run on pump gas. The 1800cc boxer should run as intended on a range a unleaded fuel based on geographical location and availability. Deviate at your own risk ⛔️ and ONLY if you have no other option. Owners manual. Read and heed it! You wont regret it.

Just my 2¢ ... I am not one to pray at the alter of the motor company .. but this is a (still) brand new designed engine with the engineers knowing what fuel is generally available at the pumps these days, in other words with Ethanol fuels in mind. The valve seats, valves, rings, cylinder walls, etc. metallurgy is designed considering that (or it darn well better be!) ... with this said, I run premium pump gas in my R18 and feel pretty good about it ... with this also in mind, I run Ethanol free + Lead substitute in my '66 Pan-Shovel :) .... and yes, Lead additive WILL break your Catalytic Converters.

Back