Bag protection bars - are there any other manufacturers other than Wunderlich?

Well, who else sells R18 bag protection bars? No one. Hence my rant about Wunderlich being a monopoly at the moment.

That's why I sent them $600 bucks. They only had four in stock when I ordered (now three). I may be pissed, but I'm pragmatic, so I bought the best deal right now.

I'll do a dry fit and see if I like them as they are. If they don't clash too bad with the chrome, then MAYBE, just MAYBE I'll leave them alone. Otherwise, it's off to the chromers!

Gr8adv, I don't have Zelle, but if you have any cool messages to sell me, maybe I might ;) 😆

Mike
Here is the message Mike. And of course it’s free because you get what you pay for on this Forum 🤪

The best way to send a message to a company is to NOT send them money.

Well, who else sells R18 bag protection bars? No one. Hence my rant about Wunderlich being a monopoly at the moment.

That's why I sent them $600 bucks. They only had four in stock when I ordered (now three). I may be pissed, but I'm pragmatic, so I bought the best deal right now.

I'll do a dry fit and see if I like them as they are. If they don't clash too bad with the chrome, then MAYBE, just MAYBE I'll leave them alone. Otherwise, it's off to the chromers!

Gr8adv, I don't have Zelle, but if you have any cool messages to sell me, maybe I might ;) 😆

Mike
Would love to see what the black bag bars look like with the chrome fronts. I’m not a fan of adding more chrome but curious if the front chrome and back black looks ok.

I actually considered the Black color, I'm a little shocked that I went with the First Edition Model B which is littered with a ton of chrome jewelry.... (I typically like the look of blacked out bikes...)

Install the Black Protection Bars, you might actually like them - I'm starting to think the chrome bars on my bike is a bit too much (thank God the lines follow the pinstripes).

Touratech cases and the BMW mounting brackets for my 08 R1200 GS Adventure was way North of $750 (more like $3k); it's a good quality system - which is hard to find these days.

Like I said previous…..I paid through the nose. But if no one sells bars beside Wunderlich, that isn’t a blot on Wunderlich.

Like I said previous…..I paid through the nose. But if no one sells bars beside Wunderlich, that isn’t a blot on Wunderlich.
Exactly. Kind of crazy.

Be first to the market with something good, that works, and that people want, such that you sell out and can’t keep up with demand because it is literally not available anywhere else. Then take heat that you are charging too much for it.

I don’t get people sometimes. But I’m simple.

I’ve just seen this posted on Facebook, seems the Thai fabricator that does a lot of exhausts is working on bag protection bars. No doubt they’ll be significantly less expensive but the Wunderlich bars will be hard to beat on aesthetics imo. They seem to flow so well with the lines of the bike, particularly if you have pinstripes.

Attachments

• 1662098982472.png
    1662098982472.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Exactly. Kind of crazy.

Be first to the market with something good, that works, and that people want, such that you sell out and can’t keep up with demand because it is literally not available anywhere else. Then take heat that you are charging too much for it.

I don’t get people sometimes. But I’m simple.
I'm just a young middle-aged, yet navy-made-me-old-and-crotchety-curmudgeon who's not upset at Wunderlich selling protection bars. My beef is their arbitrary price hike of the chrome set after weeks of it being out of stock.

It's like they had a meeting to discuss how to deal with the demand and the answer was simply "raise the price", not "let's find another x, y, z, (whatever their issues are) way of doing this to meet our customers demand".

From a customer relations standpoint, this is not a good look, and it makes me wonder if it was a German HQ decision, as the decision IS logical and ignores customer sentiment (gee...what other German company as of late has been doing something similar, especially with subscription heated seats and no longer offering service manual DVD's to customers???).

Power to the little guy, I guess...whatever that means. 🤷‍♂️

Mike

I'm just a young middle-aged, yet navy-made-me-old-and-crotchety-curmudgeon who's not upset at Wunderlich selling protection bars. My beef is their arbitrary price hike of the chrome set after weeks of it being out of stock.

It's like they had a meeting to discuss how to deal with the demand and the answer was simply "raise the price", not "let's find another x, y, z, (whatever their issues are) way of doing this to meet our customers demand".

From a customer relations standpoint, this is not a good look, and it makes me wonder if it was a German HQ decision, as the decision IS logical and ignores customer sentiment (gee...what other German company as of late has been doing something similar, especially with subscription heated seats and no longer offering service manual DVD's to customers???).

Power to the little guy, I guess...whatever that means. 🤷‍♂️

Mike
Wait 1 minute... There wasn't a price hike, the Chrome price has always been $749 & the Black Color was always $599; when you land on the Wunderlich site for the Protection/Case Protection category - it always selects the Black Color $599 price until you actually select the Chrome version.

Hopefully this clears things up and the Earth is back on its proper axis...

Wait 1 minute... There wasn't a price hike, the Chrome price has always been $749 & the Black Color was always $599; when you land on the Wunderlich site for the Protection/Case Protection category - it always selects the Black Color $599 price until you actually select the Chrome version.

Hopefully this clears things up and the Earth is back on its proper axis...
Wait...I swear they both were $599.95 when you switched between the two...

Can someone verify if I'm losing my mind here? Disclaimer: I am a disabled vet taking 23 different meds daily, so if Scott's right, then I take no responsibility for my lapse of memory and fight with a windmill ;) 😆. J/k I take responsibility for being a doofus if I'm wrong.

SMH...

Mike

Can someone verify if I'm losing my mind here? Disclaimer: I am a disabled vet taking 23 different meds daily, so if Scott's right, then I take no responsibility for my lapse of memory and fight with a windmill ;) 😆. J/k I take responsibility for being a doofus if I'm wrong.

SMH...

Mike
Mike - Since you asked - I’ve been looking at them since early August and can confirm there has been this price difference since at least August 3rd.

Also, nothing wrong with chasing windmills passes the time and keeps the dogs occupied too.

(As an important aside, sorry to hear of the abundance of meds - my dad was a service disabled vet as well, and while the VA always treated him and my mom well, it blows donkey balls to have to deal with all that. So, thank you.)

SMH...

Mike
wow. I can't even name 23 different meds.

For one month you have to change your name here to don quixote and post an appropriate avatar. :)

Last edited:
I have always seen the $749 price for those bars and paid it.
Boy Howdee do they look good though.

I grew up in Nebraska loving Husker football and did not like Texas football. That was then. I have moved south a ways.

wow. I can't even name 23 different meds.

For one month you have to change your name here to don quixote and post an appropriate avatar. :)
Done (name pending moderator approval).

I dare not speak my medication names aloud...

264231349_10166118166020694_7830406906173787312_n.jpeg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike

Like the post title asks, I'm wondering if at present Wunderlich currently holds a monopoly on protection bars for our saddlebags, or does anyone know of other manufacturers who also make bars?

This is what I'm referring to exactly: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/wunderlich-bag-protection-bars-r18-bagger-transcontinental.html

Thanks!

Mike
Found them on Amazon now. Only $278 and ships from the US. Got mine in 2 days.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRHVNP5W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Saw they only had a 3 star rating. Can you say more about the quality and installation? Pics?
These appear to be the exact same style, fit and finish as the Wunderlich bars. I actually downloaded the install instructions from Wunderlich website. I attached a picture of the whole bike, you can see the rear guards. To be honest, these are the exact same as Wunderlich, but at half the price and made in China.

Attachments

• R18.jpg
    R18.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
Back