Bagger / TC Tank Phone Case and Potential for Phone Camera Damage?

HanseDavion

Recently traded my FE for a Bagger. While I enjoy the phone case on the tank, I have seen a few videos where people have mentioned the vibration from the bike damages their phone's camera while in the phone case on the tank. I was not sure if that is a common problem or not and wanted to see what people thought.

On my FE, I used an SP Connect mount with the vibration dampener they make. Before I had the dampener, the vibration most certainly damages my phone's camera. Not sure if that issue persists on the Bagger / TC models with the built in case on the tank.

Yeah...I saw that YT video too and rolled my eyes. IMO, there was something wrong with his phone before he got on the bike. I find it highly incredulous that our R18's have SO much vibration that phone accelerometer's and camera sensors fail when mounted properly in the OEM mount.

I've put my iPhone 12 Pro Max in my mount MANY times and have had ZERO issues. My only complaint is that I have to take my protective sleeve off for the phone to fit. Otherwise, no issues.

I have the TC, BTW.

Mike

I damaged the camera on my IPhone 11 Pro Max shortly after buying my TC. That was in September of 2021. What I think happened is I would let the bike idle while all of the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections were pairing. We all know the worst or best vibes depending on your preference are when sitting at idle. Also I think my bike vibrates less now that I have some miles on her. My camera was replaced for free under the Apple Care warranty. After that I rarely use the phone dock.

I damaged the camera on my IPhone 11 Pro Max shortly after buying my TC. That was in September of 2021. What I think happened is I would let the bike idle while all of the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections were pairing. We all know the worst or best vibes depending on your preference are when sitting at idle. Also I think my bike vibrates less now that I have some miles on her. My camera was replaced for free under the Apple Care warranty. After that I rarely use the phone dock.
Hmmm...

Maybe this might be an issue after all. One that might be a potential recall issue for BMW if enough customers are affected.

I'm guessing that I'm the lucky guy out...so far? Seems that a disassembly and inspection of the phone holder is in order.

Mike

The issue is vibration. Which our bikes have a lot of. So the phone cradle would need some kind of dampening system. Space in there is already tight. My phone doesn't fit with the phone case I have on it so I have to take that off if I want to put it in there.

The issue is vibration. Which our bikes have a lot of. So the phone cradle would need some kind of dampening system. Space in there is already tight. My phone doesn't fit with the phone case I have on it so I have to take that off if I want to put it in there.
I think that was my issue. I had to remove the case and the phone just barely fit. Maybe the solution is to trim off the ears that hold the bottom of the phone so it has a little room to float around?

Hmmm... Maybe some stuff posted on the Internet isn't true? Was the YT video posted by Mr.HD Lover?

All my phones [ Motorola RAZR, iPhone and Google Pixel 7] cameras, never experienced anything so ridiculous... No damage whatsoever over the last year of ownership of my R18 B.

Hmmm... Maybe some stuff posted on the Internet isn't true? Was the YT video posted by Mr.HD Lover?

All my phones [ Motorola RAZR, iPhone and Google Pixel 7] cameras, never experienced anything so ridiculous... No damage whatsoever over the last year of ownership of my R18 B.
This was the video that called my attention to it-

Also, on my R18 FE, I had my phone mounted to an SP Connect mount that was attached to my gas tank. And it did in fact break the camera. So no, this does not seem to be something that someone just "made up" on the internet. YMMV, however.

This was the video that called my attention to it-
Yup, that's the video I saw too.

Me however, I baby my electronics. My iPhone sits on my desk, undisturbed and I even use a bluetooth speakerphone when I'm in telework mode. Even when I'm handling it, I never put it in a back pocket, never let the battery run down past 50%, never let it get hot or sit in the sun, ...basically it lives the ideal life for a smartphone in longevity terms.

However, others who don't take much care of their phones...who knows? Perhaps the R18 just might be that needle on the camel's back that does it in for the phone's electronics???s

YMMV

Mike

I never had an issue with my phone in the tank cradle. For those riders who shift into 2nd gear at 5,000 rpm you might have an issue. Ride the bike as a comfortable touring machine, not as a sport bike. It's just being sensible handling a big beautiful bike.

Agreed - vibration. But it is not limited to only the R18. It mainly manifests in camera damage experienced on the Phone 10/X and later when cradled on motorcycles, particularly on high-powered Adventure Bikes.

Back