Barnyard/Shade Tree Transmission Oil Change

Ulrich

So ... Scott did already a fantastic job on all that .. but I figured I throw another one on top, the more the merrier ;)
Today's fun activity ... Transmission oil change!
First off I have upgraded my setup a bit .. it now includes a wheel chock ... it helps a lot when doing this
because the filler plug is on the kick-stand side of the bike ... go figure !
It is located behind this fun little cover

Transmission Oil Change 01.jpg

BMW seems bound and determined not to make things all that easy for us .. oh well :)
So , after the cover is off ... one screw and then you have to kinda fiddle it (technical term) upwards so it slides of that bracket
(btw. fun to get back on - insert sarcastic grin here - just don't force it .. it may be easier than you think!)

Transmission Oil Change 02.jpg

Then unscrew that item (one screw on the bottom) and wiggle it out of the way.
I used some masking tape to hold it out of the way .. sorry forgot to take a pic of that .. but
you get the idea.
Then you can see the filler plug

Transmission Oil Change 03.jpg

Got a bit blurry .. my camera didn't want to focus ...
So now I know where it will go in ... now where does it come out?
Right here .. underneath can't miss it .. it is a 19mm socket/bolt head

Transmission Oil Change 04.jpg

By the way there is a battery wire and a hose in the way of the filler plug .. I recommend
zip-ties to hold that out of the way while you work on it ... remove later :)

Transmission Oil Change 05.jpg

It is a 8mm hex wrench to get that out .. it should not be very tight ...
Mine came right out and it had (as expected) some metal on the magnet.
It was a dark grey almost graphite kinda feel ... no shiny bits of hard-face no chunks
so all good ;)
And wiped right off

Transmission Oil Change 06.jpg

Transmission Oil Change 07.jpg

Put a nice clean pan underneath and pulled the drain plug as well.
I was surprised to see that it did not have a magnet on that one ... hmmm

Transmission Oil Change 08.jpg

The oil that came out was a lot 'grimier' than I expected but ... she is going get fresh one anyway.
I will however shorten the interval between transmission oil changes .. until the oil comes out a bit nicer.
A couple liters of oil are an easy piece of mind .. IMO

Transmission Oil Change 09.jpg

Let her sit and drain for a bit ... oh and I did all of that with the engine/gearbox up to operating temperature,
I guess I should have mentioned that earlier .. but I do everything oil related at temperature :) ...
While I have me a beer and a smoke she drained out nicely and I put the cleaned drain plug back in.
Here is a IMO ... I used to use red shop rags ... I have completely switched to these blue disposable,
thick paper towels ... for me .. less risk of contamination with something else I wiped off before.
Anyway drain plug is back in ( @ 15 foot pounds - revised by suggestion of 'Cornel', if it seeps ... give it just a little more ... all it has to do is seal ) .. oh and I am a bit anal about thread-locker .. I even use it on the drain plug ...
just the purple 'Low Strength' version.

And now I ran out of pics to attach ... part 2 coming :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Transmission Oil Change 06.jpg
    Transmission Oil Change 06.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Part 2 ... where was I .. oh yes thread-locker ...

Transmission Oil Change 012.jpg

It's just me ...

Now for the oil .. BMW calls for 'Fuchs Titan 60/70' ... not really readily available 'round here
So I went with a bit of an experiment .. usually I would go with (and have in the past)
Bel Ray 'Hypoid' 80/90 but I got my hands on Schaeffer 75/90 and went with that ... lets see how it does.
... and yes the viscosity is a touch higher than what BMW calls for .. but the average ambient temperature here in So Oregon
is also quite a bit higher than in Berlin!

Transmission Oil Change 011.jpg

Please don't see that as a recommendation for any brand/style oil .. just telling you what I used!!!
This could go horribly sideways ... well maybe not ... I have used Schaeffer before and it seems some pretty decent oil.
Anyway ... hose on the bottle and in with it

Transmission Oil Change 013.jpg

1 full bottle is @ .95 Liter .. and I believe it calls for 1.15L total .. so, dump 1 whole bottle in and then use big syringe pull up 100 CCs
from another bottle (twice) and put it into the now empty one ... that should be about exactly 1.15 l ... I went a little over board and added it accidentally 3 times
means I have now 1.25 liters in there .. but I got a little thrown off
I am used to being able to see the oil at the filler hole ... not so much here ... but I did measure the oil that came out and that was just over 1 liter .. so it must be right.

Transmission Oil Change 014.jpg

Anyway .. filler plug back in ( @ 22 Foot pound - revised on suggestion from 'Cornel' ... again it doesn't have to fasten anything .. just seal)
And that was about it .. remove the zip-ties and fiddle that Hella outlet cover back on
don't let that little bracket drive you nuts ... it actually goes on quite easy ... sometimes.. 😆

Transmission Oil Change 02.jpg

That's it ... let me know if I went wrong someplace ... I don't mind admitting that I was wrong.
But please base that on your experience .. not of something somebody wrote on the web 😃

Attachments

• Transmission Oil Change 011.jpg
    Transmission Oil Change 011.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
First impressions ... she shifts smoother and more precise (what I mean is that the gears seem to 'snap' in more positive) ... it seems the mpg reading on the speedo seems to have gone up a bit ....
and more important to me .. I seem to have less 'gear-slap' ... what I mean is when she is idling on the kick stand and I pull the clutch
I could hear the transmission quiet down and when I snap the clutch I could hear the gears 'slap' ... now the initial noise is much lower and the slap almost non existent.
I like it! Time will tell if I did good :unsure:

Last edited:
So ... Scott did already a fantastic job on all that .. but I figured I throw another one on top, the more the merrier ;)
Today's fun activity ... Transmission oil change!
First off I have upgraded my setup a bit .. it now includes a wheel chock ... it helps a lot when doing this
because the filler plug is on the kick-stand side of the bike ... go figure !
It is located behind this fun little cover

View attachment 11068

BMW seems bound and determined not to make things all that easy for us .. oh well :)
So , after the cover is off ... one screw and then you have to kinda fiddle it (technical term) upwards so it slides of that bracket
(btw. fun to get back on - insert sarcastic grin here - just don't force it .. it may be easier than you think!)

View attachment 11069

Then unscrew that item (one screw on the bottom) and wiggle it out of the way.
I used some masking tape to hold it out of the way .. sorry forgot to take a pic of that .. but
you get the idea.
Then you can see the filler plug

View attachment 11070

Got a bit blurry .. my camera didn't want to focus ...
So now I know where it will go in ... now where does it come out?
Right here .. underneath can't miss it .. it is a 19mm socket/bolt head

View attachment 11071

By the way there is a battery wire and a hose in the way of the filler plug .. I recommend
zip-ties to hold that out of the way while you work on it ... remove later :)

View attachment 11072

It is a 8mm hex wrench to get that out .. it should not be very tight ...
Mine came right out and it had (as expected) some metal on the magnet.
It was a dark grey almost graphite kinda feel ... no shiny bits of hard-face no chunks
so all good ;)
And wiped right off

View attachment 11074

View attachment 11075

Put a nice clean pan underneath and pulled the drain plug as well.
I was surprised to see that it did not have a magnet on that one ... hmmm

View attachment 11076

The oil that came out was a lot 'grimier' than I expected but ... she is going get fresh one anyway.
I will however shorten the interval between transmission oil changes .. until the oil comes out a bit nicer.
A couple liters of oil are an easy piece of mind .. IMO

View attachment 11077

Let her sit and drain for a bit ... oh and I did all of that with the engine/gearbox up to operating temperature,
I guess I should have mentioned that earlier .. but I do everything oil related at temperature :) ...
While I have me a beer and a smoke she drained out nicely and I put the cleaned drain plug back in.
Here is a IMO ... I used to use red shop rags ... I have completely switched to these blue disposable,
thick paper towels ... for me .. less risk of contamination with something else I wiped off before.
Anyway drain plug is back in ( @ 8 1/2 foot pounds, if it seeps ... give it just a little more ... all it has to do is seal ) .. oh and I am a bit anal about thread-locker .. I even use it on the drain plug ...
just the purple 'Low Strength' version.

And now I ran out of pics to attach ... part 2 coming :rolleyes:
My Transmission Fill Plug looked similar to your
magnetic collection wise..

Screenshot_20230802-112825.png

I assume you didn't have any junks or shiny bit either .. just some graphite looking/feeling sludge? ... was your oil really grey/nasty as well?

Edit: When you refilled ... did the oil actually come up to the hole? ...mine didn't .. on previous bikes I could always use the fill-hole as a measuring point ...

I assume you didn't have any junks or shiny bit either .. just some graphite looking/feeling sludge? ... was your oil really grey/nasty as well?

Edit: When you refilled ... did the oil actually come up to the hole? ...mine didn't .. on previous bikes I could always use the fill-hole as a measuring point ...
I measured out 1.15 L; I did a measured comparison of the drained oil, which was closer to 1.1 L, just shy of approximately 50mL I would guess..

Not sure if it would hurt to top it off to the very top of the fill hole?

Nice write up Ulrich!

By the way the proper torque settings for the Transmission Oil Change are:

Transmission Drain Plug: 20Nm

Transmission Fill Plug: 30Nm

See the attached BMW Shop Manual Instructions.

Attachments

• R18-Transmission Oil Change Instructions.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
I measured out 1.15 L; I did a measured comparison of the drained oil, which was closer to 1.1 L, just shy of approximately 50mL I would guess..

Not sure if it would hurt to top it off to the very top of the fill hole?
I found from experience with my R1200C overfilling it causes seals to leak ... I think for now I stick with the 1.15Liter .. but as I said mine now has 1.25 in there (because i am a stooge) and so far no ill repercussions ...

Nice write up Ulrich!

By the way the proper torque settings for the Transmission Oil Change are:

Transmission Drain Plug: 20Nm

Transmission Fill Plug: 30Nm

See the attached BMW Shop Manual Instructions.
Thanks!
Revised the original posts to Drain 15 foot/pound
and
Filler to 22 foot/pound

... I have to admit that most of the time I don't use a torque wrench when dealing with drain and filler plugs ... over twisted enough of them over the past 40 years that I have learned to take it easy on them ;)

Is the technical document suggesting that an extra 50 mL be added to the Transmission case for a total of 1.2 L vs 1.15 L; I may add an additional 50 mL?

I dropped my bike off yesterday to have the valves adjusted; they quoted me around $390 to perform the service - I'll be performing my own service after the warranty expires.. performing the transmission, rear-wheel, air filter and engine oil service isn't hard at all; I just need to carve out some time to tackle the valve adjustment job...

Screenshot_20230803-063247.png

Little odd ... good catch ... so what they are saying is 'about' 1.2 Liter ... so the amount is a bit 'variable'? .. not used to that from German engineering where everything is so overly accurate normally .. LOL
Btw. after you done the valves once you will realize how simple it actually is ;)

Little odd ... good catch ... so what they are saying is 'about' 1.2 Liter ... so the amount is a bit 'variable'? .. not used to that from German engineering where everything is so overly accurate normally .. LOL
Btw. after you done the valves once you will realize how simple it actually is ;)
Yeah, I'm actually regretting the idea of paying for the valve service at this point; between what's been posted and the recent technical document, I feel most can adjust the valves in a DIY fashion..

Yeah, I'm actually regretting the idea of paying for the valve service at this point; between what's been posted and the recent technical document, I feel most can adjust the valves in a DIY fashion..
I don't have a choice anymore ... my local dealer was a BMW dealership for over 50 years .. a couple of years ago we had a massive fire here in the Rogue Valley where half of towns burned down .. amongst the affected buildings was his as well. At this time the shop was 'grandfathered' in and all good ... now they want him to have a 'spec' building that won't even fit on the property!! plus it would be 3 times the cost to what the insurance gave him for the old one ... they let him run for a bit in a temp shop, but as of 2 months ago they pulled his license and now he can't even get parts anymore !!! ... so screw this .. besides I had a real 'sticker shock' when they quoted me how much it would be .. I am too damn cheap for that and if I do it myself at least I know it's done 😁

EDIT: Btw. Cornel ... that .pdf is super appreciated!!! Thank you very much for that. I am just a dumb country boy with wrenches ... It is nice to see the actual specs in print.

Sorry to hi-Jack a post. Did my 6000 mile Maintanance myself, Im Amsoil guy and use marine grade transmission fluid. However, in process of re-installing I accidentally drop a plug and damage a tread. Can you guys tell me what is part # for a filler plug and from where to order one?

Best,

Dan.

Sorry to hi-Jack a post. Did my 6000 mile Maintanance myself, Im Amsoil guy and use marine grade transmission fluid. However, in process of re-installing I accidentally drop a plug and damage a tread. Can you guys tell me what is part # for a filler plug and from where to order one?

Best,

Dan.
Fill plug is 23 00 7721088

Max BMW out of Milford, CTScreenshot_20230927-064330.png

Best,

Dan.
No hi-jack ! ... Just a good question ;)

Back