Battery Problems

On a different note, has anyone experienced an issue where the brake lights and daytime running lights do not turn off despite the bike being off?
Sounds good and hopefully finding time for riding is the only problem moving forward.

Here's a link to the owner's manual, page 36 covers "courtesy" light delay in turning off and "parking" light settings.

r18 manual

🍻

No worries. I took the bike out today around town and the freeway a bit, and the display when riding her around was at a constant 14.4 Volts. I honestly forgot what the starting voltage was as I forgot to check it, apologies.

The tender I'm using is a charge/tender/maintainer kind, so once its done charging or if it detects the battery is full it turns into a tender. It's from Noco who make some great products regarding batteries and the like. The service department did end up checking out both chargers that I have and said they were working fine and with no issues.

Oh and most definitely riding has been great for my mental health.

On a different note, has anyone experienced an issue where the brake lights and daytime running lights do not turn off despite the bike being off?
In regards to 'Mental Health' ... good on you!!! As for the 14.4V riding voltage ... that would be what is to be expected and normal, so that can't be it ... now how about that lights thing, that would definitely drain a battery .. every time !

EDIT: I knew about the 'courtesy lights' didn't know about the parking lights ... I know my 'Chromehead' had them when you turned the key past the 'Off' position .. didn't know that the R18 had something similar. Thanks Bob!

...Do the brake lights and DRLs turn off eventually?

Edit, for some reason, BobW and Ulrich's posts didn't appear when I posted here. Only when I hit [Post Reply] theirs showed up before mine, making me look like an idiot...🤪

Mike

...Do the brake lights and DRLs turn off eventually?

Edit, for some reason, BobW and Ulrich's posts didn't appear when I posted here. Only when I hit [Post Reply] theirs showed up before mine, making me look like an idiot...🤪

Mike
LOL ... don't worry happens to me all the time ... but then sometimes I AM an idiot :LOL:

Same here, oftentimes I believe my purpose is to make others "look good" which as a silver lining has kept from being persona non grata in more than one watering hole ;) 🍻 🍻
Hahahaha we HAVE to have some beers someday ... give me a shout when you come into my neck of the woods and you definitely have one good on me!!!

EDIT: Sorry for the thread side-track!

Sounds good and hopefully finding time for riding is the only problem moving forward.

Here's a link to the owner's manual, page 36 covers "courtesy" light delay in turning off and "parking" light settings.

r18 manual

🍻

That's so weird that it says that it supposed to shut off after a minute because it definitely did not in my case.
Luckily it was only when I was getting gas so the light weren't on for too long, but they were on the entire time.

That's so weird that it says that it supposed to shut off after a minute because it definitely did not in my case.
Luckily it was only when I was getting gas so the light weren't on for too long, but they were on the entire time.
I would go into settings so you can see how these features are turned on-off and make sure they are off. Then do a couple starts-stops to check if they are still coming on. If not all is good, but if they are still remaining on that would be something I'd check further with your shop.

replace battery and stop using a tender all the time. Battery's should be left alone and not under a constant state of charge.
If you're referring to Lithium chemistry, then yes. However, if lead-acid (like 98% of our bikes have), then no.

Lead acid LOVES to stay topped off. It's even good practice to keep them on battery tenders if you don't plan on using them for two or more weeks at a time.

The only way to truly pause a lead-acid battery's self-discharge is to fully drain its acid, thus halting the battery's internal chemical processes...

Mike

Back