Battery Stuck Halfway Out

Hi, all. New account and first-time poster.

My R18 Classic sat for about a year and the battery has gone dead. Long story, but I was in a bad car accident and haven't been able to ride since. I'm trying to get the bike ready to ride again.

I've been trying to remove the dead battery to install a new one. I searched for YouTube videos, searched forums, but the only instructions I could find were in the owners manual which says:
  • Pull out the battery until the negative battery cable is accessible.
  • Loosen the negative battery cable.
  • Pull out the battery until the positive battery cable is accessible.
  • Loosen the positive battery cable.
  • Pull out the battery completely.
I was able to disconnect the negative terminal, no problem, but I kept pulling the battery trying to get access to the positive battery terminal. I pulled maybe too hard and the battery is now cocked diagonally and stuck halfway out of the bike. It seems the positive terminal wire isn't long enough to follow the instructions from the owner's manual above. That or else the cable is hung up somehow. I can't possibly access the positive terminal bolt with a wrench. I'm also unable to put the battery back in the compartment, so I'm stuck.

I'm hoping someone out there 1) has enough empathy not to laugh, and 2) has some advice on how to get out of the jam I've gotten myself into.

My last resort would be to put it on a trailer and tow it back to the dealer's service center.

Thanks in advance!

Hello.
On the RIGHT hand side of the bike, behind the frame, is access to the positive lead WIRE. The wire connects to the posited terminal. You need to remove the screw holding the red lead in the photo attached…and viola, it should slide free. Notice the orientation of how the wire feeds through the gap. I use a zip tie to feed the wire back through when inserting the battery. You pull the zip tie on the right side as you slide the battery in from the left.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 425C2365-BB90-4989-BEC3-19C6B0FC30F4.jpeg
    425C2365-BB90-4989-BEC3-19C6B0FC30F4.jpeg
    958.9 KB · Views: 37
Hi, all. New account and first-time poster.

My R18 Classic sat for about a year and the battery has gone dead. Long story, but I was in a bad car accident and haven't been able to ride since. I'm trying to get the bike ready to ride again.

I've been trying to remove the dead battery to install a new one. I searched for YouTube videos, searched forums, but the only instructions I could find were in the owners manual which says:
  • Pull out the battery until the negative battery cable is accessible.
  • Loosen the negative battery cable.
  • Pull out the battery until the positive battery cable is accessible.
  • Loosen the positive battery cable.
  • Pull out the battery completely.
I was able to disconnect the negative terminal, no problem, but I kept pulling the battery trying to get access to the positive battery terminal. I pulled maybe too hard and the battery is now cocked diagonally and stuck halfway out of the bike. It seems the positive terminal wire isn't long enough to follow the instructions from the owner's manual above. That or else the cable is hung up somehow. I can't possibly access the positive terminal bolt with a wrench. I'm also unable to put the battery back in the compartment, so I'm stuck.

I'm hoping someone out there 1) has enough empathy not to laugh, and 2) has some advice on how to get out of the jam I've gotten myself into.

My last resort would be to put it on a trailer and tow it back to the dealer's service center.

Thanks in advance!
Oh I have NEVER done that before! LOL ;)

Hello.
On the RIGHT hand side of the bike, behind the frame, is access to the positive lead WIRE. The wire connects to the posited terminal. You need to remove the screw holding the red lead in the photo attached…and viola, it should slide free. Notice the orientation of how the wire feeds through the gap. I use a zip tie to feed the wire back through when inserting the battery. You pull the zip tie on the right side as you slide the battery in from the left.
Hope this helps.
I actually tried that with the included bike torx wrench and I stopped because it felt like it was going to strip the torx bolt head. I'll have to get better tools and it try again. Thanks!

Back