Battery Trickle Charger

Thanks for the response, so if I crocodile clip a good trickle charger to any permanent live&neutral (eg the connectors for external battery jump start) it will work, or get the can-bus charger either will work?

Glad you brought this up, yet to use my Optimate on the R18 but swear by them on all my many bikes.

Question I had was whether the din power point near the reverse gear lever can be used to charge the battery with the appropriate plug and charger?

I did ask the dealer and they said yes, but I wasn’t massively convinced as they were lacking some knowledge around the R18.

Glad you brought this up, yet to use my Optimate on the R18 but swear by them on all my many bikes.

Question I had was whether the din power point near the reverse gear lever can be used to charge the battery with the appropriate plug and charger?

I did ask the dealer and they said yes, but I wasn’t massively convinced as they were lacking some knowledge around the R18.
I use the accessory outlet located below the Reverse Gear Shifter as my charging point; I have the new version BMW Smart Charger, which comes with the DIN power plug. I used the older BMW charger, on my 2008 GS Adventure during the 14 yrs of ownership; I only recall replacing the battery once. I would put my bike on the charger after each ride and leave it on the trickle charger over the Winter off riding season months with zero issues.

BMW accessories are typically pretty expensive; however, the quality and reliability seems to stand behind the price tag.

Yes. Plug in near the reverse lever.

I have the Optimate 4 Canbus version. Normal trickle chargers will not work through the DIN socket. As Enzo5000 says you’d have to run a separate piglet lead directly to the battery.

Others more knowledgeable may have better info, but here's my 2 cents. If I'm incorrect I gladly would appreciate solid info.

My dealer routinely installs direct-to-battery 2-pin DIN connections on the R18 bikes. When I was buying the TC, I asked to have one installed (so I didn't have to). The dealer said they install these on their bikes as part of their dealer-prep. They said not to use the factory-installed BMW-style connections for high-current flow devices (unlike my pre-Canbus R1150).

I also believe you need this direct 2-pin DIN connection if running heated gear as apparently Canbus doesn't play well with heated gear.

My Optimate 4 With DIN connector, you have to flip it to CanBus Mode, pretty simple, works like a charm on both, Fairing, or by the Reverse Lever.

Removing the Battery on a R18B, is not for the faint at heart, and the engineer who designed it, well, there’s a special place in hell for him or her.

FWIW, replaced the stock battery with a NOCO lithium battery and have a NOCO charging station. Dropped 15 lbs in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    981.5 KB · Views: 19
FWIW, replaced the stock battery with a NOCO lithium battery and have a NOCO charging station. Dropped 15 lbs in the process.
I was going to do this.. I couldn't find anyone who has before and didnt want to be a test.. I really should have done this. Now Im stuck with another OEM battery for 2-3 years. Keep us updated!

Seager,

I know you already got your BMW charger (I have one too, BTW). But FWIW, the stock battery is simply lead-acid and, as long as you hook up a direct pigtail to the battery terminals for charging, it doesn't matter what kind of charger you get.

The only benefit the BMW charger gets you is CANBus charging. I like the fact that I can plug the charger directly into ANY power port on my bike and charge away. Saves me from bending down and plugging it in.

Battery charger plugged in.jpg

Mike

Seager,

I know you already got your BMW charger (I have one too, BTW). But FWIW, the stock battery is simply lead-acid and, as long as you hook up a direct pigtail to the battery terminals for charging, it doesn't matter what kind of charger you get.

The only benefit the BMW charger gets you is CANBus charging. I like the fact that I can plug the charger directly into ANY power port on my bike and charge away. Saves me from bending down and plugging it in.

View attachment 10934

Mike

I am sure you are right. The only advantage I could see in BMW product and connecting to CAN-bus is the inference in the manual that one of the CPUs on the CAN-bus can control the charger (see attached photo extract). Whether that is and advantage- who knows 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
I was going to do this.. I couldn't find anyone who has before and didnt want to be a test.. I really should have done this. Now Im stuck with another OEM battery for 2-3 years. Keep us updated!
Not trying to hijack the thread, but the NOCO charging station is efficient if you charge more than one battery. I have switched all bike batteries to NOCO with no issues. I do live in a warm climate, and have read cold climates can affect lithium batteries. Beyond the weight, having multiple mounting points on the battery itself for charging lead and other accessories is nice.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the NOCO charging station is efficient if you charge more than one battery. I have switched all bike batteries to NOCO with no issues. I do live in a warm climate, and have read cold climates can affect lithium batteries. Beyond the weight, having multiple mounting points on the battery itself for charging lead and other accessories is nice.
Forgot to add picture…

Attachments

• 96F226C8-F89B-476F-93FE-7500270614F9.jpeg
    96F226C8-F89B-476F-93FE-7500270614F9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Back