Beveled Rear Brake Pads

theMucker

Premium Member
Soon after taking my R18 home I happened to look down at the rear caliper and said WTF? The pads looked like the "tops" (outboard edges) were worn away, to a severe angle.
But I almost never touch the rear brake pedal and even if I did use the rear brake more, the pads couldn't be worn away like that AND in less than 100 miles. Hmmmmm...
I had to order a set of E-Torx wrenches so I could remove the rear caliper to inspect the pads, because the caliper was fastened with male-Torx screws. Yesterday I removed the rear caliper and it turns out that the pads are virtually new and the manufacturer had simply beveled the leading & trailing edges of the pads. They only appear to be worn away at their outboard edges. All is good!

beveled rear brake pads.jpgrear brake pads_WTF.jpg

So, the more it's worn, the more it brakes, according to the growing contact area ?
Good point, Gerard! But I suspect that the change won't be noticeable.
And, in my case, it DEFINITELY won't be apparent because the rear pads will last almost forever. As a former sportbike rider, I have the habit of only touching the brake pedal on loose surfaces or at times where traction is minimal. BUT, with the R18's linked brake system, the rear pads will get some use none the less.

Back