BMW, I wish.......

Well, here is my Gasp to BMW. Proud first-time Beemer owner, I got me R18 FE, however, after years of riding other brands, FE left me with a bitter taste in my mouth about a few things.

1- Rear brake is pathetic and could be "locked" at any time, there is no ABS if used alone.
2- Rear suspension is pathetic, entirely unwinded makes the ride a little bit softer than seating on 2 X 4
3- The stock seat is pathetic, Damn BMW there are older riders/buyers than yuppies.

I know, there are accessories available to correct that, but spending extra cash on a new bike?? Looks like Berlin cut corners big time. I feel like I got myself an expensive Sportster.

1- Rear brake is pathetic and could be "locked" at any time, there is no ABS if used alone.
ABS works with either brake (I’ve tested that). The rear brake on the R18 actually does more braking than on most other bikes. The front brake does feel a bit wooden and needs more throw to actuate than other bikes, but apparently this is tuned in to match other cruisers. Other BMWs don’t have that feeling & I’ve only had similar feel on other cruisers.

2- Rear suspension is pathetic, entirely unwinded makes the ride a little bit softer than seating on 2 X 4
Lots of threads on setting the preload correctly for your riding weight. It can make a huge difference in the feel. Most people (and unfortunately their dealer too) have left their suspension in the shipping position which results in a very harsh bump when you hit the stop immediately and scraping on minimal turns. Setting it correctly addresses these like it does on any bike. It won’t be as plush as 9” of travel on a GS, but look at any cruiser with the low seat goal and they all have minimal suspension travel.

Setting it correctly has another benefit… this becomes one of if not the best handling 800 pound cruiser out there!

3- The stock seat is pathetic, Damn BMW there are older riders/buyers than yuppies.

Absolutely correct. The stock seat looks good but is too narrow to provide support beyond an hour. This is the first bike where I changed seats immediately.

I know, there are accessories available to correct that, but spending extra cash on a new bike?? Looks like Berlin cut corners big time. I feel like I got myself an expensive Sportster.

Farkles are common on most any bike and many owners enjoy making the bike their own. I don’t believe Berlin cut corners, rather they attempted to match the feeling and look of most cruisers.

The one exception is unlike most cruisers that have such wallowing suspension and spaghetti frames that going thru a corner above the yellow suggested speed is a terrifying experience, the R18 is perfectly happy to go thru those corners 20-30MPH over the speed limit…. So maybe the Berlin built bike does cut corners big time!

Well, here is my Gasp to BMW. Proud first-time Beemer owner, I got me R18 FE, however, after years of riding other brands, FE left me with a bitter taste in my mouth about a few things.

Pathetic is a “tough” word. They bike, like ALL the others, needs some personal adjustment, because is not a car where you could move the seat, the steering wheel, etc. Your comparison with the R18 with a Sporter don’t even need a reply, probably you never had none of them before…

PD: my 2019 Fat Boy sucks against the R18 (and is always at the Dealer with an issue)

Oh, dear Luis, I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just my experience with a bike. And I do agree with you about my previous bikes Sportster and Harley's Electra Glide, are not relaiable bikes. I'm not talking about reliability, yet. I traded Electra Glide for R18. Yes, for Bavarian Moto Werks, giving unexceptable schlecht gebaut rear suspension it's nothing but pathetic. I care less for eye candy, I love to enjoy a rede too. Each time i hit a bump, it takes my breath away. Each time I hit rear brake hard , it locks a wheel.
This tread is BMW, I whish.... This was my whish, they can taked or leaved.

Oh, dear Luis, I didn't mean to offend anyone, it's just my experience with a bike. And I do agree with you about my previous bikes Sportster and Harley's Electra Glide, are not relaiable bikes. I'm not talking about reliability, yet. I traded Electra Glide for R18. Yes, for Bavarian Moto Werks, giving unexceptable schlecht gebaut rear suspension it's nothing but pathetic. I care less for eye candy, I love to enjoy a rede too. Each time i hit a bump, it takes my breath away. Each time I hit rear brake hard , it locks a wheel.
I'm not offended, but the shock travel and seat were certainly not a secret pre purchase. Butt, as @nielsm explained very well the rear shock is easily adjusted/confirmed to be set for your weight and makes a HUGE difference. It takes just a few seconds to pop off the side cover and put a 13mm or 1/2 inch socket on the adjuster and make a few turns to get the most comfort from what is available. There are clear instructions in the manual as well as a great thread on the site. The touring models of the R18 have additional travel and are electronically adjustable, but the front ends are the same suspension components. I have no idea what you are doing reference the rear brake. If you are intentionally turning off the abs to make the tires skid and then they skid when you apply pressure it would seem you should simply leave the abs function active. BTW, I ride my R18 fairly aggressively in the Appalachian Mountains for a majority of my riding and most of the time I only use my front brake as the front and rear are linked. Using only the rear brake pedal activates only the rear brake. The rear brake is as @nielsm clearly explained and the only time I have had my rear brake lock up is when I ride on a gravel road and intentionally brake hard enough to see how the system and the motorcycle respond with abs activated. Perhaps RTFM and practice a bit before getting a chapped ass (pun intended) and look for a local seat place to modify your current 2X4 and/or read a few threads that others have posted on aftermarket choices.

I like all motorcycles to include Sportsters and Electra Glides and the R18 is not trying to be either beyond the obvious overlap all motorcycles share. A few thousand miles will see the R18 really break in nicely and I would suggest riding it for what it is rather than what it is not nor intended to be. If you don't like it there will be a new Sporty or ? you can get on as there really are no bad motorcycles nowadays and there is no reason to stick with one that isn't a good match.

Give her a chance and enjoy!

🍻🍻

No no no. I don’t feel offended don’t worry. English is not my main language and maybe my reply sounds hard. 👍

Back