BMW MOTORRAD:Service schedual and required maintainance kinda sux with extra charges

• Thread starter Deleted member 939
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 939

First off

I really love my R18C.That being said,I don't know if I would do the deal again had I known about their BS charges.
The first 600 mile service was a pricey one. I had them do all the fluids so that bumped it up a little more.Not complaining.The dealer told ne it would be around $400.
I did see a charge on the bill for installing a part then removing it.I asked about it.It is a billet aluminum piece that attaches to the rear muffler posts so they can stabilize the bike by lifting it with said brace."Its a BMW requirement""and it is part of the BMW maintenance."
I guess everyone here got desensitized and was ready for that little adventure.No worries,I'm over it.
Just to add,I am a rider at at least 35,000 per year.So,I planned to do the services myself and have done some extra oil changes in between the BMW requirements.
Since, I am having a sidecar installed Dec 1,I took the bike to the dealer to have the valve clearance checked, (the odometer was right at 6,000miles) and hvae a decent service record before the install.
No problem here so far.
Then,
I asked about the idiot lite/ mechanical wrench on the dash and here is where it gets a little bit NUTZ.
We don't turn it off unless you have the specific list of items completed at 6,000 mile service.

Kinda sux that it can not be turnned off by the owner. Not sure if a smart lawyer could take them on ?
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service.

Note air filter and brake fluid change Check labor Install center stand tool.Guess ya gotta rent their tools.
Kinda thought air filter is 12,000 or yearly and Brake fluid is every 2 years
most BMW air head has a 12,000 mile valve clearance check

Attachments

• IMG_9696.jpg
    IMG_9696.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9698-2.jpg
    IMG_9698-2.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
R18C 600 mile service at my BMW dealer $160 find another BMW dealer sounds like he’s puttingTo you Sounds like bullshit
Again be objective,

Not complaining about prices per se.I asked them to do more work and parts.
I am talking about charging for the use of a tool to allow them to hold the bike on the lift and
The requirement to change the brake fluid,aircleaner and not turning off the wrench check lite.Lesson learned!
Last thing, just spreading the joy.It is getting close to the holidays and the spirit of giving.
Consider this thread your early Christmas present.:)

Yes, the service light is a major source of dissatisfaction. I had mine in for that rainy day cylinder issue a few months ago and I swear a week later the service light popped on. The gs-911 can't come soon enough. I'll maintain things, as I always do. She's not gonna be neglected, not one bit. But I need a way to stifle the flashing service light within hours of it's appearance.

Yes, the service light is a major source of dissatisfaction. I had mine in for that rainy day cylinder issue a few months ago and I swear a week later the service light popped on. The gs-911 can't come soon enough. I'll maintain things, as I always do. She's not gonna be neglected, not one bit. But I need a way to stifle the flashing service light within hours of it's appearance.
Thanks for the reply.Spot on with the observation.
Maybe I could sue Motorrad for causing a medical condition.The blinking light causes me seizures,LOL!

Is the GS-911 a diagnostic tool?

(Not just throwing in a wrench here pun intended).The BMW service manager told me that there are recorded codes and other settings that only BMW/Motorrad can see and reset.It will be interesting to see how some that want to mod or tune will be challenged by this.
Steve Cole at TTS produced the original Screamin Eagle Tuners for HD for years.Then HD found another vendor to make another more unfriendly version which had or has glitches which makes the HDs harder to tune.I was reading that HD will void you if another tuner of flash is detected at the dealer.
The dealer has no control as when the ECU is plugged in at the dealer,HD red flags the bike.

I do all my own service and document it with photos, dates and milage logs. The GS-911 also works great in diagnosing problems, clearing fault codes and resetting service interval alerts.
Agreed!

Back to the biggest gripe is the rental fee charged for a tool that allows the service dept to lift the rear just SUX.
Added with changing the brake fluid and air filter at 6,000 miles seems unreasonable.
I will say the 6,000 mile valve adjustment did add a little spring to her step.The idle on rock mode is more pronounced and smoother at speed.

Back to the biggest gripe is the rental fee charged for a tool that allows the service dept to lift the rear just SUX.
Added with changing the brake fluid and air filter at 6,000 miles seems unreasonable.
I just had the 600 mile service done on my R18 TC. My dealer purchased 2 of the new R18 lifts at $800 each for servicing their R18s, and are planning on getting 2 more. They did not charge me any rental fee for the lift. I think any dealer that does should be avoided if possible.

I just had the 600 mile service done on my R18 TC. My dealer purchased 2 of the new R18 lifts at $800 each for servicing their R18s, and are planning on getting 2 more. They did not charge me any rental fee for the lift. I think any dealer that does should be avoided if possible.
The tool I am talking about is not a lift.It is a billet piece of aluminum that is placed on the 2 rear muffler hangers(left&right) to allow a jack to be used to lift the rear of the motorcycle.
The cost is a little over $300 to the consumer.

The tool I am talking about is not a lift.It is a billet piece of aluminum that is placed on the 2 rear muffler hangers(left&right) to allow a jack to be used to lift the rear of the motorcycle.
The cost is a little over $300 to thr consumer.
The lift I’m referring to is actually 2 pieces - the jack, and the aluminum piece you mention that attaches to the jack under the rear muffler hangers. Combined, they’re $800 according to my dealer. Both pieces are needed to lift the bike.

The lift I’m referring to is actually 2 pieces - the jack, and the aluminum piece you mention that attaches to the jack under the rear muffler hangers. Combined, they’re $800 according to my dealer. Both pieces are needed to lift the bike.
Yeah,
after you install the adapter almost any scissor jack will work.
My issue is beinging charged rental for a tool the dealer needs.
Again,I will service myself.
Hope your new ride is all you need it to be.
Gday

Yeah,
after you install the adapter almost any scissor jack will work.
Actually my dealer said that the aluminum part will only work with a specific BMW jack, and that they tried a couple others and they didn’t fit. Typical BMW thinking.

My issue is beinging charged rental for a tool the dealer needs.
Again,I will service myself.
Hope your new ride is all you need it to be.
Gday
Maybe try another dealer if you can - clearly this one you’re using is gouging customers.

Not to argue or flame.Just stating my expierence with the adaptor.I had the dealer show me the adaptor.I held it in my hands.I saw it attached to my R18C and they used a common scissor jack.The adaptor allows the use of a flat jack because it allows use to put the jack in where it does not touch any part of the exhaust or any areas that could be damaged.The part # I listed used to have a picture.Actually quite a few vehicles use a similar system.
btw:
Not spending $400 or $800.BMW got enough of my pesos.I will deal with a jack/lift after I get the sidecar installed at the end of the month.
Gnite

There used to be a part number showing the price.Looks like emailing them is the only way to get one.

this is not an alluminum part; it's stainless steel. And it doesn't go under the exhaust, it goes under the frame.... I bought one with the bike, some 150 euro/excl VAT... Had to modify it a bit to work with my siccor jack... if you like I will run out and make some more pictures.

ps, the blue jack was something in the region of 75 euro... it can lift 500 kg...

Attachments

• 20210724_132713.jpg
    20210724_132713.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back