BMW MOTORRAD:Service schedual and required maintainance kinda sux with extra charges

• Thread starter Deleted member 939
  • Start date
did run out to the sleeping beauty and made some additional pictures, also when installed under the bike... hope you can see, the addapter does not support the exhaust, but the round brackets on the frame that hold the exhaust mounting on the frame....

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_110206.jpg
    IMG_20211117_110206.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20211117_110230.jpg
    IMG_20211117_110230.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20211117_110446.jpg
    IMG_20211117_110446.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
I plan to do my own maintenance, just like I do/did on the R26, R69s, R75-5 and R45... damn the torpedo's.... do need info on how to actually reset the service light... anyone??

did run out to the sleeping beauty and made some additional pictures, also when installed under the bike... hope you can see, the addapter does not support the exhaust, but the round brackets on the frame that hold the exhaust mounting on the frame....
Better description than I wrote where it attaches and did not know that it is SS.Thx.

Better description than I wrote where it attaches and did not know that it is SS.Thx.
the weight alone gives it away ;-{) ... Also did use a few grinding discs when upgrading it to my specs... But I do believe that the actual mounting points (that can swivle) ar aluminum

the weight alone gives it away ;-{) ... Also did use a few grinding discs when upgrading it to my specs... But I do believe that the actual mounting points (that can swivle) ar aluminum
But I do believe that the actual mounting points (that can swivle) ar aluminum

Yeah,that is what I was referencing
Also,good luck deleting the codes.I am told there are codes only BMW can see & address/erase.

also, just a thought...it looks like these mounting points are chosen to be in the centre (of gravity?) of the bike...
You could, in theory, lift the bike and then balance it out to just float on the lifting points; both wheels of the ground.
That is also most likely the reason for the, strangely shaped, alu components and the way they snap on the exhaust bracket....
Have to play with that...

And just for info: there is also a bigger lift tool / adapter, that goes under the engine... din't choose that one because it blocks access to the drainplug and filter...

Looking at that adapter is another reason I believe the adjustable feature of this Jack would work.

Attachments

• 9A4E5643-8731-413C-8B32-2005470A136C.jpeg
    9A4E5643-8731-413C-8B32-2005470A136C.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 6
I posted this before.

They do military discounts.
I am gonna wait to see which way to go after the sidecar install.

First off

I really love my R18C.That being said,I don't know if I would do the deal again had I known about their BS charges.
The first 600 mile service was a pricey one. I had them do all the fluids so that bumped it up a little more.Not complaining.The dealer told ne it would be around $400.
I did see a charge on the bill for installing a part then removing it.I asked about it.It is a billet aluminum piece that attaches to the rear muffler posts so they can stabilize the bike by lifting it with said brace."Its a BMW requirement""and it is part of the BMW maintenance."
I guess everyone here got desensitized and was ready for that little adventure.No worries,I'm over it.
Just to add,I am a rider at at least 35,000 per year.So,I planned to do the services myself and have done some extra oil changes in between the BMW requirements.
Since, I am having a sidecar installed Dec 1,I took the bike to the dealer to have the valve clearance checked, (the odometer was right at 6,000miles) and hvae a decent service record before the install.
No problem here so far.
Then,
I asked about the idiot lite/ mechanical wrench on the dash and here is where it gets a little bit NUTZ.
We don't turn it off unless you have the specific list of items completed at 6,000 mile service.

Kinda sux that it can not be turnned off by the owner. Not sure if a smart lawyer could take them on ?
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service.

Note air filter and brake fluid change Check labor Install center stand tool.Guess ya gotta rent their tools.
Kinda thought air filter is 12,000 or yearly and Brake fluid is every 2 years
most BMW air head has a 12,000 mile valve clearance check
Well said. Crazy about my R18. NOT crazy about the fuel reserve hijacking normal functionality. I just rolled past the 600 mile mark and have less functionality. I‘d argue dangerous for the owner to be screwing around while riding past the 600 mile mark.

With you on the Magnuson-Moss act. It’s not about the $, it’s the time, effort, and principal. I’ll do my level best to front run issues and will report back. Let me know if you find an OBD reset tool. Thanks for the heads up.

Bob, any further info on this?? if so, could you start a new thread ?
I received an email yesterday from GS 911 that the latest updates are available to include adding the R18 as a supported vehicle. I picked up my R18 Classic from the dealership today so the timing of the update is perfect. I will update my computer this weekend and test the secret handshake to confirm they play well together and will post results in a new thread,

Cheers

I received an email yesterday from GS 911 that the latest updates are available to include adding the R18 as a supported vehicle. I picked up my R18 Classic from the dealership today so the timing of the update is perfect. I will update my computer this weekend and test the secret handshake to confirm they play well together and will post results in a new thread,

Cheers

That ought to be interesting when a bike with 3rd party cans that deleted the hangers goes in for service!
don't think that would be a problem... the 3rd party exhausts that I have seen, also use the same mounting construction... there is no reason to remove these..... also, you could use a simple lifting jack with a niece piece of wood, under the oilpan.... BMW oilpans can handle that... (at least that's how I always did it on my older bikes)... just make sure you can access the oilfilter area, including oil drain bolt
I'm getting in the mood to perform all basic maintenance this winter, just for the heck of it... (not req due to low milleage)

don't think that would be a problem... the 3rd party exhausts that I have seen, also use the same mounting construction... there is no reason to remove these.....
I have already had mine off --the shop might scratch their heads when there is nothing for that jig to interface with! ... and yes, I'd personally be lifting it elsewhere.

Nothing but air…
498F3171-0D2C-482C-AED7-D7472FD45C27.png

I have already had mine off --the shop might scratch their heads when there is nothing for that jig to interface with! ... and yes, I'd personally be lifting it elsewhere.

Nothing but air…
View attachment 3467
did you actually remove the tube like mounting points on the frame?? why?? they are welded to the frame and have rubber inserts.

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_110446.jpg
    IMG_20211117_110446.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 10
did you actually remove the tube like mounting points on the frame?? why?? they are welded to the frame and have rubber inserts.
I hate to break it to you, but they are not welded to the frame. They are part of the hanger —which bolts to the frame with two threaded fasteners. This is why I questioned the jig in the first place. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back