Bmw r18 first edition tic tic tic

does the r18 have a tic tic sound after it heats up? mine does and this is my first boxer engine bike. I'm not sure if its normal.

Getting into the highway i can hear tics when I let go of the throttle and pull in the clutch

does the r18 have a tic tic sound after it heats up? mine does and this is my first boxer engine bike. I'm not sure if its normal.

Getting into the highway i can hear tics when I let go of the throttle and pull in the clutch
Does the sound change along with engine speed, or vehicle speed with the clutch in?

Are you sure it's an engine noise. It almost sounds like something is stuck in the tire tread. A screw, a chunk of gravel, etc.

It sounds like a big push rod boxer engine with solid lifters.

Solid lifters need adjustment and are noisier than hydraulic lifters.Hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to keep the tolerance adjusted to valve clearance.Solid are just that.Soild,no leeway.The solid adjuster keeps the valve train in a fixed setting so as the engine gets hotter the lifter should quiet down if properly adjusted.The hydraulic lifter self adjusts with oil pressure so less noisy and no adjustment.

Not sure how many miles you have on your bike but when you change the break in oil at 600 the 15w50 should help.The lifters need checked and adjusted at 6,000 or 10,000K.

Last thing,the bike is always goona sound noisier in the garage and take awhile to warm up.I let my bkie run for 5 minutes in the garage the other day and the oil cooler was still cold to touch.
To me,It doesn't sound any noisier than my bike.Hope that helps .

Last edited by a moderator:

Solid lifters need adjustment and are noisier than hydraulic lifters.Hydraulic lifters use oil pressure to keep the tolerance adjusted to valve clearance.Solid are just that.Soild,no leeway.The solid adjuster keeps the valve train in a fixed setting so as the engine gets hotter the lifter should quiet down if properly adjusted.The hydraulic lifter self adjusts with oil pressure so less noisy and no adjustment.

Not sure how many miles you have on your bike but when you change the break in oil at 600 the 15w50 should help.The lifters need checked and adjusted at 6,000 or 10,000K.

Last thing,the bike is always goona sound noisier in the garage and take awhile to warm up.I let my bkie run for 5 minutes in the garage the other day and the oil cooler was still cold to touch.
my bikes at 7020km thanks for the info, ill keep it in mind. I hope the dealership helps me out on this one. I'll try to ask a demo bike and hear the engine if its the same if they tell me that there is nothing wrong with the engine noise 🤔

That does not sound normal to me, I would say it sounds like excessive valve noise but it’s difficult to say from a video. I can say my R18 does not have that clicking sound.

after it heats up, and the noise persists on every gear. I may be just stupid or paranoid though. can you take a look at the video if it sounds normal to yours?

It isn't really fair to diagnosis a issue or problem from watching and listening to a video.Besides,I didn't have my hearing aides in.:)
Funny,with Indian we went thru a period.Indian 111s had clackers here we have clickers and tic tic tic,ers.
My 2014 numbered (minnie clacker) Chieftain had 95,000 miles when I traded it in on my 2017.Oh,the 14 is still running with the next owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does not sound normal to me, I would say it sounds like excessive valve noise but it’s difficult to say from a video. I can say my R18 does not have that clicking sound.
I thought so too, riding around it sounds way too much, I just recorded it from my phone so it doesn't sound very good.

My bike its getting closer to the 6k service, anybody know how much should i expect to pay for valve clearence adjusment at the dealer?? How easy it is??can't find any video on line... TIA

My bike its getting closer to the 6k service, anybody know how much should i expect to pay for valve clearence adjusment at the dealer?? How easy it is??can't find any video on line... TIA
There is a video on page 2 in the "MOA Service Video" thread. It appears to be from a tech in a Euro dealership, but he goes through the servicing to include checking the valves.

I just had my valves adjusted at 6k miles. All four valves were out of spec. Target on all four valves .2-.3 mm. Mine were all at approx. .4mm. My dealer charged me only 1 hour of labor to do the job! $140...Barrington Cycle Works... I should note that the bike was running great with the valves out of spec...lol

Me to mate sounds just like mine

Back