BMW R18 Homage saddle

BME-R-18-stock-shots-captioned-2020-BMW-R-18-621908.jpg

I like the old school seat. I do not like the huge gap between seat and fender. Could it be adapted to look more like this?
e2674de0-c185-425c-bd05-bc80c868cab0-jpeg.1484

Adapted? I don't know. I get what you're saying, and I agree. The homage saddle is a bit too retro for my taste.

A couple thoughts though. 1) part of the issue is the shape of the seat itself. Chop off everything rear of the logo on the OEM saddle, (pretty much the shiny part) and you're getting closer to the shape of the WalzWerks saddle. But you're losing support, which is a drawback. 2) the WalzWerks saddle, in application, is a bit different from what they tend to picture. They're photographing what looks the best, no doubt, but that's not necessarily going to be how you'll be riding. Ok, I'm 6'1" and am long in the torso and arms. Not knuckle-dragging, but suffice to say that none of my suits are off the rack. With the stock bars, I need my WalzWerks saddle positioned as far forward as it'll go. Here's the profile

490A281C-E43D-46CE-9F05-CDEBC706A60C.jpeg

Yeah, sawdust everywhere. I spent the day building an awning.

A3AD9693-A6A0-42BB-80D0-6B5981BF8AF9.jpeg

Turned out ok. Learned how to apply membrane roof and got to use the Pythagorean theorem in a real-world application (the cable length) for maybe the first time since 10th grade.

Anyhow, there's definitely a gap there between fender and seat. Not as extreme as the OEM bobber saddle, but not as tight as what's pictured on WalzWerks. And there's a ton of potential movement in the rear wheel/fender; making the gap necessary.

I bit the bullet & ordered the BMW bobber kit. Has anyone installed one?
Adapted? I don't know. I get what you're saying, and I agree. The homage saddle is a bit too retro for my taste.

A couple thoughts though. 1) part of the issue is the shape of the seat itself. Chop off everything rear of the logo on the OEM saddle, (pretty much the shiny part) and you're getting closer to the shape of the WalzWerks saddle. But you're losing support, which is a drawback. 2) the WalzWerks saddle, in application, is a bit different from what they tend to picture. They're photographing what looks the best, no doubt, but that's not necessarily going to be how you'll be riding. Ok, I'm 6'1" and am long in the torso and arms. Not knuckle-dragging, but suffice to say that none of my suits are off the rack. With the stock bars, I need my WalzWerks saddle positioned as far forward as it'll go. Here's the profile

View attachment 5643

Yeah, sawdust everywhere. I spent the day building an awning.

View attachment 5644

Turned out ok. Learned how to apply membrane roof and got to use the Pythagorean theorem in a real-world application (the cable length) for maybe the first time since 10th grade.

Anyhow, there's definitely a gap there between fender and seat. Not as extreme as the OEM bobber saddle, but not as tight as what's pictured on WalzWerks. And there's a ton of potential movement in the rear wheel/fender; making the gap necessary.
Thank you for the input. I am going retro and trying to pick up a few more of the styling cues from the R5. Even though there is a space between seat and fender on that model it looks much more balanced than the R18 with the BMW bobber kit. That being said I did order the BMW bobber kit & will do a bit of customization. Are you aware of anyone on the forum who has installed one?

I read through this thread, but couldn't tell for sure. Has anybody just installed the BMW Homage seat on a stock Classic (or FE), and did it just fit?

I read through this thread, but couldn't tell for sure. Has anybody just installed the BMW Homage seat on a stock Classic (or FE), and did it just fit?
You need to order a special bracket mount in order to mount the solo seat onto the bike. Probably $760+ for both the seat and special bracket.

Thank you, that was great information. Odd, though with bmw guess not, that RE and Classic owners could not power the heat on the bmw solo seat. BMW is just so screwed up on what it offers buyers of the motorcycles. I would say they Nickel and dime us to death but it’s more like they hundreds and thousands of dollars us to death for things.

Back