BMW R18 Recall/STOP SALE alert

Svtweb

Staff member
Elite Member
I took my bike in today for its 600 mile service and was informed that BMW has placed a STOP order on sales of the R18. The campaign number is OSTOP310001. Steering head screw.

No further information was available at this time. The dealership didn’t have any idea as this is the only R18 the dealer has sold.

Wow. Did they let u leave? Did they affect a repair?
They couldn’t legally keep my bike. But they also had zero information from BMW on what is needed. My guess is it is a torque-spec issue. Same thing happened when they released the new R1200RT Water-cooled bikes a few years ago.

Just got this from my dealer. "None of the units in my inventory or pipeline are flagged for a stop sale, and the attached report for your bike shows no open bulletins."
See the attachment...chris

Attachments

• 2021 BMW R18 data WB10L130XM6D35214.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 73
A stop sales notice isn't the same thing as a stop ride notice. There was a recall about a year ago on K16's due to a transmission fault that caused a stop sale, but not a stop ride - so most of us kept riding for a few months until parts were available for the recall work. Additionally, the dealerships did the recall work on their inventory prior to doing recall work on already sold bikes. That was fine with me because the recall work was fairly involved and I was happy to have them get experience before dismantling my gear box. A few years ago there was a stop ride notice on R1200RT due to a recall on the rear shock, I think it was.

Sunuvagun! I don't know about a "stop sale"... I just want to be the recipient of a SALE!
I've taken a test ride and I want one! And now I'm waiting for the factory to get in touch with my dealership to let us know if, how much $, AND when I can get the R18 that has the attributes that I have chosen on the factory website.

I see one R18 with a failed cylinder which produced blue puffing smoke out of the exhaust on the left side. Any cylinder issues with your bikes? Any more info on this issue and if bikes showing up have been corrected at the factory or if they are being corrected at the dealerships prior to releasing them to the buyers? I'm due to pick up my bike next week. Thank you.

So the recall has only affected a few bikes and it has to do with the steering head bolt incorrectly torqued.
The click-bait video is the only bike we are aware of on the forums that had that type of issue.

So the recall has only affected a few bikes and it has to do with the steering head bolt incorrectly torqued.
The click-bait video is the only bike we are aware of on the forums that had that type of issue.
Thanks for the reply. Hard to believe that BMW Motorrad would issue a stop sale (OSTOP310001) if it were just one bike. Hard to believe I'm just finding this after waiting months for my bike to arrive. Guess I should have looked harder. I see a camshaft failure on a 20 mile bike; this cylinder failure report along with the torque issue. Not very comforting that these issues were not found during the standard German thorough testing and evaluation process.

I took my bike in today for its 600 mile service and was informed that BMW has placed a STOP order on sales of the R18. The campaign number is OSTOP310001. Steering head screw.

No further information was available at this time. The dealership didn’t have any idea as this is the only R18 the dealer has sold.
This is correct. The other recall is for the turn signals on the handlebars. They will move them over fractions of an inch. Don't know why yet and I have had neither done at this time (700 miles).
Will pursue it at a later time.

Hi BertramR18, I have a R18 FE. At around 1000mls I experienced on several occasions excessive blue smoke from the left hand exhaust. When I returned it to the dealer I was told to go out and “thrash” it for 50mls!!
I elected to leave them the R18 for further investigation….
They also experienced the clouds of blue smoke from the LH pot and replaced the LH piston with an “improved” item….no further explanation from BMW to the cause.
I am based in the U.K.

22 R18B, 1.6k miles, sometimes it just doesn't want to shift up, no noise or anything yet,

So you say it has to do with an incorrect torque on the steering head nut? too tight or too loose ... you wouldn't happen to know?
That should be easy enough to correct myself if necessary .. but my dealership seems to have no notification for that (doesn't mean it didn't happen)
So I did a little searching and only found this K1600 Stop but that is not the R18 ...

Back