BMW R18 Test Ride from HEAVY DUTY MAGAZINE of Australia

Looks like you're hitting all the usual videos. Are you learning anything you'd like to discuss? Have you gone for a test ride yet?

That is a good point; I owned BMW GS and Harley Softtail bikes when I went to ride the R18. I actually wanted the R18 but knew it was the wrong bike for me... there was no way the foot ergos were going to work. I will admnit some of that opinion came from seeing reviews from amateurs on youtube. Once I switched it to rock I have to admit my dealer let me take a 100 mile test ride and I was blown away by just how much fun this bike is to ride.

The bottom like is this bike is your personal cup of tea or its not; I couldnt give a whit about what someone with less riding experience and a good camera has to say about it. BMW lets you ride the bike. Go ride the bike.

Looks like you're hitting all the usual videos. Are you learning anything you'd like to discuss? Have you gone for a test ride yet?
I haven't take one for a test ride. But I have sat on one and took a good look at a first edition and classic. They look awesome, and I like the low seating position. I'm thinking of waiting to see the bagger. One thing I'm wondering is how the vibrations are above 75 mph? I have heard it gets very uncomfortable or too much vibration as some would say. is this true?

one other nagging issue is that I really like the look of the first edition the most compared to the classic (not taking into account the bagger which looks awesome with the . but the classic is just so much more practical. I'm not a fan of how the front part of the classic looks with its smaller tire. Having said that even though the first edition looks better I think from what I have read I would need to get a new seat asap. But I haven't ridden one so who knows at this point.

I haven't take one for a test ride. But I have sat on one and took a good look at a first edition and classic. They look awesome, and I like the low seating position. I'm thinking of waiting to see the bagger. One thing I'm wondering is how the vibrations are above 75 mph? I have heard it gets very uncomfortable or too much vibration as some would say. is this true?

one other nagging issue is that I really like the look of the first edition the most compared to the classic (not taking into account the bagger which looks awesome with the . but the classic is just so much more practical. I'm not a fan of how the front part of the classic looks with its smaller tire. Having said that even though the first edition looks better I think from what I have read I would need to get a new seat asap. But I haven't ridden one so who knows at this point.
1) If you prefer the larger front wheel, that'd be more difficult and expensive to retrofit than saddle bags are to make the FE more "practical." Hunt around here for saddle bag options. Adding bags was The First Mod I did, even before a new seat.
Concerning a wheel swap, this isn't something I've seen done and (knowing BMW) likely involves more than just a new wheel and tire. And FYI, the bagger has the smaller wheel of the Classic and less rake too.

2) The FE seat could be classified as a war crime. There should be trials at The Hague. It absolutely deserves replacement. There are plenty of available options. Figure roughly $500 and you'll never look back.

3) Regarding vibrations, I'm not really sure. I think it's more of a critique of the motor (that it gets beehive-like above a certain RPM?) than a sensation of vibration. Either way, it's not something I notice as I tend to ride 60-70mph and don't have a windscreen to shield me from the environment. Maybe someone else can comment? It's definitely not a recurring complaint around here.

@TodkaVonic

2) The FE seat could be classified as a war crime. There should be trials at The Hague. It absolutely deserves replacement. There are plenty of available options. Figure roughly $500 and you'll never look back.

That literally made me spit out my coffee!!! So True!!!! Love the bike so much more with the weekender seat installed.

Back